The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

I'd definitely refer people here if they specifically mentioned liking Ghibli or had highly rated a lot of their films, and I like to think that any general anime fans who posted here would also be referred to the Anime soc. :yes:
vin
hes acting like a hyperactive person handing out leaflets:hmpf:

I only asked nicely. :frown: As such we gained 2 new members. :smile:

AngryJellyfish
I'd definitely refer people here if they specifically mentioned liking Ghibli or had highly rated a lot of their films, and I like to think that any general anime fans who posted here would also be referred to the Anime soc. :yes:

Of course. :smile:
Kagutsuchi
:pierre: Darling, you simply must catch up. :mmm:

I've not seen Proco Rosso or Pom Poko yet. What are they like? :smile:

I do need to catch up but havent had the time. Will be watching them in the next few weeks :smile:
Reply 583
Kagutsuchi

Ill admit that you havnt actually been over doing it like I implied.

I just wanted attention.:sad:
Reply 584
Kagutsuchi

It works :giggle: I'm also a little shameful in my advertising the anisoc...although not quite so successfully it has to be said...it's good for societies to grow :yes:
herbal bug
I do need to catch up but havent had the time. Will be watching them in the next few weeks :smile:

You've actually seen most of it. :o: I was saying it in jest. :hugs:

vin
Ill admit that you havnt actually been over doing it like I implied.

I just wanted attention.:sad:

Surely you get enough attention as it is? :giggle:

skipp
It works :giggle: I'm also a little shameful in my advertising the anisoc...although not quite so successfully it has to be said...it's good for societies to grow :yes:

I still regularly advertise the anime society and ghibli society in the welcome lounge. :smile: Not like a rabid fan though. :tongue:
Thanks to everyone who has already done my Studio Ghibli survey! Much appreciated :smile: closing it in about a week to please do it while you can :smile: Click here to fill in my Film Studies Hayao Miyazaki/Ghibli questionnaire
Reply 587
Thought this would be the best place for this piece of news.

Hayao Miyazaki Animates New Short for Ghibli Museum
Producer Toshio Suzuki revealed on his Ghibli Asemamire radio program this weekend that Studio Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki is animating a 10-minute short without dialogue for the Ghibli Museum. Miyazaki is working on the key animation drawings himself since other key animators are working on Ghibli's next feature film, this summer's Karigurashi no Arrietty by Hiromasa Yonebayashi. Miyazaki has been planning the Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrower Arrietty) film since July of 2008, but as previously revealed by Suzuki, Miyazaki is not directing the next feature film.

Miyazaki also planned and scripted "Chū-Zumō," a 13-minute anime short about sumo-wrestling mice that is screening at the museum from January 3 until February 28. Suzuki had said in 2008 that Miyazaki's next projects after Ponyo would be anime shorts for the museum, and he previously directed the musum's "Mei to Konekobasu" short, an unofficial continuation of the 1988 film classic, My Neighbor Totoro.
Reply 588
Hello. :smile:

I've been a fan of ghibli since I was a little girl and my father watched 'Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind'. Since then i've only seen a few from the opening post - that being Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle. All of which I love and adore.
Oh dear... I forgot this society ever existed. :o: Aiko's going to kill me. :cry:
Kayleo
Hello. :smile:

I've been a fan of ghibli since I was a little girl and my father watched 'Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind'. Since then i've only seen a few from the opening post - that being Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle. All of which I love and adore.

Hello again. :tongue: I just accepted your request to join the society and you are now officially a Ghiblier. :smile:

Oh, you seen a few. :yep: A great selection by the way.

I believe most people here would recommend 'Grave of the Fireflies' to you... they say it's sad but it's quite funny... well I found it funny.

Out of curiosity, which is your favourite?
Reply 591
I was just about to post a news item thats popped up on ANN :laugh:

2011 'Young Director' to Helm Studio Ghibli's Work in
Studio Ghibli has confirmed in a "Ihira Yōko no Tōhō Senden Caravan Report" ("Yōko Ihira's TOHO Publicity Caravan Report" ) this month that its next major work — after this summer's Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrower Arrietty) film — will be a 2011 work helmed by a "young director."

Studio Ghibli President Koji Hoshino said in July of 2008 that there is a likely chance that Ghibli will promote one of its own animators to direct a film or recruit a director from outside the studio. Studio co-founder Hayao Miyazaki himself told his studio's staff in November of that year that they will start two feature-length works, with young staffers at their core, over the next three years. 36-year-old animator Hiromasa Yonebayashi is making his directorial debut in the first of those two features, Karigurashi no Arrietty. Arrietty will open on July 17.

In addition, Studio Ghibli revealed during a February 2008 press conference that "directors [Isao Takahata] and [Hayao Miyazaki's son] Goro Miyazaki are both developing works" for release after Miyazaki's Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Ponyo on a Cliff), which opened in Japan in 2008. Producer Toshio Suzuki predicted last October that Miyazaki's next feature film might open in four years.

Ihira also reported in her caravan report that advanced ticket sales for Arriety will begin on April 17. Early ticket buyers will receive one of two books — either a collection of early character sketches, or a collection of background sketches for the scenes set under the floorboards. (The film revolves around the "little people" who live underneath the floorboards of a western Tokyo home.)

Arriety's theme song singer and French musician Cécile Corbel is planning a concert, participating in the film's publicity starting on July 1, and participating in a rock festival in August. The public television network NHK is already shooting a behind-the-scenes documentary similar to Ponyo's, while a second program will cover Corbel's concert.
Reply 592
Kagutsuchi
Hello again. :tongue: I just accepted your request to join the society and you are now officially a Ghiblier. :smile:

Oh, you seen a few. :yep: A great selection by the way.

I believe most people here would recommend 'Grave of the Fireflies' to you... they say it's sad but it's quite funny... well I found it funny.

Out of curiosity, which is your favourite?

I would have to go with Nausicaa. I love them all but Nausicaa was my first and I still look back at it through rose tinted glasses. However, i'd never pass a chance to watch Howl's Moving Castle again. :smile:

What of you?
Reply 593
caraniel
I was just about to post a news item thats popped up on ANN :laugh:

The little people underneath the floorboards? How... interesting. :tongue:

I await this with youthful anticipation. :smile:
Reply 594
Kagutsuchi
Oh dear... I forgot this society ever existed. :o: Aiko's going to kill me. :cry:

:hahaha:

bad kag:spank:

I still have a few ghibli films waiting in my hard drive :s-smilie:
Kayleo
I would have to go with Nausicaa. I love them all but Nausicaa was my first and I still look back at it through rose tinted glasses. However, i'd never pass a chance to watch Howl's Moving Castle again. :smile:

What of you?

Good choice. I first watched Nausicaa relatively recently. I was a bit hesitant due to the date of which it was produced but it exceeded my expectations. I grew fond of brave Nausicaa throughout the movie. :love:

I think i'd go with Howl's Moving Castle or Princess Mononoke. It's been some time since i've seen either though, so maybe my view of them will change if I marathon them in a ghibli night - of which you have a lot of experience of doing I see. :tongue:
Reply 596
Kagutsuchi
Good choice. I first watched Nausicaa relatively recently. I was a bit hesitant due to the date of which it was produced but it exceeded my expectations. I grew fond of brave Nausicaa throughout the movie. :love:

I think i'd go with Howl's Moving Castle or Princess Mononoke. It's been some time since i've seen either though, so maybe my view of them will change if I marathon them in a ghibli night - of which you have a lot of experience of doing I see. :tongue:

Yes, I loved Nausicaa throughout the film. :smile: So noble, so brave.

I absolutely adore Howl's Moving Castle too. Nothing like a talking fire to appeal to my paternal and pyro side simultaneously. :tongue:

I don't marathon that much. For the past few days i've been busy with moving so i've not seen any form of anime. :frown:
Kayleo
Yes, I loved Nausicaa throughout the film. :smile: So noble, so brave.

I absolutely adore Howl's Moving Castle too. Nothing like a talking fire to appeal to my paternal and pyro side simultaneously. :tongue:

I don't marathon that much. For the past few days i've been busy with moving so i've not seen any form of anime. :frown:

We're all a pyro inside. The simplicity of reducing something to nothing is beautiful in my eyes... How strange.

Oh dear. :frown: No anime is terrible but moving is always exciting. :smile:
Reply 598
Finally someone voted for Whisper of the Heart :love: it deserves at least one vote, even if I didn't vote for it myself :giggle:
skipp
Finally someone voted for Whisper of the Heart :love: it deserves at least one vote, even if I didn't vote for it myself :giggle:

You're a romantic at heart aren't you? :hugs:

Yes, Whisper of The Heart is good, but when compared to Princess Mononoke and Howl... I guess it's down to personal preference after all. I'm glad the Cat Returns has one vote. :tongue: The Baron. :love:

Quick Reply

Latest