The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

Little Norse Prince (although not Ghibli) is on tomorrow at 11am on Film4. :top:
Brotherhood
Little Norse Prince (although not Ghibli) is on tomorrow at 11am on Film4. :top:

You're our walking talking copy of the Radio Times :p:
Just a shame I have school so I can't watch it :o:
missaphrodite
You're our walking talking copy of the Radio Times :p:
Just a shame I have school so I can't watch it :o:

I can't either, I'm at bloody work all day. And then I'm moving to Spain next week, and I've got no idea how popular it is out there. May be a Ghibli-free year. :frown:
Reply 383
Matisse

This was the last film I saw. It was beautifully produced and I also liked the slice-of-life approach they employed. It's a refreshing change from what we usually expect from Ghibli. I actually wrote a review for this film, which can be read a few pages back in this thread. :smile:

Oh, and welcome to the Society. :smile:

Thanks for the welcome. If i were to watch a similar ghibli film to Whisper of the Heart (by which i mean romancey theme, quite true to life etc etc) which would i watch? The only ones i've seen are the famous ones really (Spirited, mononoke, howl, kiki and porco rosso). I googled it and it turns out that the whisper director only made that one film, which is a shame.
ophqui
Thanks for the welcome. If i were to watch a similar ghibli film to Whisper of the Heart (by which i mean romancey theme, quite true to life etc etc) which would i watch? The only ones i've seen are the famous ones really (Spirited, mononoke, howl, kiki and porco rosso). I googled it and it turns out that the whisper director only made that one film, which is a shame.

Yeah, he died. Grave of Fireflies is true to life but is more of a drama. It's awesome though. Only Yesterday I guess is true to life and has romantic themes. Ghibli films obviously tend to be quite different to that sort of film. The Cat Returns is sort of a follow-on to Whisper, but not great. I think you should watch Laputa and Nausicaa anyway (if you haven't seen them), but they're not at all like Whisper.
Reply 385
Where's the "i'm only replying here in the vain hope that i can get into Misspaphrodite's pants" option? :woo:
ophqui

Only Yesterday is probably closest to Whisper of the Heart in terms of romance and slice of life theme. :yes:
Reply 387
Brotherhood
Yeah, he died. Grave of Fireflies is true to life but is more of a drama. It's awesome though. Only Yesterday I guess is true to life and has romantic themes. Ghibli films obviously tend to be quite different to that sort of film. The Cat Returns is sort of a follow-on to Whisper, but not great. I think you should watch Laputa and Nausicaa anyway (if you haven't seen them), but they're not at all like Whisper.

AngryJellyfish
Only Yesterday is probably closest to Whisper of the Heart in terms of romance and slice of life theme. :yes:

Nice, Only yesterday it is, girlfriend is loving these films, i am too =D
Reply 388
Brotherhood

Thanks for the notification, but like you and Emma, I couldn't watch it because I was at work. I wouldn't have minded seeing this too. :sad:

I hope the move to Spain goes well. I'm assuming that your activity on TSR will also decrease? If so, I'll miss your presence in this thread. You've been great. :smile:

ophqui

Feel free to officially join by clicking here. It's been mentioned, but yup, Only Yesterday is the closest to Whisper of the Heart from Ghibli. :yes:
ophqui

Please watch The Cat Returns! :smile: and as always I would recommend Howl's Moving Castle but it fits your 'romancey' theme too. Laputa, Castle in the Sky perhaps also...hmm okay so these films may not be very true to life but they're still very good! Only Yesterday is sort of an everyday life film, told by a woman reminiscing about her life growing up.
Card Hock
Where's the "i'm only replying here in the vain hope that i can get into Misspaphrodite's pants" option? :woo:

Yes hello Viren, goodbye Viren :smile:
that is unless you care to discuss Studio Ghibli with us?
Reply 391
missaphrodite
Yes hello Viren, goodbye Viren :smile:
that is unless you care to discuss Studio Ghibli with us?

Oh sweet garden, i love the one where Emma does Viren :hubba:

Nah but i'm gonna shut up, not contributing to this well run and well led soc at all :smile:
Reply 392
ophqui
Nice, Only yesterday it is, girlfriend is loving these films, i am too =D

Oh yes, you might like Ocean Waves too, since it's also of the slice-of-life and drama genre. :smile:
Matisse
Oh yes, you might like Ocean Waves too, since it's also of the slice-of-life and drama genre. :smile:

Definitely my favourite Ghibli movie, however it seems to be curiously absent from the poll. (Is there a limit on options or?) On a related note, it's just been released on DVD in the UK. (Even though the Japanese release had English subtitles...)
Oh noes! Our justification for missing it off the poll is no longer valid! Joking, it's very good to hear that it's finally licensed over here. Another one I need to get hold of on DVD. :yes: And yes, it was only left off the poll due to a limit in the number of options. We figured that since it wasn't licensed (to our knowledge), there would be less people who'd have watched it compared to the others. :p:
AngryJellyfish
Oh noes! Our justification for missing it off the poll is no longer valid!

You could say that it's a TV movie and therefore doesn't count as a movie! (Indeed, it comes under 'special' on ANN.) :p:
AsakuraMinamiFan
You could say that it's a TV movie and therefore doesn't count as a movie! (Indeed, it comes under 'special' on ANN.) :p:

Really? I didn't know that. That will have to do. :p:
Reply 397
AsakuraMinamiFan
Definitely my favourite Ghibli movie, however it seems to be curiously absent from the poll. (Is there a limit on options or?) On a related note, it's just been released on DVD in the UK. (Even though the Japanese release had English subtitles...)

As AngryJellyfish has mentioned, there's a limit on the poll. We had this discussion earlier in the thread and we decided to exclude Ocean Waves for the aforementioned reason. Unfortunate because it's a good Ghibli movie.

Welcome to the Society. :smile:
Matisse
Welcome to the Society. :smile:

Thanks. I guess my vote goes to OY then.
I managed to catch Little Norse Prince on Film 4 the other day and though I enjoyed it, it's really a rather forgettable film. The whole film is on YouTube if anyone wants to see it (split up into segments due to YouTube's 10 minute limit, however).

My favourite Ghibli is probably Princess Mononoke yet I think Grave of the Fireflies is probably the best film the studio has made. Thus, perhaps both are my favourites, though I don't think I could constantly re-watch Grave of the Fireflies as it is sheer heart breaking material.

I'm rather surprised to see only one vote for My Neighbour Totoro in the poll considering that is generally considered to be one of the best and most loved Ghibli's. However, I found it to be a disappointment personally. I also expected a lot more from Howl's Moving Castle, though I still enjoyed it overall.

If there's one Ghibli I would recommend, if only to spread the word in an attempt to increase its popularity, it would be Only Yesterday. It's one of Ghibli's most mature films and in many ways transcends the boundaries of animation in its sheer realism (of course, naturally it does dabble in fantastical elements). One senses that it could be filmed in live action, even if every shot from the animation was kept the same. I think it offers a very different experience to those offered from other Ghibli films and I for one believe it to be one of the most remarkable films I've seen in animé (granted, I'm no expert of the genre).

Quick Reply

Latest