The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Just a heads up for those of you who will be in Tokyo in the foreseeable future (until October, anyway), there's an exhibition on special effects by Studio Ghibli at the Museum of Contemporary Art that occupies two floors.

Edit - This would help: http://www.ntv.co.jp/tokusatsu/english.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 921
Original post by Aiko
Just a heads up for those of you who will be in Tokyo in the foreseeable future (until October, anyway), there's an exhibition on special effects by Studio Ghibli at the Museum of Contemporary Art that occupies two floors.

Edit - This would help: http://www.ntv.co.jp/tokusatsu/english.html

Ooh interesting! Shall definitely try to take that in. Also need to get tickets for the Ghibli Museum - the sister and I are quite excited!
Reply 922
Original post by caraniel
Ooh interesting! Shall definitely try to take that in. Also need to get tickets for the Ghibli Museum - the sister and I are quite excited!

You have to visit the museum, would be a cardinal sin not to. :tongue: Take note that it's probably advisable to purchase tickets online with a tour guide. As someone who has mainly bought tickets in Japan, I've come to realise that there's no guarantee that you'll get them at a Lawsons or a Loppi ticket machine. The downside is that you'll probably spend more, not to mention putting up with other tourists. :tongue:
I WENT TO THE GHIBLI MUSEUM LAST WEEEKKADHNIABFUIHFWSIH

My only regret was not insisting that I was 3 years old so that I could go on the nekkobus.

I bought my ticket at Lawsons 2 days in advance, I got baffled by the machine but I managed in the end. Plus the tickets that they give you for the mini cinema are so cool. Take lots of money to buy stuff at the shop!!!!!!! I really wanted to go and eat at the cafe but I spent to long wondering about and would have missed my flight. NEXT TIME!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 924
Original post by Pomppufiilis
I WENT TO THE GHIBLI MUSEUM LAST WEEEKKADHNIABFUIHFWSIH

My only regret was not insisting that I was 3 years old so that I could go on the nekkobus.

I bought my ticket at Lawsons 2 days in advance, I got baffled by the machine but I managed in the end. Plus the tickets that they give you for the mini cinema are so cool. Take lots of money to buy stuff at the shop!!!!!!! I really wanted to go and eat at the cafe but I spent to long wondering about and would have missed my flight. NEXT TIME!

I went in April and i hated being so old i couldnt go on it (im 18) :frown: I bought my ticket before i left for japan to ensure i could get in, although i think when i go again (and i will :biggrin: ) i might do it via machine :smile:
Original post by pongalo
I went in April and i hated being so old i couldnt go on it (im 18) :frown: I bought my ticket before i left for japan to ensure i could get in, although i think when i go again (and i will :biggrin: ) i might do it via machine :smile:

I was so envious of those kids seriously. And I didn't get to hug Totoro like I was told I would by someone at my guest house. One day I will be able to fall asleep on the belly of Totoro... one day!

I watched From Up on Poppy Hill yesterday, its brilliant, I really like the detail of the buildings.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 926
Grave of fireflies made me cry so badly, is such a good movie. But still Princess Mononoke is the best for me: the meaning and what's discussed on it is something that worries me in the reality, so I found myself enjoying it loads!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 927
I have a tough time trying to determine my favourite, but I'd say Porco Rosso; I think it's a nice mix between light-hearted comedy and the morals during a period of war - nice for both adults and children (although, many of ghibli's films have similar underlying messages).

I actually lent my friend around 9 Ghibli DVDs... It's been two years and I still haven't received them back.
Reply 928
Arrietty has become my first blu-ray Ghibli film (though at some point I want to get Nausicaa as it looks great in screenshots).

I hope it's good, I found Tales from Earthsea to be the most boring Ghibli film so far (I fell asleep at one point and couldn't be bothered to rewind) and Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea was good, but not as amazing as some of the earlier films I watched.
I wish he'd go back to his roots and give us a nature/adventure film like Laputa/Mononoke/Nausicaa.

I have some good books from back in my film studies sixth form days I bought to write an auteur essay on him. Might dig them out and have a leaf through.
Original post by Brotherhood
I wish he'd go back to his roots and give us a nature/adventure film like Laputa/Mononoke/Nausicaa.

I have some good books from back in my film studies sixth form days I bought to write an auteur essay on him. Might dig them out and have a leaf through.

same :sad: but i'll take anything from him
My friend bought me Graves of the Fireflies for my birthday (one of my favourite Ghibli films) and watched it with my sister. Tears were running faster than Usain Bolt.
Original post by Nunnally
Grave of fireflies made me cry so badly, is such a good movie. But still Princess Mononoke is the best for me: the meaning and what's discussed on it is something that worries me in the reality, so I found myself enjoying it loads!!

agreed :h:
Ahhhh, how come I am only just finding this tread now :colondollar:
I have seen them all except my neighbours the yamadas.

Is it worth watching??
Reply 935
Studio Ghibli :awesome:
Original post by FranticMind
I have seen them all except my neighbours the yamadas.

Is it worth watching??

Definitely. :yes: It's certainly different to the rest in terms of both animation, and the fact that it's more about comedy than story, but personally I think it's great!
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Definitely. :yes: It's certainly different to the rest in terms of both animation, and the fact that it's more about comedy than story, but personally I think it's great!

Thanks for that I will look into it!! The art style put me off a bit.
I love Ghibli films. :h: I haven't posted on this thread before but I thought I would share my car sticker to people who would get the reference. :tongue:
35k4gll.jpg

All credit goes to this Etsy Store http://www.etsy.com/shop/argibiCreativeStudio?ref=seller_info
Watched Grave of the Fireflies over an hour ago, and I'm still crying. Such an amazing, but devastatingly sad film. :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest