The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

I would join :smile:
Reply 41
I've submitted it as a Society now, the logo isn't great :redface: but then trying to get anything decent into 50x50 pixels is very difficult for me.

and I had to try about 14 times before I managed to get everything the right size (the title was way more interesting before I had to cut it down :p:)

------------

I just watched Laputa, Castle in the Sky and after I'd got through the not so amazing first half, the second half was breathtaking, so many amazing moments in it with thingy and wasshisname in the gardens and in the kite :biggrin:

some of the dubbing was lame, but mostly I didn't notice it so thats fine. The stopped robots were proper poignant.
We studied "Spirited Away" in Middle School; I thought the storyline was aesthetically unmatched for anime. "Kiki's Delivery Service" was on SBS (Australia) the other night, and whilst I don't think that it quite measured up to Spirited Away, it was definitely worth the watch.
Spirited away overrated? :wtf?: Are you human? :argh:
Charl
2 pages! wow, I'm proud of you, Joe. people do watch these things. :p:

:yep: :hugs:

:rofl:
Why don't we rename this thread as the society? :smile: I would join - Ghibli films are just the best evaaar. :wink:
I'll have to be an honorary member as I am with Poke Soc, too many other societies already :s-smilie:

[edit] Meh, forget that. I've made some space. I'll be sure to send any Ghibli fans this way if they happen to post in Anime Soc, as long as you point any big anime fans in our direction too :biggrin:
It's on the societies list now, I've applied :biggrin:
Reply 47
I've only really liked Porco Rosso, mainly for the way he says 'Milan' in the dubbed version. I'm not a massive fan of anime.
Reply 48
Anyone seen the dube remake thing of nausica? they renamed it warriors of the wind and it apparntly brings awfulness to a new level :eek:
Reply 49
I've applied too :redface:

To avoid searching, the join part can be found on this page (I hope) Near the bottom of the page.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=11
Reply 50
*has also applied :biggrin:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/Wotwuscover.jpg

They re-named Nausicaa 'Princess Zandra'; and the majority of the characters on the above picture aren't even in the movie!
Reply 52
AngryJellyfish

They re-named Nausicaa 'Princess Zandra'; and the majority of the characters on the above picture aren't even in the movie!

:eek: that lookes even worse than imagined
Reply 53
I think it's worth it for the fact that it led to the 'no cuts' policy, I dread to think what hollywood would do to them :sadnod:.

I accepted y'all, though vin's reason for signing up was less than convincing :hmmm:
Reply 54
AngryJellyfish

Goodness! That makes it look like He-Man or something! :rofl:
Reply 55
I really love nausicaa, that remake looks like an absolute travesty. Part of the reason Ghibli films are so great is because of their animation, which is absolutely beautiful, especially in spirited away (even though i don't like that one as much).
Reply 56
mute
I think it's worth it for the fact that it led to the 'no cuts' policy, I dread to think what hollywood would do to them :sadnod:.

I accepted y'all, though vin's reason for signing up was less than convincing :hmmm:

what!? :p:
Reply 57
vin
what!? :p:

was it 'hi'? :p:

everyone else gave decent reasons, I gave you the benefit of the doubt though :p: :hmmm:

-----------

watched the first half of Princess Mononoke earlier, it was pretty good, the first subbed one I've seen, which I didn't like at first, but now I'm used to it. Dunno when I'll get a chance to see the rest though. Again, awesome soundtrack :p:
The sound track to Princess Mononoke is awesome; I often play 'The Legend of A****aka' on my MP3 player as well as TSR member Anthony Arundel's version of the main theme.

Ah, swear filters. Gotta love em.
Reply 59
I watched the second half dubbed and I have to say, it wasn't as good ;no; I liked Clare Danes as the princess and Billy Crudup as A****aka, but I especially didn't like Lady Eboshi, Minnie Driver. :yucky: And the wolves voices were weird too. Odd how I didn't even realise the difference at first between the subbed and dubbed versions :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest