The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

Excalibur
Well, I hate the dubbed versions - I think it takes away most of the magic and to me it feels like a different, lesser film because of it. But then I grew up with the Japanese versions of the Ghibli films and I have a lot of sentimental attachment to them, so maybe that's why I feel they are murdered when dubbed! Incidentally - I think all foreign films should be subtitled because that's how the film was intended to be by the directors. People shouldn't be put off from subtitles; you don't even notice them after a while (like in Pan's Labyrinth or The Lives of Others).

Anyway, my absolute favourite has to be Laputa. Again there's probably a lot of sentimental reasons to it rather than whether it was technically the best, but I feel it has the most magic out of all of them. The characters are memorable, the music beautiful and the story is just simply so imaginative. For similar reasons I really love Nausicaa as well, for the real 'fantasy' element.

I think Ghibli has three kinds of films: the truly 'fantasy' ones (Nausicaa, Laputa, Howl), the ones that depict reality (Whisper of the Heart, Fireflies etc) and the ones that are a mixture of both (Kiki, Totoro, Spirited Away, Mononoke). For me, personally, I prefer the first type of films because that's what I think Ghibli does best. Still, Totoro has a special place in my heart because I grew up with it and they are so damn cute

I think that the Ghibli films are losing their magic a bit, actually, as the years go on. I think Spirited Away is really overrated (graphics etc stunning but the story itself?), and as for Howl, after the first 30 minutes I thought was terrible! The story was a real mess and for once, I feel the original book (by Diana Wynne Jones) was better. But then, the vast majority of people seem to think Spirited Away and Howl were the best films, so........

And as for the music - I love it. I know the majority of the lyrics by heart (in Japanese ofc ).

In short - Ghibli films has formed my childhood and will stay with me for life. I'm so glad to find other people who love them too!

^ Meh, I'd argue that if Princess Mononoke is a mixture of fantasy and real life then so is Nausicaa; both have similar themes (the whole humans vs nature/environmental thing). Both may be set firmly in fantasy, but the morals are important in real life. Whereas Laputa and Howl are definitely just fantasy ;yes;. And I agree Spirited Away is overrated, it's good but not as good as some of the earlier ones. But Howl is great :eviltongu :p:
AngryJellyfish
^ Meh, I'd argue that if Princess Mononoke is a mixture of fantasy and real life then so is Nausicaa; both have similar themes (the whole humans vs nature/environmental thing). Both may be set firmly in fantasy, but the morals are important in real life. Whereas Laputa and Howl are definitely just fantasy ;yes;. And I agree Spirited Away is overrated, it's good but not as good as some of the earlier ones. But Howl is great :eviltongu :p:

Yeah, maybe Princess Mononoke doesn't belong in that category after all then. :p:

I just wonder why you think Howl is so good? (not trying to be argumentative; genuinely interested in what I had missed!) I thought the graphics were (as ever) stunning, but perhaps I just didn't 'get' the story.

caraniel - agree about them filling you with total wonderment. ;yes;

I think we should rename this the Ghibli Appreciation Society :p:

PS: thanks very much for the rep mute :hugs:
Reply 22
I still haven't watched Howl yet...and I've had the DVD for about six months :redface:

Ghibli appreciation society sounds good to me :p:

I was delighted last week when in HMV, a parent with a young child was busy looking for a DVD of a film they'd seen together and it turned out to be spirited away :biggrin: And they were looking at a few others too.
A Ghibli Appreciation Society would be good, far more people have seen Ghibli films than most other anime series so they deserve one ;yes;. As for Howl, the artwork was indeed amazing; and although I've never read the original book and so have nothing to compare it to I just really liked the storyline in the anime :smile:
Reply 24
I bought Laputa today but then fell asleep while I was watching it :hmpf:

thats what I get for staying up all night.

well at least my CD drive is working again, so I can watch it in peace sometime. Is it weird that I'd kind of rather watch these alone than with other people?

Howl was good, mainly because of the way Howl and the girl developed, the way it kept the aura of mystery going all the way through. It's the thing I liked about Porco rosso too, I like it for the stuff that's there and for the stuff they don't tell you.

Spirited away was a bit more clear cut.
Reply 25
i like the way miyazaki pictures out things.. definitely out of this world and continually intrigues me.. i mean, when i was watching spirited away i was always in deep thoughts about the scenery.. esp when they were on the train with the ghosts in there, and train tracks being in the middle of a lake/sea/etc... i cant imagine that lol
Reply 26
I've seen:

Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Laputa in the Sky, Princess Monoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and The Cat Returns.

Loved them all! Spirited and Howl's are definitely the ultimate ones...so far anyway! :smile:
I have seen all but only yesterday and they are amazing :smile:. spirited away and Laputa are my favourites as the art work is so amazing and real..
i reccommend Laputa, city in the skiy. it is amazing :smile:.

:suith:
and may I just say. the BARON in the cat returns is HOT :p:- i want him!!
Reply 29
I also really love the scenery and attention to detail in some of the films. No other film has made me sit in wonder as rain slowly begins to fall on a rock like in Mononoke :p:
herbal bug
and may I just say. the BARON in the cat returns is HOT :p:- i want him!!

For those who don't know, he makes an appearance in the earlier film 'Whisper of the Heart' too, though in a different form ;yes;. Hence 'The Cat Returns'.

Slight change of subject: Has anyone else seen Isao Takahata's 'My Neighbours the Yamadas'? It's a Ghibli film, but the animation is unlike any other. Despite that I think it's just as good, has the same feel to it. The animation style used is like a moving watercolour picture; very good in it's own way.
Reply 31
does anyone think I should turn this into a society?

is it worth it for such a small pool of material? :p:
Yes. With the UK DVD release of Earthsea approaching and all the other films, we'll have plenty to talk about. Plus Ponyo on a Cliff will be released in Japan this summer. Plus Isao Takahata is planning another film (so far unnamed). Plenty.
AngryJellyfish
For those who don't know, he makes an appearance in the earlier film 'Whisper of the Heart' too, though in a different form ;yes;. Hence 'The Cat Returns'.

Slight change of subject: Has anyone else seen Isao Takahata's 'My Neighbours the Yamadas'? It's a Ghibli film, but the animation is unlike any other. Despite that I think it's just as good, has the same feel to it. The animation style used is like a moving watercolour picture; very good in it's own way.

I did :smile: heh. I do prefer him in the Cat returns. and by all means- lets make this into a society :biggrin: but wouldnt the Mods say it should just be merged with the anime society?
Reply 34
There is a heap of material to cover with the Ghibli films, definately enough to warrant a Society of appreciation! :biggrin:

The Anime Society is overflowing as it is, think Ghibli does justify its own thread.
Reply 35
can anyone resize this picture so it meets the soc logo guidelines please?

The maximum dimensions of the logo are 50x50 pixels and the maximum file size is 25kb.
Reply 36
I would definitely join a society for the Studio Ghibli films. ;yes;
Reply 37
I fail at resizing but do have 2 small icons of Totoro

I think the dub in Laputa is awful - they've added so much dialogue where there was none originally. Watching in Japanese with the subtitles (which match with the English dialogue rather than the Japanese) was rather confusing as half the time there were subtitles when there was silence.

I always watch with subs where I can, though I did catch Totoro on Film4 the other week and it was surprisingly alright, even if it was Dakota Fanning. I don't like the Mononoke dub at all, the voices are just so wrong, and I wasn't impressed when I saw Howl's at the cinema, which had been advertised as subbed, to find them speaking English.
Reply 39
2 pages! wow, I'm proud of you, Joe. people do watch these things. :p:

:yep: :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest