The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by DJMayes
I don't know who told them. There are 3 people in my year at Pembroke going on to do Part III. I was entirely pure and am going on to Probability/Analysis/Combinatorics, one was in the middle (I believe will be doing Statistics/Numerical stuff) and the other, who is a Physics guy, mentioned to me recently that he had to learn P&M over the summer for some quantum course.

Huh. Reminds me of Smaug123's friend who claimed to use Met + Top in some applied part III course. I think these applied mathmos might be going above their stations a bit. :wink:

Not too far off the truth! :tongue: Professor Leader plays table tennis regularly with my Director of Studies, and was actually playing the afternoon of our first exam, so I saw him and my DoS as they were leaving. I've been supervised by him so when he asked how the exam went, I profusely thanked him for the question he had given us...

You have my thanks for thanking him :yy:. I wonder if these engagements were the source of Datta's "tennis elbow", which the freshers at Churchill complained to me she was whining about in 2015 during Probability supervisions... :giggle:

I liked Linear Analysis a lot too. I don't think it's as outright cool in places as other courses but it's just generally solid.

I thought the cool was subtle... no show-stopping moments but consistently interesting theory and proofs. Like the many big isomorphisms, the many different applications of Baire Category, the Urysohn "onion" function, the proof of Stone-Weierstrass by "folding laundry", the way the basic Hilbert space theory reduced to 2D geometry when looked at a certain way... though tbh, it was my favourite course mostly because of the absence of the kind of unintuitive or technical garbage, or just plain massive leaps in difficulty, that littered every other pure course I tried.

Galois was an odd course to me - despite revision suggesting it was one of my stronger courses, it was my 2nd weakest in exams

Similar thing happened to my friend. The bookwork looked pretty taxing to me.

after Logic (which was kind of expected). Part II did teach me algebra was definitely not for me though;

Same. I felt a big jump from GRM compared to with the analysis courses. Though honestly, part II taught me maths is definitely not for me :lol:.

I went through Number Fields (though didn't take it to exams) and remember a sum total of nothing from the course.

It's such a weird course. The lecturing tries to force it to conform to the structure of a pure part II course but it's not really possible to learn that way because the underlying theory is too advanced and is presented with the motivation stripped away to make it teachable in part II, which in turn makes all of it too confusing. And it takes time to figure out what's important among all the stuff.

If I were teaching it, I would first present a minimal set of theory, mostly without proofs, easily understandable by anyone who's done GRM, and get onto the standard calculations ASAP, with many lectured examples and sheet questions internalising the theory via applications. And only then would I bother with any attempt to actually explain the theory. In fact, if that last sentence were removed, NF would become a really fun little applied course on algebraic number theory appealing to anyone who likes doing mathsy puzzles. As it is, we mostly ignore the theoretical stuff and hope it doesn't come up in the exam...

On the other hand, the courses I found most interesting lined up nicely with the ones I did best in in exams, so has made Part III course selection comparatively straightforward.

Nice :smile:. Which courses are you choosing? Combinatorics, Functional Analysis, Advanced Probability? Analysis of PDEs? Stochastic Calculus? :colone:
Original post by Zacken
Indeed, for maths, they very much do not care at all about your other non-maths subjects. A-Levels don't mean anything to them, not with STEP and interviews there in place to provide much more suitable choosing criterion for them. So, really, if you're not interested in your more-than-3-A-Levels, drop them, they won't hinder you one bit. Honestly, it'll probably increase your chances of meeting the STEP offer by giving you more time to prepare.

Like jneill said, it's all about the maths for Maths.

Thank you so much Zacken.
I am definitely going to drop Biology but I'll HAVE to do 4 A Levels, school rules.
Any thoughts on which programming language(s) to look at over the Summer, results permitting? At the moment I'm barely competent at Python and not a great deal else; is it worth looking at Matlab etc.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5983
Original post by Krollo
Any thoughts on which programming language(s) to look at over the Summer, results permitting? At the moment I'm barely competent at Python and not a great deal else; is it worth looking at Matlab etc.?

Not if you can avoid it, haha. Python is much better language to learn in general because it's nicer idiomatically, more generally applicable and vastly preferable to employers. I like it both generally and for maths, but I don't know much about other languages. It's certainly better than MATLAB for both.

I used MATLAB for some applied CATAM projects because of its better matrix handling and integrated graph and table facilities, which I learnt to use very quickly by ripping off the sample solution. I don't know how much effort it is figuring out the corresponding Python packages.

Anyway, I consider it a waste of time explicitly learning to use MATLAB for CATAM anyway, but particularly if you already know another language, even if you end up using MATLAB for CATAM itself.

My unlucky friend of poor Galois performance was given a searching stare at a job interview when he mentioned knowing MATLAB.

"You don't know anything else?"

:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pyoro

Nice :smile:. Which courses are you choosing? Combinatorics, Functional Analysis, Advanced Probability? Analysis of PDEs? Stochastic Calculus? :colone:

The following are definite:

1) Advanced Probability (3, Michaelmas) (Around 1/3 of the way through self-teaching in advance)
2) Functional Analysis (3, Michaelmas)
3) Combinatorics (2, Michaelmas)

So I have 8/19 units locked down so far. Then I have the following to consider:

1) Essay (3, Lent)
2) Introduction to Additive Combinatorics (2, Michaelmas)
3) Ramsey Theory (2, Lent)
4) Topics In Ergodic Theory (3, Michaelmas)
5) Percolation and Random Walks on Graphs (2, Michaelmas)
6) Mixing Times of Markov Chains (2, Michaelmas)
7) Schramm-Loewner Evolutions (2, Lent)
8) Stochastic Calculus and Applications (3, Lent)

There used to be a probabilistic number theory course but as of yet it's not been confirmed to be returning. This list will then possibly grow a bit by October. Most likely at the minute is adding (1) and (8) for 14 units overall, and then deciding what to do thereafter - 2 more of those courses seems quite likely, and I'm thoroughly undecided on which to do. Another in Michaelmas almost certainly and maybe 2, though I'd prefer to have another Lent course for some balance.

PDE's scare me but unfortunately they seem to be the focus in Part III Analysis outside of Functional so I'm very much a split between probability and combinatorics, which seems like a pretty good matching to have.
Original post by Ben385
Hi all, I have been thinking a lot about my part II course choices and wanted to ask if it is a ridiculous proposition to take courses from two very distinct areas.

I love probability & statistics and could see myself going into something in mathematical finance with it ...

Some good advice already. i would add the following: if you are serious about going into the quantitative end of mathematical finance, then you will need to understand Brownian motion at some point in your life. To do this properly, you will need measure theory! Perhaps linear analysis would also help put the measure theory in context.

The Cambridge Measure and Probability course strikes me as quite challenging and a bit of a hodge-podge of material, with too much shoe-horned in to 24 lectures. In my day Measure Theory and Probability Theory each had a 24 lecture course! So, if you don't do the Part II course, make sure you read a good book like Schilling's "Measures, Integrals and Martingales" before you attempt Part III.
Do people get supervised on Complex methods AND Complex analysis if they want to. Anyone personally know of this happening, or if this option has been denied by their DoS to only choose one course
Original post by FanaticEV
Do people get supervised on Complex methods AND Complex analysis if they want to. Anyone personally know of this happening, or if this option has been denied by their DoS to only choose one course

What is the point? I'm not sure you're allowed to take both courses to exam and given the large amount of crossover between the two there isn't much reason otherwise.
Original post by DJMayes
What is the point? I'm not sure you're allowed to take both courses to exam and given the large amount of crossover between the two there isn't much reason otherwise.

Because I have an interest in both pure and applied so I do not want to choose between them before even studying the courses, considering I dont feel at all strongly either way. Currently my interest is piqued in the applicable.

Choosing for exams is another matter. Besides there is no restriction to do both courses in the exam, though you'd only get one extra question. However exams are not my consideration whatsoever, purely learning the maths is.

So to answer my original question? (If you can not, please refrain from responding :smile: )
Because I have an interest in both pure and applied so I do not want to choose between them before even studying the courses, considering I dont feel at all strongly either way. Currently my interest is piqued in the applicable.

Choosing for exams is another matter. Besides there is no restriction to do both courses in the exam, though you'd only get one extra question. However exams are not my consideration whatsoever, purely learning the maths is.

So to answer my original question? (If you can not, please refrain from responding :smile: )

Yes, but the crossover is such that you're going to be wasting a lot of time doing it this way. I did ask my DoS about doing both back when I started IB and was told it was a complete waste of time and felt like relaying this information to you. The larger difference between the courses is in approach rather than content, which is why so many of the questions are shared (thank you for reminding me of this). With that in mind, especially given that you profess to be interested in both pure and applied and so surely have no shortage of courses you'd be interested in, would you not spend the time doing a completely different course rather than rehashing much of the same material?

Forgive me as I am certainly aware of how I am coming across but it is for a reason - your time could be better spent. However, to strictly answer your question, no I don't know of anyone who got supervised in both. There are some people who know the content from both courses but I believe they attended Complex Analysis whilst self-teaching the standalone topics from Methods in their own time.
Reply 5990
Original post by DJMayes
PDE's scare me but unfortunately they seem to be the focus in Part III Analysis outside of Functional so I'm very much a split between probability and combinatorics, which seems like a pretty good matching to have.

A nice set of courses. And those are the exact topics all your job interview questions would be on if you ever leave. Canny :ahee:.

It's convenient in Churchill atm because the same guy supervises both courses, so there was in my year just a small heap of supervisees billed as "Methods and Analysis... to be extended beyond the hour if necessary". You may run into problems if there are distinct supervisors who don't know each other's courses, but then I'd suggest self-teaching that part of Complex Methods, which is usually said to be easy. I also agree with DJ that it's a waste of time doing questions on the common parts of the courses twice.

(Whether or not those analysis supervisions from a physicist were any good is another matter...)

Obligatory warning that from the point of view of exams, the non-joint part of Complex Methods is much less work to learn than that of Complex Analysis, because it's easier, because it overlaps with Methods and because of the huge amount of extra theory in CA marginally speaking, you get 1L + 1S question in exchange for learning an entire theory, an entirely new way of thinking.

Original post by DJMayes

You're allowed; Leo got οn those courses. In general with these things, if it were forbidden, you'd probably have heard about it.
Original post by Pyoro
A nice set of courses. And those are the exact topics all your job interview questions would be on if you ever leave. Canny :ahee:.

You're allowed; Leo got οn those courses. In general with these things, if it were forbidden, you'd probably have heard about it.

Of course Leo got alphas on them. That guy is so good he even gets alphas on the short questions. :tongue:

Go to analysis and then you can learn the extra stuff in methods in a couple of days- it really isn't worth going to all the extra lectures. My mate learnt laplace transforms the night before the 4th paper (since that's pretty much the only topic that the standalone CM question can be on) and got the alpha.

EDIT: To answer your original question yes I know someone 3 years above me at Trinity who got supervised for both.
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Pyoro
Not if you can avoid it, haha. Python is much better language to learn in general because it's nicer idiomatically, more generally applicable and vastly preferable to employers. I like it both generally and for maths, but I don't know much about other languages. It's certainly better than MATLAB for both.

I used MATLAB for some applied CATAM projects because of its better matrix handling and integrated graph and table facilities, which I learnt to use very quickly by ripping off the sample solution. I don't know how much effort it is figuring out the corresponding Python packages.

Anyway, I consider it a waste of time explicitly learning to use MATLAB for CATAM anyway, but particularly if you already know another language, even if you end up using MATLAB for CATAM itself.

My unlucky friend of poor Galois performance was given a searching stare at a job interview when he mentioned knowing MATLAB.

"You don't know anything else?"

:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A slightly late reply but whatever. I actually think MATLAB is worth knowing for CATAM, especially if you intend to do applied courses (that's what I did anyway) because it has all the graphing and ODE solving capabilities built in so there's no need to fiddle around trying to get things to work properly. The obvious caveat is that it's a terrible language with bizzare conventions (everything is a vector) and has no real application outside of engineering/(applied) maths. I should point out that I didn't bother to learn MATLAB explicitly for CATAM more that I ended having reasonable knowledge of MATLAB as a result of doing CATAM.

Python on the other hand is a great language (IMO, although I'm sure many disagree) and is really easy to use and learn. You can probably go from total novice to reasonably competant in about a week and I'm sure there's a whole load of libraries that allow you to do almost whatever you could want. If you wanted to use it for CATAM there is SciPy but I found it to be a real pain to use.

As for learning stuff over summer, given you're talking about results, I assume you don't yet have access to MATLAB (it's a proprietry platform) so you probably couldn't learn it yet although you could have a look at GNU Octave. If I were you, I'd go for python as you might actually be able to do something interesting with it rather than just computing integrals to within epsilon of thier actual value.

Just my 2c.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it true that the top two or three places in the year often tend to go to those who have studied predominantly pure courses?

Why do you think this is so, one theory is that Pure questions can be a lot quicker and this is a big advantage in Part II where there is no question limit.

Can anyone corroborate these claims
Cheers for your responses.

I think I'll stick to Python in that case - my fluency in the basics has more or less come back to me now. I shall start having a look at the extra Python packages with moderate earnest :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeavisideDelts
Is it true that the top two or three places in the year often tend to go to those who have studied predominantly pure courses?

Why do you think this is so, one theory is that Pure questions can be a lot quicker and this is a big advantage in Part II where there is no question limit.

This year the Part IB pure questions were exceptionally hard (Linear Algebra & Analysis II especially), so I'm told. Hence, many people doing predominantly pure struggled- evidence of this is Trinitarians falling an average of 20 places each compared to how they did in IA. Luckily I switched to the dark side and took numerical analysis...

I have no stats to back this up but I am reasonably sure it's true - it certainly is in my year. I am fairly sure the reason is in part to do with course requirements.

Applied Courses are structured much more linearly in the sense that you progress in a subject from Part IB to Part II - Fluids, Quantum, Electro are all examples. You can't do these courses without having done the specific preceding Part IB courses, and these specific courses aren't the most popular.

There is an exception to the above - the statistics courses, generally reliant on Stats IB which is pretty popular. These are fairly popular with the wrangler types as well.

Pure courses are a lot less linear in some sense. There is a good number of Part II courses without strict Part IB requirements, and the requirements are more often than not some subset of Analysis II, Linear Algebra and GRM - the three of which are amongst the most popular "catch all" courses in IB.

The effects of this are that it's far easier to top up your courses from the Pure section. You see this in play - far more applied people attend Pure C courses (particularly Number Theory) than the other way round. I'm not sure if the same holds true for D courses but as long as Leader is lecturing Graph Theory I reckon it might be.

At the top level, these course requirements come into play an entirely different way. The senior wrangler contenders are effectively learning almost a year ahead of everyone else in order to get more courses done, and it's much easier to self-teach a pure course with no formal prerequisites. At least in my experience you'll find that these people have done the pure in advance and do the applied in real time if they're doing it - this is what my friend who came 3rd in the year did, doing pure early and then statistics during his 3rd year lecture time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
I have no stats to back this up but I am reasonably sure it's true - it certainly is in my year. I am fairly sure the reason is in part to do with course requirements.

Applied Courses are structured much more linearly in the sense that you progress in a subject from Part IB to Part II - Fluids, Quantum, Electro are all examples. You can't do these courses without having done the specific preceding Part IB courses, and these specific courses aren't the most popular.

There is an exception to the above - the statistics courses, generally reliant on Stats IB which is pretty popular. These are fairly popular with the wrangler types as well.

Pure courses are a lot less linear in some sense. There is a good number of Part II courses without strict Part IB requirements, and the requirements are more often than not some subset of Analysis II, Linear Algebra and GRM - the three of which are amongst the most popular "catch all" courses in IB.

The effects of this are that it's far easier to top up your courses from the Pure section. You see this in play - far more applied people attend Pure C courses (particularly Number Theory) than the other way round. I'm not sure if the same holds true for D courses but as long as Leader is lecturing Graph Theory I reckon it might be.

At the top level, these course requirements come into play an entirely different way. The senior wrangler contenders are effectively learning almost a year ahead of everyone else in order to get more courses done, and it's much easier to self-teach a pure course with no formal prerequisites. At least in my experience you'll find that these people have done the pure in advance and do the applied in real time if they're doing it - this is what my friend who came 3rd in the year did, doing pure early and then statistics during his 3rd year lecture time.

That's quite a peculiar point of view, which does make a lot of sense. I'd not looked at it from that angle before. Out of interest, what would you say the makeup of the top 10 in your year is among pure/applicable/applied if you have any reasonable idea?

I presume those who learn the courses early do the example sheets early too. In your experience, are they supervised for these early (e.g. your friend who came 3rd)
That's quite a peculiar point of view, which does make a lot of sense. I'd not looked at it from that angle before. Out of interest, what would you say the makeup of the top 10 in your year is among pure/applicable/applied if you have any reasonable idea?

I presume those who learn the courses early do the example sheets early too. In your experience, are they supervised for these early (e.g. your friend who came 3rd)

Only two I know of are #1 and #3, who are both pure (and I think statistics also; #3 definitely did both). #3 is looking to do some mixture of analysis and probability in Part III to my knowledge. I don't know anyone for definite after that until #27 (myself) though I can have a reasonably good guess.

I have no idea what their supervision arrangements were like for every course, but #3 at least was being supervised in a fair few courses at the same time as me - he stopped speaking to me for a week or two when I got Leader for logic...

Latest

Trending

Trending