The Student Room Group

New Ch 4 Muslim documentary.

Scroll to see replies

I remember a colleague, who is a White male, once remarking to me, that although, I, as a Black male, obviously experienced racism that he would never experience-he, the White male, HEARD AND SAW it in places and ways that I never would. I was intrigued by his comment, and he went on to explain that BECAUSE he was a White male, when he was in social settings with judges, powerful people in business, government and commerce, the comments that were made around him would be so over the top-things that normally would never be said in a "mixed" setting or context, but because he was also White, the people purveying those kinds of comments presumed it would be okay to say and that he'd agree.

And of course there is the famous story giving rise to the book "Black Like Me."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Like_Me
So, for sometime, there have been scholars, researchers and activists, in attempts to actually be helpful and shine a light on discrimination in a way that a person who is not a member of the race or group in question could perhaps understand-to dress or appear as a member of the race or group. Such efforts, I do not believe, are racist or intended to belittle people and are not meant to evoke a comparison between minstrels, and black/brown face skits that are racist and degrading. So, I can understand people, on a sensitive topic such as this, not liking what she did, or perhaps not liking how it was handled/presented in the documentary, but I do hope some good can come from it, as has come from similar efforts in the past.

Original post by QE2
Is the outrage justified?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/oct/19/my-week-as-a-muslim-documentary-sparks-racism-row

TL;DR
Channel 4 disguised a white British woman as a South Asian Muslim who lived with a Muslim family for a week in order to experience "Islamophobia" first hand.

A range of Muslim groups and individuals have branded the programme "racist", "deeply offensive", "absolutely shocking", and "reinforcing prejudice".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending