The Student Room Group

Should we pull out of the EU a with No Deal?

This poll is closed

Should we pull out of EU with No deal?

Yes. It would mean complete freedom for Britain. 50%
No. Britain should not have any freedom.50%
Total votes: 10
Discuss the advantages of a No deal Brexit and complete detachment from Europe.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
Discuss the advantages of a No deal Brexit and complete detachment from Europe.

Well if you leave the customs union, internal market and ECJ all you have left is a trade deal.

That’s effectively what we are looking to get and some time to change our government apparatus once we know what deal we get, that’s what the 2 year transition is for.

If they won’t let us get to talk about a trade deal then there is no point in us discussing paying them several 10’s of billions and we can simply bail out.

No one wants that, but it’s what you end up with if you have an unreasonable party in a negotiation, you can decide which party has been unreasonable if this comes to pass.

It will be a logistical nightmare due to not having set up all agencies etc but not the end of the world.

I personally put the blame on Cameron for being so up his own arse he didn’t even ask the civil service to draw up the plans before the referendum in case he lost.
Reply 2
No deal would probably be a disaster, to be honest. There would be all sorts of chaos, and trying to resolve it all in the incredibly short time period we have won't be feasible. Hopefully it won't lead to any long-term problems (at least, no more than leaving the EU will give us anyway), but in the short-to-medium term, it's gonna be rough.

I realise the Tories are suggesting this as they hope it'll coerce the EU into not giving us some terrible take-it-or-leave-it deal, but it feels like an empty bluff. As such I doubt the EU negotiators are gonna fall for it.
Depends on the banker's offer.

The poll you've created is both stupid and biased.

For the sake of avoiding absolute chaos a no deal should be avoided at all costs.
SOVEREIGNTY!!! YAY WE HAZ SOVEREIGNTY!!! WOOHOO!l
Original post by paul514
I personally put the blame on Cameron for being so up his own arse he didn’t even ask the civil service to draw up the plans before the referendum in case he lost.

So it's Remain's fault that Leave had no exit plan? Genius.

Cameron was up his own arse for calling for the referendum to begin with but it isn't his fault that it's gone tits up because Leave won. He, and many others, said this throughout their campaigning - Leave was a vote for uncertainty and chaos and that's what we have now.
Original post by SHallowvale

Cameron was up his own arse for calling for the referendum to begin with but it isn't his fault that it's gone tits up because Leave won. He, and many others, said this throughout their campaigning - Leave was a vote for uncertainty and chaos and that's what we have now.

That’s not what I said, nothing has gone tits up yet either.

My point is if we didn’t have to wait for article 50 we could be 9 months ahead of where we are now.

All the work in government that is still on going for contingency’s etc would have already been done.

There’s only one person at fault for that
Original post by paul514
That’s not what I said, nothing has gone tits up yet either.

My point is if we didn’t have to wait for article 50 we could be 9 months ahead of where we are now.

All the work in government that is still on going for contingency’s etc would have already been done.

There’s only one person at fault for that

That work could have been done prior to Article 50...
That work could have been done prior to Article 50...

Yep it has been going on since may became PM.

These things take quite some time
I voted leave. I even joined UKIP at one point. The way I see it is this... conservatives like ripping the poor off with austerity, labour bang on about it too much and the other parties don't have a working manifesto. The sooner we leave the EU the sooner we can sort our own problems out.
Reply 11
Original post by schizodoc
I voted leave. I even joined UKIP at one point. The way I see it is this... conservatives like ripping the poor off with austerity, labour bang on about it too much and the other parties don't have a working manifesto. The sooner we leave the EU the sooner we can sort our own problems out.

This is some weird logic. So there are some problems in British politics, and thus the solution is to leave the EU which is basically the only entity with any power to mitigate those problems?
Original post by Dez
This is some weird logic. So there are some problems in British politics, and thus the solution is to leave the EU which is basically the only entity with any power to mitigate those problems?

The legal system is currently based in Brussels. I'm not racist. I'm actually a white British Muslim. When I was in London I couldn't find a job because half of London are foreign. The European union still governs us and we can survive without it
Reply 13
The legal system is currently based in Brussels.

No it isn't. Even if it was, the political system and the legal system are not the same thing.

I'm not racist. I'm actually a white British Muslim. When I was in London I couldn't find a job because half of London are foreign. The European union still governs us and we can survive without it

If you seriously believe leaving the EU is going to change any of this, you're going to be in for a bit of a shock come 2019.
Cameron tried and failed to reform the EU "from within". The moment he placed his stake on remaining in the EU after getting his non-existent deal with the EU (which they could easily scrap if we stayed in) he lost the trust of the electorate.
Don't forget that more people turned up to vote on the referendum than many general elections. 17 million voices are basically telling the government to get their act together and govern - they have nobody to blame if it goes tits up.
Original post by paul514
Yep it has been going on since may became PM.

These things take quite some time

Er, I think you've missed the point.

All the work that is being done on contingency at the moment could have been done at any point prior to Article 50. It didn't need to be completed prior to the referendum. Article 50 could have been held until such work had been completed.
I think a last minute deal will be reached which will be pretty shoddy for both sides.
And lol @ the biased poll questions
Reply 17

I didn’t realise that the leave campaign was the government, it’s the governments fault they didn’t have a plan to begin with.
Er, I think you've missed the point.

All the work that is being done on contingency at the moment could have been done at any point prior to Article 50. It didn't need to be completed prior to the referendum. Article 50 could have been held until such work had been completed.

Uncertainty for business is worse than anything else, the talks were always going to bring uncertainty but the 9 month wait for them shouldn’t have been needed and neither should the extra months you propose.

Why can’t you accept this should all have been done before the referendum?
The legal system is currently based in Brussels. I'm not racist. I'm actually a white British Muslim. When I was in London I couldn't find a job because half of London are foreign.

Maybe you couldn't get a job because you don't have the right skills or attitude?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending