The Student Room Group

Recommended unis for film?

Hi! In case you couldn’t tell, I’m looking into uni courses for film.

I want to do a course that is a mixture of theory and practical filmmaking, rather than solely one or the other. Ideally I’d like to go into the film and TV industry and write and direct, but I know that’s unrealistic, so any job would probably be alright as long as I knew how to do it. If not, I’d either want to do something academic with film (that’s not really a fleshed-out plan B, though), or I’d be fine with calling it quits and getting an unrelated job.

I’m predicted ABC (or possibly ABC if I get better at history), but I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t work out like that.

Also, I’d like to participate in a society or two while at uni. I’d be interested in comedy (just to give it a go), creative writing and/or filmmaking.

If you’ve done/are doing film at uni, please let me know if you’d recommend your uni/course. Any advice would be appreciated, though, even if you tell me which unis to avoid!
You could start with The Guardian League table for some ideas. https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2021/sep/11/best-uk-universities-for-film-production-photography-league-table
Then once you narrow things down, you could check up individual courses here https://discoveruni.gov.uk/ , checking out the NSS results for 2021 (and 2022 when they are published next month).
Original post by cheadle
You could start with The Guardian League table for some ideas. https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2021/sep/11/best-uk-universities-for-film-production-photography-league-table
Then once you narrow things down, you could check up individual courses here https://discoveruni.gov.uk/ , checking out the NSS results for 2021 (and 2022 when they are published next month).

Cheers! I’ll give it a look over.
Bournemouth university has a good reputation in media related courses, you should check them out
Original post by bowlingforsoph

I want to do a course that is a mixture of theory and practical filmmaking, rather than solely one or the other. Ideally I’d like to go into the film and TV industry and write and direct, but I know that’s unrealistic, so any job would probably be alright as long as I knew how to do it. If not, I’d either want to do something academic with film (that’s not really a fleshed-out plan B, though), or I’d be fine with calling it quits and getting an unrelated job.

I’m predicted ABC (or possibly ABC if I get better at history), but I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t work out like that.

Also, I’d like to participate in a society or two while at uni. I’d be interested in comedy (just to give it a go), creative writing and/or filmmaking.

If you’ve done/are doing film at uni, please let me know if you’d recommend your uni/course. Any advice would be appreciated, though, even if you tell me which unis to avoid!

I study at the Arts University Bournemouth, doing their Film Production course and it has been utter agony. Please do not attend.
Original post by AlexAlex6410
Bournemouth university has a good reputation in media related courses, you should check them out

Both Bournemouth universities are ✨dogshite✨
Original post by bowlingforsoph

Hey @bowlingforsoph:h:

I'm currently on the Film and Television Studies course here at UEA so thought I'd pop a reply to this! I completely understand how you want a course with a mixture of theory and practical elements too. I personally think to get the best experience with learning this subject it does need to be a healthy mixture of both.

Whilst this degree is largely theoretical (and I'm loving it), in the latter years there is the option to incorporate some practical modules. These are all subject to change but currently we're offering film and video production, live television studio production (which I'm doing in my next year, yay!), and the option for a media practice project in your final year.

As well as this though, we also have a Film and Television Production degree programme, which, as you can imagine, leans more towards the practical side of things but also does incorporate theoretical modules too. A lot of the modules of these two courses overlap, so if it interests you then feel free to take a look at the module lists to see which one might suit you better. If you have any questions about UEA, studying film, or being a student in Norwich please don't hesitate to ask and I'll be happy to help!

You can also see our list of societies on this page, as far as I can see we do in fact have comedy, creative writing and filmmaking societies! :h:

All the best with your search for the right course for you!

Danielle :smile:
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I study at the Arts University Bournemouth, doing their Film Production course and it has been utter agony. Please do not attend.

How come?

We're really sorry to hear this! Would you like to drop us a DM, or we'd recommend getting in touch with your Course Rep or Course Leader so they can support you 🙂
Original post by Arts University Bournemouth – Uni Rep
We're really sorry to hear this! Would you like to drop us a DM, or we'd recommend getting in touch with your Course Rep or Course Leader so they can support you 🙂

I have gotten in touch with both my course leader and my course rep but they don't care.
I think many would really appreciate if you could provide any insights/details since BU has a good reputation for film/media. Thanks!
Original post by geofactor
I think many would really appreciate if you could provide any insights/details since BU has a good reputation for film/media. Thanks!

BU and AUB are completely different universities.

It’s worth noting that the unhappy person posting in this thread made this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6634166 before starting their degree “out of desperation” and has unsurprisingly not had a good experience.
If your motivation for choosing a film degree are different then it’s very likely that your experience will be too.
Original post by geofactor

Both Bournemouth universities are terrible, although BU may be slightly less awful than AUB in some respects. I found a thread about it written by a current third year student and you may like to read it See here for more information.

Why?
Original post by Rubywxtters
Why?

Probably because they chose to attend university against their wishes out of desperation https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6634166

If you’re choosing a university/degree because you like the university/course then you’re not likely to end up as unhappy
Original post by PQ
Probably because they chose to attend university against their wishes out of desperation https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6634166

If you’re choosing a university/degree because you like the university/course then you’re not likely to end up as unhappy

The course being complete **** doesn’t help either.
Original post by username5915862

Hello,
It's fantastic that you're interested in Film. You might wish to look at University of Sunderland if you're interested in pursuing a career in screenwriting for films, including knowledge and expertise of pre-production and post-production. The Film Production BA (Hons) course, in particular, I believe would best match your interests.
As I am in my first year of Film production, I can tell you a about this course. A film production at University of Sunderland course will usually cover every stage of the filmmaking process, from pre-production through post-production. Scriptwriting, directing, cinematography, sound design, editing, and distribution are all covered.
It also focuses on the study and analysis of films, as well as the history of cinema, rather than just filmmaking. Cinema Theory, Film Analysis, Genre Studies, Critical Approaches, and Film and Society are among the themes covered.
In your first year, you will study Narrative scriptwriting, where you will learn the key skills of storytelling through workshops on narratives and formats, and you will use those skills to inform your work and professional development. Produce an independently written short script, as well as a treatment and pitch. You can also study Screenwriting in depth as a module in your second year. It is beneficial to comprehend the concepts and techniques used in writing drama or comedy for television or streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon.
You will also learn the Single Camera Production module, which will provide you an overview of the methods and techniques used in single camera video production. Discover the technical procedures and artistic abilities necessary to create a video. Working with a production team, create, develop, script, shoot, and edit a three-minute production.
The course consists of both academic lectures and practical workshops in which you may apply your knowledge in real-world circumstances. You will also get the chance to work with industry-standard equipment and materials.
You could check out the Film and Media BA (Hons) course. It will assist you in developing personal, professional, academic, and production skills through the study of film and media theory as well as practical modules in film production. You can conduct research, write a script, or create video essays. You'll learn about the historical contexts and current debates in film, media, and culture, as well as the connections between film and media content and real-world impact.
From day one, you’ll have access to specialized digital cameras, sound recording equipment, lighting kit, Steadicam rigs, and professional editing software packages such as Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premier Pro and Da Vinci Resolve.
A new regional office for the renowned independent production firm Fulwell 73, creators of the Netflix series "Sunderland 'Til I Die," has opened in our David Puttnam Media Centre. So that you may gain firsthand knowledge of and understanding of a top production company's operation.

Please let me know if you have any more queries!
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending