The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

generalebriety
Go on then, genius. How?

I presume you're aware, by the way, before you make yourself look stupid, that UCAS strips out all unnecessary spaces when your form gets sent off, so you can't 'indent'.

Get defensive easily much? Here's the basic English lesson you so gracefully asked for. You write the paragraphs like this. And yes, I am aware that UCAS remove indentation:

"Romances – into the 18th century the general generic term – were originally written in verse. Prose became the regular medium with the introduction of paper – in Europe in the 14th and 15th centuries, in Asia earlier. Prose provided the ideal matter for silent and intimate reading, it could be translated without greater stylistic losses. Paper (cheaper than parchment) could be easier spent on coincidental wordings of long prose histories. The printed book completed the development towards a product which could actually address the individual silent reader. Verse romances became part of the epic tradition; prose romances developed an internal debate over their proper design and their special history. I just put in this sentence to take up space. But I'm sure you see how easy it is to do.
A frequent, and immediately controversial, part of any modern definition is fictionality, invention – a problematic characteristic since authors of prose fiction have repeatedly dealt with history with unprecedented frankness and since we have "true" histories which intentionally spread misinformation and manipulation, carefully crafted fictions, without ever being discussed as novels. The statement which avoided both problems is the older one that novels and romances are a legitimate reading for their being both instructive and diverting,[1] even if they should be mere fictions, inventions. And a bit more text to make up the distance to prove the point.
The criterion of length flourished in two diametrically oppositional debates since the 1680s – first with the question how long a novel, the short genre of stories, could be without becoming a “romance”. More than one hundred pages would in Defoe’s days run the risk of attracting the detested term “romance”. The debate changed its direction when the generic term “novel” actually became the term for the genre of extended “romantic” fictions.[2] One ultimately needed a new word for what had been a – short – novel so far. “Novella” became the appropriate term in Spanish and English. Ian McEwan’s On Chesil Beach became in 2007 the object of the modern debate when critics complained, its 166 pages listed for the Booker Prize could hardly be called a “novel” – they were at best a “novella”.[3] The modern novel has no longer a boundary with the longer romance, it occupies that very place and it must consequently defend a new boundary ironically with the short novella that it once was."

By doing it like this, you get about 4 extra lines of text that you wouldn't have used if you'd just left the line blank. Whether you do it like that or not is up to you, but remember that even if you don't, other people will and they'll use that extra space to prove that they're more worthy applicants than you are.
Reply 21
<_<

Couldn't be bothered reading that.
Even if it wasn't really relevant.

Thus my point stands.
FyreFight
Get defensive easily much? Here's the basic English lesson you so gracefully asked for. You write the paragraphs like this. And yes, I am aware that UCAS remove indentation:

That's very nice, but if your lines aren't only three words long, the paragraphs still look like a big text block. Also, I'm fairly sure that your text is shrunk down, so your lines might not look the same as they do on the Apply preview.
Joanna May
That's very nice, but if your lines aren't only three words long, the paragraphs still look like a big text block. Also, I'm fairly sure that your text is shrunk down, so your lines might not look the same as they do on the Apply preview.

As long as lines are 2/3 words shorter at the end of the paragraph, it's still pretty clear where the paragraph ends. By leaving about half a line blank in the preview you'll probably be fine when it gets shrunk. And even if you're unlucky and it does still look like a text block, then you still have the advantage of a whole extra paragraph than everyone else has.

EvenStevens

<_<

Couldn't be bothered reading that.
Even if it wasn't really relevant.

Thus my point stands.

You only needed to read about 3 lines from my post and you couldn't be bothered? =/ Why are you even going into higher education?
FyreFight
Get defensive easily much? Here's the basic English lesson you so gracefully asked for. You write the paragraphs like this.

Yes, I get defensive easily when I quite clearly know what I'm talking about. I'm a personal statement helper on this site. Despite not having been one for more than 5 months, I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of personal statements in my time, and I know what the admissions tutors are looking for. Those things that you've written may be intended to be paragraphs, but they might as well be all written on the same line, because you can't tell whether new sentences starting at the left-hand margin are new paragraphs or just inconveniently placed word wrapping.

FyreFight
By doing it like this, you get about 4 extra lines of text that you wouldn't have used if you'd just left the line blank. Whether you do it like that or not is up to you, but remember that even if you don't, other people will and they'll use that extra space to prove that they're more worthy applicants than you are.

And back to my little "I know what I'm talking about" game: who the hell needs 47 lines of text to write a personal statement? Half of what the average applicant writes on a personal statement is unnecessary (or unnecessarily verbose) and, consequently, unread.
Why doesn't everyone just press 'Enter' on their keyboard when they want to start a new paragraph??? I did, and my PS looks perfectly adequate in the circumstances. I can't believe admissions staff would blame the student for the lack of formatting ability, however I will admit, right here and now, the line limit is somewhat unnecessary. University students are not the type to format their PS in such a shoddy manner that it takes up 5 pages or more when printed. The limit was probably put into place to keep the application file sizes to a minimum (there'll be a difference in size needed to save a text character and a line space) when sending them out to Unis. Or maybe they're just mean and it's a test to see who can effectively use the space.... :confused:
FyreFight
You only needed to read about 3 lines from my post and you couldn't be bothered? =/ Why are you even going into higher education?

Tell me, why do you leave double spaces between paragraphs in your posts on this forum if it doesn't make them any more easily legible?

Good.
I don't get the issue here.

Yeah, the limit sucks. But we are all in the same boat and complaining isn't going to change anything (for our batch anyway).

Sheesh.
Reply 28
I know complaining will have absolutely no effect.

But I like to complain.
It makes me feel better. >_>
Stevo the Victorious
Why doesn't everyone just press 'Enter' on their keyboard when they want to start a new paragraph??? I did, and my PS looks perfectly adequate in the circumstances. I can't believe admissions staff would blame the student for the lack of formatting ability

It's not a case of "blaming" the student. Admissions tutors aren't given huge lists of guidelines of things to tick off. Accepting someone for university entry is very subjective, and if you get left with any negative impressions of a student (particularly at a very high-ranked university), you'll most likely reject them. The lack of objective criteria to look for means that admissions tutors are (at least partly) going on instinct, gut feelings, and common sense. Please tell me you realise that if someone types a 47-line paragraph you will think, no matter how minutely, "oh for ****'s sake, do I really want to read this person's essays for the next three years"?

Stevo the Victorious
however I will admit, right here and now, the line limit is somewhat unnecessary. University students are not the type to format their PS in such a shoddy manner that it takes up 5 pages or more when printed. The limit was probably put into place to keep the application file sizes to a minimum (there'll be a difference in size needed to save a text character and a line space) when sending them out to Unis. Or maybe they're just mean and it's a test to see who can effectively use the space.... :confused:

A linebreak takes up the same 'space' (in filesize) as two characters. So, no. It's to make it fit on the page, because it all gets printed off at the other end. It's also to give it a sensible limit, because admissions tutors don't want to read a biography.
EvenStevens
I know complaining will have absolutely no effect.

But I like to complain.
It makes me feel better. >_>

:rolleyes:

(Me too :biggrin:)
Reply 31
Wouldn't it be useful to indent paragraphs instead of leaving lines?
I don't know, just a suggestion really. Then you might be able to include a little more text.
generalebriety
Yes, I get defensive easily when I quite clearly know what I'm talking about. I'm a personal statement helper on this site. Despite not having been one for more than 5 months, I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of personal statements of personal statements in my time, and I know what the admissions tutors are looking for. Those things that you've written may be intended to be paragraphs, but they might as well be all written on the same line, because you can't tell whether new sentences starting at the left-hand margin are new paragraphs or just inconveniently placed word wrapping.

Why does it matter that you can't tell whether sentences starting on the left-hand margin are new paragraphs? You just look to where the text moves onto a new line before reaching the right-hand margin. Looking at the paragraphs I quoted, I can tell instantly that it's 3 paragraphs long. Any extra lines between are superfluous.

And back to my little "I know what I'm talking about" game: who the hell needs 47 lines of text to write a personal statement? Half of what the average applicant writes on a personal statement is unnecessary (or unnecessarily verbose) and, consequently, unread.

I don't know how much the average applicant does in their spare time, but I know for sure that I had more than 47 lines worth of relevant accomplishments, work experience and the likes to talk about in my PS. If someone has had a life so dull that they can't even fill an A4 page with talking about it, I feel sorry for them.

generalebriety
Tell me, why do you leave double spaces between paragraphs in your posts on this forum if it doesn't make them any more easily legible?

Good.

Because TSR doesn't have a 47 line limit? :yy:
Reply 33
Jessaay!
Wouldn't it be useful to indent paragraphs instead of leaving lines?
I don't know, just a suggestion really. Then you might be able to include a little more text.

As already mentioned in the thread, any unnecessary whitespace (namely indentations) get filtered out so you're just left with solid lines in the end anyway.
Reply 34
Sorry, I didn't see the second page.
I'm only in AS, so I just advised blindly as I was thinking more along the lines of essay writing as I used to use unnecessary lines between paragraphs.
Seems a little silly though.
FyreFight
I don't know how much the average applicant does in their spare time, but I know for sure that I had more than 47 lines worth of relevant accomplishments, work experience and the likes to talk about in my PS. If someone has had a life so dull that they can't even fill an A4 page with talking about it, I feel sorry for them.

I wrote 44 lines for my statement (four paragraphs with blank lines in between each) and I managed to mention:
two residential trips relevant to my course
another day trip
several books and newspapers I read in foreign languages
why my subjects were important
why I wanted to study the languages
teaching in a local primary school
relevant work experience
my part time job
the skills and attributes that I feel make me suitable for the course.

Sure, I had a couple of other things I could mention, but they weren't relevant enough to merit mention.

The universities don't want to read 47 lines of waffle, when a shorter statement will do. From helping friends with their statements, I found that those who used up or exceeded the line limit generally tending to mention irrelevant things the admissions tutors didn't really care about. Being concise is an important skill.
FyreFight
Why does it matter that you can't tell whether sentences starting on the left-hand margin are new paragraphs? You just look to where the text moves onto a new line before reaching the right-hand margin. Looking at the paragraphs I quoted, I can tell instantly that it's 3 paragraphs long. Any extra lines between are superfluous.
Yes, but we're not interested in the admissions tutors counting the number of paragraphs. It makes it harder to read if you can't scan down the left margin and pick out the paragraphs. :s-smilie:

FyreFight
Oh, my arse you did. How much of your "relevant accomplishments" do you think the average admissions tutor cares about? I'll give you a clue: not as many as you think.

You should kinda trust me on this, not just feel the need to keep replying because my earlier post was strongly worded.

FyreFight
Because TSR doesn't have a 47 line limit? :yy:

You're answering a question I didn't ask. You're answering why it's acceptable to put extra linebreaks in your posts, not why it's a good idea. You're telling me extra lines are superfluous, and yet you put them into your posts because it makes them easier to read. Yes? Marvellous. So what I said was right? Good. I'm not going senile.
Joanna May
I wrote 44 lines for my statement (four paragraphs with blank lines in between each) and I managed to mention:
two residential trips relevant to my course
another day trip
several books and newspapers I read in foreign languages
why my subjects were important
why I wanted to study the languages
teaching in a local primary school
relevant work experience
my part time job
the skills and attributes that I feel make me suitable for the course.

Sure, I had a couple of other things I could mention, but they weren't relevant enough to merit mention.

The universities don't want to read 47 lines of waffle, when a shorter statement will do. From helping friends with their statements, I found that those who used up or exceeded the line limit generally tending to mention irrelevant things the admissions tutors didn't really care about. Being concise is an important skill.

Indeed, and I'd be willing to bet money that most of your admissions tutors didn't read past why you wanted to study the languages.
Reply 38
This is kind of worrying >_<

My admissions tutors need to read my entire personal statement, as it gives a decent view of the kind of person I am and what I've achieved in life. Right till the very end.
I had too many characters initialy and i managed to get it down to 4000 but then i found out i had "too many lines", and i have no way of knowing which areas needed to be shortened because UCAS formats it all funny, so i had to delete a load of stuff untill i deleted the right bits by trial and error.

Latest

Trending

Trending