The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

francoise
I'm going to write about what I like about the course compared to other universiities, and will waffle about a college, when i've finally decided which to pick, and a fellow at the college.

But, the admissions tutor at Magdalene (sp) told me in July that most people leave it blank, and it's a pointless box really, in his opinion.

Why not draw a picture in it.

MB
Reply 21
musicboy
Why not draw a picture in it.

MB

something like this you mean:
Willa

exactly - I should have done something like that.

MB
Reply 23
if i was a tutor and saw that, well I'd let me in :tongue:

And not because it was me who was applying and it just happened to be me who was the tutor, because why would a tutor apply to himself?
Reply 24
Willa
if i was a tutor and saw that, well I'd let me in :tongue:

And not because it was me who was applying and it just happened to be me who was the tutor, because why would a tutor apply to himself?

borderline schizophrenia? :confused:
Or perhaps to bump up the competitiveness of the college!
Reply 25
no i was just trying to clarify a point!

Hehe the boatie's drowning!
here's what my picture would have looked like,

MB
Reply 27
you're very good at drawing i must say!!!

If application forms werent so serious, I would have drawn a picture likes the ones above...would have been halarious!
I'd say don't be afraid to write something wacky or even to draw a picture - it makes you stand out. I wrote an additional statement but figured that pretty much everyone would have written the same, so I scrapped it and decided to risk just writing one sentence, even though it could have sounded like an awful smart-arse comment. But it worked!
Reply 29
high_dro_jen
I'd say don't be afraid to write something wacky or even to draw a picture - it makes you stand out. I wrote an additional statement but figured that pretty much everyone would have written the same, so I scrapped it and decided to risk just writing one sentence, even though it could have sounded like an awful smart-arse comment. But it worked!

Lol...what was the comment then???

G
gzftan
Lol...what was the comment then???

G

You know there's a box for your additional statement? And bear in mind I was applying for philosophy. I put "I want to think outside the box." And I wrote it outisde of the box. Oh, the comic value. It really makes me cringe now, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. It was better than any other idea I came up with, anyhow.
Reply 31
high_dro_jen
You know there's a box for your additional statement? And bear in mind I was applying for philosophy. I put "I want to think outside the box." And I wrote it outisde of the box. Oh, the comic value. It really makes me cringe now, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. It was better than any other idea I came up with, anyhow.

Wow!! I'm gobsmacked....i never realised such a small sentence could contain such brie....:tongue:

Worked though didn't it!! :smile:

Btw- do you want me to add you to the first post on the cam thread??

G
gzftan
Wow!! I'm gobsmacked....i never realised such a small sentence could contain such brie....:tongue:

Worked though didn't it!! :smile:

Btw- do you want me to add you to the first post on the cam thread??

G

Oh yeah 'twould be cool. high_dro_jen - jenni - philosophy - Tit Hall. Thinks that's it!
Reply 33
wow, incredibly brave of you.....being witty in situations like that takes some bottle. Although you say draw a picture, I would seriously advise against that. But yes....comments like yours can seriously backfire if they interpret it as you just being a smartarse.
Willa
wow, incredibly brave of you.....being witty in situations like that takes some bottle. Although you say draw a picture, I would seriously advise against that. But yes....comments like yours can seriously backfire if they interpret it as you just being a smartarse.

Sure, I bet they can. I take no responsibility for people being absolutely slaughtered in interviews if they try to be too clever on their application. I was just a lucky bitch :smile: .
[QUOTE="high_dro_jen"]Sure, I bet they can. I take no responsibility for people being absolutely slaughtered in interviews if they try to be too clever on their application. I was just a lucky bitch :smile: .[/QUOTE

Was it mentioned in the interview?
musicboy
here's what my picture would have looked like,

MB

Dude, that is so cool...You must be really good at music, to have not done art :smile: :rolleyes:

T
Reply 37
I don't think it matters that much what you write, but I thought I may as well write something as not so I waffled on for a bit about what it was that I liked specifically about the Cambrifge course and supervisions, then I decided I was so bored with being so serious about my applications that I shoved in a bit about liking Terry Pratchett, just for the sake of it.

Being the long-winded person I am I couldn't possibly have fitted it into the box if I'd handwritten it so I printed it out in size 10 onto blue paper (the cambridge application form was blue) and stuck it on.
Reply 38
Willa

this is what I call art. ;-)
Reply 39
glad to see you liked it.....i did it all by myself :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending