The Student Room Group

Cambridge History Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrkingpenguin
History, English, Economics and Maths. I think you do A levels in aus as well right?

Oh and if you want any info on colleges feel free to direct message me. :smile:

Is St Johns the one everyone online jokes about? Haha I gather the joking is out of jealousy
Original post by SydneyKid
Oh thanks :smile: Well in Australia we do the Higher School Certificate (HSC) and we take quite a few subjects, most people do about seven

What makes you want to go to Cambridge?
Original post by SydneyKid
Is St Johns the one everyone online jokes about? Haha I gather the joking is out of jealousy

Yeah i looked round it a few days ago and someone told me that people joke 'i'd rather be at oxford than st. johns', and that it has a stereotype of being rich and posh. In reality though everyone there is really friendly and there is a massively diverse range of people; all the colleges have their stereotypes (Trinity - socially inept nerd, Kings- Communists, Newnham - lesbians etc. lol) - all of the stereotypes are mostly rubbish.

Reason i like st. johns is rooms are nice, its sporty and its right round the corner from the history faculty.
Yeah i looked round it a few days ago and someone told me that people joke 'i'd rather be at oxford than st. johns', and that it has a stereotype of being rich and posh. In reality though everyone there is really friendly and there is a massively diverse range of people; all the colleges have their stereotypes (Trinity - socially inept nerd, Kings- Communists, Newnham - lesbians etc. lol) - all of the stereotypes are mostly rubbish.

Reason i like st. johns is rooms are nice, its sporty and its right round the corner from the history faculty.

Oh really what sports do you play? I'm a cross country runner :smile:
What makes you want to go to Cambridge?

Well I guess the simple reason is I love History and I love the Cambridge course there are so many options!

I'm trying to figure out how to private message sorry still new here :colondollar:
Hello! Just wondering if there are any current History students at Cambridge about? Would love some advice!
Original post by aworldalone
Hello! Just wondering if there are any current History students at Cambridge about? Would love some advice!

:hi:, PM me
How is everyone preparing for interview? :smile:
Original post by aworldalone
How is everyone preparing for interview? :smile:

I am going over everything I have mentioned in my personal statement and essays. I am also trying to think about what sorts of the questions they might ask and how I am gonna respond to that.
Reply 410
Are there any current History students about? Could really use some advice..
What sort of things should I be including in my Personal Statement?
Reply 412
Hi! I will be in the Mphil Medieval History in September. Is there any other medievalist?
Original post by randomhouse
What sort of things should I be including in my Personal Statement?

Extracurriculars shouldn't be more than about 1/5 of the statement. The majority of the statement should be something like this:

1. Here's something I am interested in.
2. Here's what I've read while looking into this.
3. This is what I think of what I've read (and don't just say that it was interesting).
4. (possibly) here's how my views have changed as I've read.

Don't waste words explaining why history is important/interesting. The interviewers don't need convincing of that; they have, after all, committed to careers as historians...

Also don't put anything in you haven't read properly; it's better to be able to discuss an article in depth than have to defend something you've written about Gibbon having glanced over the first few pages... The flip side is that a good personal statement gives your interviewers something to work with and can therefore make your life a lot easier, in that they'll be asking you about things you're actually interested in.
Hi guys!

I thought I'd start a thread, seeing as we don't yet have one, so we can all stress, celebrate and commiserate together 😂

I think we should introduce ourselves regarding colleges, A levels and what we have heard so far.

I'll start:

A levels: History 💕, Geography and English Lit.

College: Robinson

Latest news: still waiting for interview news.

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending