The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sameactuallylol
Really enjoying it so far besides groups.. The intro example sheet we got for it just made me dislike it but maybe in the future it'll get better.. Assuming you're in an older year hows it been have you enjoyed it so far?

It's OK. I'm just not sure what's going on in the lectures or on the example sheets. I'm just hoping that it's not that much of an issue.
Michael Atiyah, who is 89, claims to have proved the Riemann hypothesis:

video of his talk;
outline of his claimed proof;
the longer paper which he says contains the full required details.

In the third of these he claims his work has put an end to the anthropic principle.

Among the mathematicians from whom I have read publicly expressed opinions (I am not sufficiently knowledgeable in the field to form my own) the general view seems to be that the claimed proof is unsound and some have described it as "embarrassing".
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by marers
Michael Atiyah, who is 89, claims to have proved the Riemann hypothesis:

video of his talk;
outline of his claimed proof;
the longer paper which he says contains the full required details.

In the third of these he claims his work has put an end to the anthropic principle.

Among the mathematicians from whom I have read publicly expressed opinions (I am not sufficiently knowledgeable in the field to form my own) the general view seems to be that the claimed proof is unsound and some have described it as "embarrassing".

Thanks for posting this. It does indeed seem that you can poke some big holes in the argument in a fairly elementary way (see eg Kevin Broughan’s comment on this page): https://aperiodical.com/2018/09/atiyah-riemann-proof-banter-summary/. Whilst I haven’t checked the details, it appears that the supposed proof is beyond repair.

Inevitably there’ll be lots of comments regarding Atiyah. This is not something any of us are likely qualified to comment on, and you will note the silence (at least in public forums) from most mathematicians of repute. The one thing I can say is that this should not (and does not) in my view diminish his prior accomplishments, of which there are many. If I do live to see RH solved, it would be good to get an account in layman’s terms of the proof and a glimpse of the maths that lies ahead (although of course, there’s so much we already know given the number of results assuming it’s true).

I’d rather be embarrassed with his track record than my own lack of talent. Hopefully the attention on him dies down (if it hasn’t already) and mathematicians can focus on advancing the field.

EDIT: I was ready to stop thinking about this when curiosity got the better of me and I read the 5 page sketch from Atiyah. This contains some fundamental issues, of the type any 2nd / 3rd year student will be able to identify, but the style of the paper makes it fairly obvious that you shouldn’t take it literally.

Amongst the more constructive comments about the proof, if someone is doing Part III Number theory, was a link to Sarnak’s recent talk about approaches to prove RH (https://vimeo.com/album/5303404/video/282760852). If you can understand that (I was able to watch more than 5 minutes without getting completely lost, which is a credit to Sarnak given it’s been nearly 10 years since I last looked at maths properly), you will also know that this forum isn’t the place to comment in detail, with Stack Exchange / Math Overflow and other forums being more relevant (if they haven’t shut down their discussions already by this point).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by shamika
Amongst the more constructive comments about the proof, if someone is doing Part III Number theory, was a link to Sarnak’s recent talk about approaches to prove RH (https://vimeo.com/album/5303404/video/282760852). If you can understand that (I was able to watch more than 5 minutes without getting completely lost, which is a credit to Sarnak given it’s been nearly 10 years since I last looked at maths properly), you will also know that this forum isn’t the place to comment in detail, with Stack Exchange / Math Overflow and other forums being more relevant (if they haven’t shut down their discussions already by this point).

It's fine to comment on this company's website on approaches to proving or disproving the Riemann Hypothesis. There's another thread on this website where people have been discussing Michael Atiyah's effort in particular.

I'm not surprised that at this stage in his career he has come out with something like this. When he was supervising PhD students, his disgraceful advice to them was "Never read things. It will only make you depressed. If you need to know something, just ask me." (Source: Graeme Segal.) His parents were going to call him "Michelangelo". (Source: Michael Atiyah.)
Any decent notes for V&M around?
wow old thread

Dexter

Dexter? http://dec41.user.srcf.net/notes/IA_M/vectors_and_matrices.pdf
Cowley? http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/sjc1/teaching/VandM/notes.pdf

Did you heave Peake as your lecturer? He should have put up handwritten notes on Moodle.
Original post by Zacken
Dexter? http://dec41.user.srcf.net/notes/IA_M/vectors_and_matrices.pdf
Cowley? http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/sjc1/teaching/VandM/notes.pdf

Did you heave Peake as your lecturer? He should have put up handwritten notes on Moodle.

We didn't have Peake but I forgot the name of the lecturer there isn't any notes on Moodle though. Thanks for the notes
We didn't have Peake but I forgot the name of the lecturer there isn't any notes on Moodle though. Thanks for the notes

I believe you guys had Evans, but I doubt his lectures were dramatically different from Peake's
Original post by TSRDummyAccount
What approach would you guys recommend for tackling STEP? I was planning to do the following, and would appreciate any criticism/suggestions. (Note: I have unusual circumstances, so I have a lot of time to prepare for this exam)

1. Reach a point where I can easily obtain A* grades in all C1-C4, M1-M2 and S1-S2 past papers. (Note: I'm doing linear A-Levels, but I use the modular past papers for preparation).

2. Once I have essentially mastered all of the A-Level Mathematics material, I will begin the *jump* by initially working through all of the MAT past papers. This will enable me to familarize myself with less conventional questions, and allow me to build up my confidence a little before starting with STEP. I will be learning Further Maths content throughout this step.

3. Once I feel comfortable with the MAT, I'll work through the Siklos book, then begin with STEP I.

4. Once I've worked through all of the STEP I material and covered all of the Further Maths material, I'll begin tackling STEP II and III.

Do you think it's a good idea to start with material that is slightly easier and progressively work up to STEP III; i.e. is it a good idea to go from STEP I to II to III, or should I just attempt them all simultaneously?

This belongs here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5537494 (it also answers most of your questions)
Original post by TSRDummyAccount
Okay, I moved it.

A question that might be relevant here, then: Is there any benefit to sitting STEP I in Year 12, assuming you can obtain a grade 1 or S?

(Should still be there) but anyway, you’d be more likely to get an offer with an S in STEP I. A 1 wouldn’t really affect much, and a 2 or under would definitely hurt your application. But, if you’re good enough to get an S, you’d do fine in the interview anyway and most likely get an offer anyway.
Congratulations to Warren Li on being this year's senior wrangler. That's now five years out of six years that an ethnic Chinese male has won the accolade - and the first Trinity triple since the Trinity nonuple of 2000-2008.

(When was the last time there was a non-Trinity triple?)

By the way, why's the traffic to this thread practically petering out?
Original post by marers
Congratulations to Warren Li on being this year's senior wrangler. That's now five years out of six years that an ethnic Chinese male has won the accolade - and the first Trinity triple since the Trinity nonuple of 2000-2008.

(When was the last time there was a non-Trinity triple?)

By the way, why's the traffic to this thread practically petering out?

All the funny comments get removed by the mods
Original post by StrangeBanana
All the funny comments get removed by the mods

Is it a general decline across the whole Student Room site, or is it only here on the Cambridge maths thread? And are today's undergraduates and pre-university and graduate students and other interested people discussing elsewhere or less all told? I'm a bit out of the loop nowadays.

Latest

Trending

Trending