The Student Room Group

Colleges for law

Just wondered whether people would be surprised to hear that, in the Tompkins Table for Law (which isn't published, so I can't link to it), the top colleges were Christs, Catz, Gonville and Caius, Fitzwilliam and Sidney Sussex?

Is it surprising that the traditional law colleges (Downing, Trinity Hall, etc) aren't nearer the top? I know that league tables aren't worth the paper they are printed on (especially the Tompkins, which is based purely on exam performance) but wouldn't you expect that the most competitive colleges, renowned for their teaching fellows, would produce the best lawyers?

EDIT: Clare (originally following Fitz in my message) should have read Sidney Sussex!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
a lot depends on the teaching i suppose. Fitz which isnt very traditional have mrs padfield as DOS which might explain that.

Maybe the tables are getting a bit more volatile since the standard of students across the whole university is high. Unlike 20 years ago when the best might go to Downing and others would go to other colleges. That simply is not the case anymore because it has become so hard to differentiate a lot of applicants?
Reply 2
i think the difference between colleges higher and lower in these league tables are so insignificant, you can safely ignore them. and because results / number of students studying a law year on year can vary a lot, the tables often change significantly each year. also perhaps because downing has so many lawyers (nearly 20 per year) it's harder for it to climb higher than, for example, a small college with a couple of firsts / 2.1's graduating per year.
Reply 3
JCW which year is that table for? I have the current class list in front of me and I'm not sure how it is possible to have ranked those colleges in that way, ie for law in 2004 Fitz got two firsts (one in IA one in IB) (one of these will have its table increasing effect removed by a third (in IB)).

Confused,

PDJM
Reply 4
jcw
OP
PDJM
JCW which year is that table for? I have the current class list in front of me and I'm not sure how it is possible to have ranked those colleges in that way, ie for law in 2004 Fitz got two firsts (one in IA one in IB) (one of these will have its table increasing effect removed by a third (in IB)).

It claims to be a 2004 table. For Fitzwilliam the entry reads:
College ID 1 2.i 2.2 3 Tomp_score
Fitzwilliam College F 4 17 1 1 64.3

There were two firsts in Part II for Fitzwilliam as well. Tompkins works on 5 for a first, 3 for a 2.i, 2 for a 2.ii, 1 for a 3. Hence, we have (20+51+2+1)/(5*23)*100 = 64.3. Above Fitz is Caius:

Gonville & Caius College G 7 24 5 0 65.0

The reason Fitz appears to have done so well is because the Tompkins score places a real premium (right, IMO) on firsts (although I think it overvalues 2.ii/thirds) and Fitz got a high percentage of firsts and only two 2.ii / 3.

If you are interested, Girton came in 6th, Downing at 8th and Trinity Hall at 13th.
Reply 5
just out of interest jcw, how did stjohns, trinity, clare and emmanuel do?
Reply 6
jcw
OP
jamierwilliams
just out of interest jcw, how did stjohns, trinity, clare and emmanuel do?

Now I've learnt how to read the table:

St John's 10th (62.6 - 3,26,2,0)
Trinity 16th (58.9 - 5,20,12,0)
Clare 11th (61.9 - 2,17,2,0)
Emmanuel 9th (62.6 - 5,12,5,1)*

* Comes ahead of John's because of the higher %ge firsts given same Tompkins score.
Reply 7
Sorry that was a typo, IA should have read II, the results I am looking at are also only those who allow theirs to be published, some people do opt out!

PDJM
Reply 8
jcw
OP
PDJM
Sorry that was a typo, IA should have read II, the results I am looking at are also only those who allow theirs to be published, some people do opt out!

There are two Fitzwilliams firsts in Part IB and two in part II according to the standard Reporter (Special No. 18). It is virtually impossible to opt-out as the subordinate legislation made under the University Statutes requires publication of all results. The Registrary has made one or two exceptions in previous years where very good cause has been shown.
Reply 9
I've double checked this years-you're correct on the number, I missed two of the F's- that's what happens when you play computer games all day! However an opt out is not as rare as imagined, the procedure was advertised on a noticeboard in my College and some people I know of have used it in the past- what reasons they have used however remain a mystery.
Reply 10
jcw
Now I've learnt how to read the table:

St John's 10th (62.6 - 3,26,2,0)
Trinity 16th (58.9 - 5,20,12,0)
Clare 11th (61.9 - 2,17,2,0)
Emmanuel 9th (62.6 - 5,12,5,1)*

* Comes ahead of John's because of the higher %ge firsts given same Tompkins score.

does emmanuel have a good law dept?

i am choosing a college and have shortlisted:

St John's
Clare
Emmanuel
Trinity

So, which are the best for law and the most recognised in general....i like the tradition of johns, the reputation of emmanuel, the friendliness of clare and the grandiose of trinity.....so which one should i go for considering i ike all of them equally!?
Reply 11
toss a coin
Reply 12
that's such a great way to choose a college!
Reply 13
well, in your context its not that a bad way. You like all 4 colleges. Theres a certain amount of chance and luck involved with getting an offer from all colleges any way. So if your deadlocked i dont see it being that bad of a way to choose. :smile:
Reply 14
observer
well, in your context its not that a bad way. You like all 4 colleges. Theres a certain amount of chance and luck involved with getting an offer from all colleges any way. So if your deadlocked i dont see it being that bad of a way to choose. :smile:

i suppose.....well i dont suppose, thats a good idea!
Reply 15
in all seriousness, have you visited them yet. That might give yourself a better idea. Its allways different that the pictures in the prospectus
Reply 16
observer
in all seriousness, have you visited them yet. That might give yourself a better idea. Its allways different that the pictures in the prospectus

no not yet....i am going to visit all 4 and then make a decision based on which one i feel most comfortable at (i wouldnt really flip a coin!)
Reply 17
jcw.....also just out of interest, which colleges came 1 2 and 3?
Reply 18
jcw
OP
jamierwilliams
jcw.....also just out of interest, which colleges came 1 2 and 3?

Christs, Catz, Gonville & Caius for Law - my first post had them in order.
Reply 19
jcw
OP
jamierwilliams
does emmanuel have a good law dept?

i am choosing a college and have shortlisted:

St John's
Clare
Emmanuel
Trinity

So, which are the best for law and the most recognised in general....i like the tradition of johns, the reputation of emmanuel, the friendliness of clare and the grandiose of trinity.....so which one should i go for considering i ike all of them equally!?

They are all good for law, but Trinity and St John's are quite different to Clare and Emmanuel (to broadly group them). I'm sure you'll know when you visit which feels like home, and which tutors you like. It is a good shortlist, though!

Latest

Trending

Trending