The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
HPSH
Well, yes, but for the sake of the RAE's Imperial have far fewer subjects to worry about ergo they need far fewer people doing top quality research than anywhere else to get the top grades - It's worth noting that no other evaluation of research quality puts Imperial so high. Note that I'm not criticising Imperial for their focus on science, merely claiming that's it's easier for them to manipulate the system. I'd be curious to know how they did on the A/B/C rating.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Cambridge: 5* A
Imperial: 5* A
Lancaster: 5* A
Oxford: 5* A
Southampton: 5* B
Is that a particular subject?
Reply 102
Yeah, Physics.
http://www.hero.ac.uk/rae/Results/

If you go here and look at results by institution for both Oxford & Imperial it's pretty notable that, for the most part, Imperial have B rankings & Oxford A rankings. That's pretty suggestive of what I claimed might be the case earlier - Imperial, faciliated by the small number of subjects they're being judged on, submit a considerably smaller percentage of their academics up for evaluation, with a correspondingly distortive effect on their rankings.
Reply 104
Except for Physics. :wink: Now, I understand they're not better overall, but given that I'm a physicist, I don't really care about the Bs elsewhere!
Reply 105
lol @ "bashing"
in london, to "bash" means something else...

lol
Reply 106
HPSH
I'd quite like to see you argue that there are UK universities which, as a whole, are better than Oxford or Cambridge for research.

I'd quite like to see you proving that Oxford or Cambridge are the best in everything for research. And just because you are going there don't try to convince urself you are going to the best and only those 2 unis are good in the UK and in the world and that is one of the reasons I'd never go there.. you can start seein the arrogance on people even before they start studyin there... :smile:

Cheers,

war
Reply 107
Eternal Student
I assume that you mean that you can't agree that Oxford and Cambridge have the best facilities or the best academic staff. I suggest you look up the UK university research league tables. Oxford and Cambridge consistently come out at the top. This is because they attract some of the best academics in the world (by research, publication, and academic reputation. even if they aren't necessarily the best teachers), extremely high standard undergraduates and post-graduate researchers, a very substantial amount of research funding, and are rich, so can afford first class facilities. They might not be the best at everything, but on average they come out on top. The reason, therefore, that claim is made for them is because it is supported by the evidence.

I quite often have to do selections for jobs. When I am looking at application forms, I will often shortlist Oxford/Cambridge graduates provided they meet the essential criteria for the post because I know they are very bright, probably hard-working, and usually quite sparky. They might not succeed at interview, but they have a good chance of at least getting a foot in through the door. Once they have the job, they're on a level playing field with everyone else, and it's their performance in post that counts. That being said, they often turn out to be very good employees as well.

And that is why people like to have Oxford/Cambridge on their CVs.

That's because of people like you that I don't look at League Tables and perhaps you can try to explain me why would you rather employ someone from Oxford than someone from Southampton let's say... just because the oxford one had AAA at A'Levels? Just because he had no social life before coming to uni? Or even at uni?

Oh well I'm not here to argue with geeks I'm sorry.

Cheers,

war
warblade
I'd quite like to see you prove that Oxford or Cambridge are the best at everything for research. And just because you are going there don't try to convince yourself that you are going to the best and only those 2 unis are good in the UK and in the world and that is one of the reasons I'd never go there.. you can start seeing the arrogance on people even before they start studying there... :smile:

You're an idiot.

Firstly, I've at no point claimed that Oxbridge are the best for everything. Secondly, I've not made the even more absurd claim that they're the only two good unis. Thirdly, you're the one who first made the claimed that Oxbridge aren't the best for research so the onus falls on you. Given that you've failed to provide any evidence whatsoever even when asked, I can't imagine you have a terribly strong case. Finally, at what point in this thread have I insinuated anything about myself? I may well have been admitted by accident
just because the oxford one had AAA at A'Levels? Just because he had no social life before coming to uni? Or even at uni?
How do you think you know anything about the social lives of oxford students?
Reply 110
Most people grew out of mocking academic success before they started taking exams that matter. I guess this guy didn't, which perhaps explains the bitternes...
warblade
just because the oxford one had AAA at A'Levels? Just because he had no social life before coming to uni? Or even at uni?

What makes you think that someone with AAA at A-level has no social life? I know plenty of people who have achieved that, and still had perhaps I better social life than I have.
Reply 112
I highly doubt one has to necessarily sacrifice their social life to achieve AAA at A-level. Besides, having lower grades doesn't necessarily imply one has a vibrant social life. Those with lower grades could very well be shut-ins playing World of Warcraft all day.
warblade
That's because of people like you that I don't look at League Tables and perhaps you can try to explain me why would you rather employ someone from Oxford than someone from Southampton let's say... just because the oxford one had AAA at A'Levels? Just because he had no social life before coming to uni? Or even at uni?

Oh well I'm not here to argue with geeks I'm sorry.

Cheers,

war

Oh dear, where to start?

I answered your question in my original post, if you'd bothered to read it properly. To repeat: because I know they're likely to have a good work ethic, because they're very bright, and because they often have an extra spark which is what sets them apart from the rest of the triple or quadruple A applicants.

You asked for evidence that Oxford and Cambridge were the best academically and in terms of facilities. I gave it to you. You came back to me saying, if I understand you correctly, that "because of people" like me you don't look at the evidence. If the evidence doesn't convince you, you're probably a bit short on academic rigour and possibly not Oxford/Cambridge material in the first place. Is that why you seem to have such a problem with them?

As others have said, I have no idea what on earth leads you to suppose that Oxford/Cambridge students had no social life at school or at university. You clearly have no personal experience of either of those universities, because if you had you wouldn't be making such sweeping, ill-informed and unfounded statements.

If you hadn't wanted to argue with geeks, you probably wouldn't have posted in the terms that you did.

Just to complete the record, I wouldn't necessarily prefer someone from Oxford or Cambridge to candidates from other universities at interview stage, only at shortlisting. The original thread was 'why to people want to go to Oxbridge?' One of the answers is because they're more employable as a result. You might not like that answer, but it's the truth. Yet again, just because you don't like the evidence doesn't make it any less compelling.
Reply 114
HPSH
You're an idiot.

Firstly, I've at no point claimed that Oxbridge are the best for everything. Secondly, I've not made the even more absurd claim that they're the only two good unis. Thirdly, you're the one who first made the claimed that Oxbridge aren't the best for research so the onus falls on you. Given that you've failed to provide any evidence whatsoever even when asked, I can't imagine you have a terribly strong case. Finally, at what point in this thread have I insinuated anything about myself? I may well have been admitted by accident

Yea i no i'm an idiot as well. oh and i like peanuts also.

EDIT: That's my last post on this thread. If you think oxbridge are the best on everything have a look around other unis. I doubt for example that Oxford or Cambridge have bettter sport facilities than Brunel or Bath for example and I havn't been around a lot of unis to say this eventho i've been in oxf and cambridge before. over an' out.

oh by the way have a good 2008.
flump
I I think this proves, to my satisfaction if no one elses, that Oxbridge graduates can be brilliant and successful or self obsessed failures. Simple really. :smile:

Fair comment. You're right - being an Oxford/Cambridge graduate doesn't necessarily make people good at 'proper jobs' and I can think of one or two who were really dire (interestingly enough because they too thought themselves to be intellectually superior to their colleagues, which made them hard to manage and unpopular). However, a far higher relative proportion of staff from Oxford/Cambridge have been very good.

I reckon you can often tell at interview whether they're going to be the self-obsessed type for whom nothing is ever going to be good enough. The ones I'm looking for need to be innovative self-starters (what I mean by 'sparky') who are good at whole-systems thinking. In my experience, it's the extremely bright people who come with well-developed skills in those areas, and it tends to go hand-in-hand with high standards of academic achievement. But not always!
Reply 116
warblade
Yea i no i'm an idiot as well. oh and i like peanuts also.

EDIT: That's my last post on this thread. If you think oxbridge are the best on everything have a look around other unis. I doubt for example that Oxford or Cambridge have bettter sport facilities than Brunel or Bath for example and I havn't been around a lot of unis to say this eventho i've been in oxf and cambridge before. over an' out.

oh by the way have a good 2008.

Erm... I'm not going to uni to do sports... For some people it's a consideration, but for most people the sports facilities at Oxford and Cambridge are more than adequate.
Reply 117
Eternal Student
Fair comment. You're right - being an Oxford/Cambridge graduate doesn't necessarily make people good at 'proper jobs' and I can think of one or two who were really dire (interestingly enough because they too thought themselves to be intellectually superior to their colleagues, which made them hard to manage and unpopular). However, a far higher relative proportion of staff from Oxford/Cambridge have been very good.

I reckon you can often tell at interview whether they're going to be the self-obsessed type for whom nothing is ever going to be good enough. The ones I'm looking for need to be innovative self-starters (what I mean by 'sparky') who are good at whole-systems thinking. In my experience, it's the extremely bright people who come with well-developed skills in those areas, and it tends to go hand-in-hand with high standards of academic achievement. But not always!

Yes, I absolutely agree but obviously interviews are a minefield. Do you think that when it fails it tends to do so in a big way? Obviously this doesn't always apply but I have had one or two that seem set on self destruct mode.
Reply 118
HCD
Erm... I'm not going to uni to do sports... For some people it's a consideration, but for most people the sports facilities at Oxford and Cambridge are more than adequate.

I meant sport degrees.

And as for the last post by "Eternal Student" u think exactly the same way as me but I still can't agree on the "sparky" factor unless u mean something else and then its different.
Reply 119
warblade
EDIT: That's my last post on this thread.

warblade
I meant sport degrees.

And as for the last post by "Eternal Student" u think exactly the same way as me but I still can't agree on the "sparky" factor unless u mean something else and then its different.

Damn. And there we were all hoping "this is my last post" was true :/

Latest

Trending

Trending