The Student Room Group

Materials Science & Engineering and Metallurgy Applicants 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What kinds of questions have you guys been asked at interviews so far? 😊
Reply 41
Hi!
I’d like to ask, I am recently attracted into graphene materials and has been considering UK to continue my master. However, I did my bachelor in chemical engineering, do you think I might have chance?

Original post by username3225674
Offers made to me:
Birmingham - AAA
Sheffield - AAA
Manchester - AAA
Imperial A*AA

Tips about the Interview
- Try and not panic at all, the interviewer just wants to know you better and why you chose this course.
- Know your personal statement inside out. My interviews with Sheffield, Manchester and Imperial were mostly about the materials I was interested in which I wrote in my personal statement.

My personal experience
All Interviews lasted about 30 minutes
Imperial College London - The interview started out with the interviewer (Dr Fang Xie) asking me about why I chose materials science and talking about myself. She then chose a specific point about my personal statement (semiconductors) in which I explained how a transistor and diode worked. We then moved on to some problems in which she gave me a statue so that I can identify the material (it was bronze) and why there were green spots on it. Finally, she asked me how many digits 2^2017 had. (hint: use logarithms).

Sheffield: The interviewer was very inormal and relaxed. She asked me (again) about semiconductors. However, what she was more interested in was concrete as she specialized in the design of materials for nuclear plants. She then asked me about my internship in which I worked with construction materials. The most intruiging question that made me actually think was the problem of the steel rusting inside concrete and what detremental effect it would have on the concrete.

Manchester: The interviewer also picked up on my keen interest in semiconductors and certainly asked hard questions that required further reading about the topic. He asked how semiconductors worked in general, the difference between a BJT and an FET as well as the electronic properties of graphene and why it was not suitable to be used in a transistor. The interview then drifted on about polymers and the semi-crystalline + amorphous arrangement of it (which was not in my personal statement)

I wish you best of luck in your interviews to come
Reply 42
Original post by afw7997
Hi!
I’d like to ask, I am recently attracted into graphene materials and has been considering UK to continue my master. However, I did my bachelor in chemical engineering, do you think I might have chance?

This thread is for students applying to undergrad courses not really for postgrads :smile:

Check the specific entry requirements for the MSc you are interested in. It's pretty likely a ChemEng background will be fine, but it may vary by university.

Quick Reply

Latest