The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Colleges for Law School

Hi guys, I just got a Durham offer for law a few days ago and now I have to choose my college. I really want to get an en-suite room and I’m looking for colleges that are closer to Law School (I don’t quite have an idea of where Law lectures will take place tho), and I also don’t really mind it if it’s catered or not, which college would y’all recommend? I kind of want to end up in St.Chads or Hatfield but how likely am I gonna get an en-suite as an undergraduate?
Would really appreciate any advice! Thank you so much!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi guys, I just got a Durham offer for law a few days ago and now I have to choose my college. I really want to get an en-suite room and I’m looking for colleges that are closer to Law School (I don’t quite have an idea of where Law lectures will take place tho), and I also don’t really mind it if it’s catered or not, which college would y’all recommend? I kind of want to end up in St.Chads or Hatfield but how likely am I gonna get an en-suite as an undergraduate?
Hi there

Congratulations on your offer!

If you don't really mind about catering and want an ensuite room, I'd highly recommend the 4 self-catered hill colleges i.e., South, John Snow, Butler and Stephenson. They have a majority of en-suite rooms and self-catering means that you get more control over what and when you eat. They are no more than 15 mins away from where the law classes are held (science site/lower mountjoy).

Hatfield has about 89 ensuite rooms which includes both single and twin ensuite. The rest of the rooms are either single or shared with shared bathrooms. In Chads, 70% of the rooms are shared but ensuite. This means you share a room and a bathroom with one other person.

This means that single ensuite rooms in both these colleges are limited and I think they'll be offered to people who have medical needs. So the best chance you have with ensuite rooms is in the 4 hill colleges I mentioned above.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

Congratulations on your offer!

If you don't really mind about catering and want an ensuite room, I'd highly recommend the 4 self-catered hill colleges i.e., South, John Snow, Butler and Stephenson. They have a majority of en-suite rooms and self-catering means that you get more control over what and when you eat. They are no more than 15 mins away from where the law classes are held (science site/lower mountjoy).

Hatfield has about 89 ensuite rooms which includes both single and twin ensuite. The rest of the rooms are either single or shared with shared bathrooms. In Chads, 70% of the rooms are shared but ensuite. This means you share a room and a bathroom with one other person.

This means that single ensuite rooms in both these colleges are limited and I think they'll be offered to people who have medical needs. So the best chance you have with ensuite rooms is in the 4 hill colleges I mentioned above.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka

omg thank you so much, that was really helpful!! I think I might go for St.Chads first (I don’t really mind if it’s shared or single as long as it’s en-suite)! btw, It seems to me that the UG Applicant Portal is currently unavailable until 18th March as it’s under construction, however, I’m aware that I only have a 14 day deadline from when my offer was made to rank my preferences. Therefore, it looks like the 14 day deadline will have already passed after the UG Applicant is made available again, in this case, is there anything I could do? And is the college allocation process on a first come first served basis? I’m so worried about it rn :frown:
omg thank you so much, that was really helpful!! I think I might go for St.Chads first (I don’t really mind if it’s shared or single as long as it’s en-suite)! btw, It seems to me that the UG Applicant Portal is currently unavailable until 18th March as it’s under construction, however, I’m aware that I only have a 14 day deadline from when my offer was made to rank my preferences. Therefore, it looks like the 14 day deadline will have already passed after the UG Applicant is made available again, in this case, is there anything I could do? And is the college allocation process on a first come first served basis? I’m so worried about it rn :frown:
Hiya

I don't think the 14-day deadline applies to offers received before the college allocation process has begun. According to this website, allocations are due to begin in w/c 29th April so you've got a lot of time to decide. If you fill in your preferences and want to change them, you can also do that as many times as you want until the allocation process begins.

Allocations are not made on a first come first served basis. Instead, they are all ordered randomly and then allocations start. More details on the process are here- https://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/your-college---undergraduate/how-the-allocation-process-works-for-undergraduates/

-Himieka
Reply 4
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

I don't think the 14-day deadline applies to offers received before the college allocation process has begun. According to this website, allocations are due to begin in w/c 29th April so you've got a lot of time to decide. If you fill in your preferences and want to change them, you can also do that as many times as you want until the allocation process begins.

Allocations are not made on a first come first served basis. Instead, they are all ordered randomly and then allocations start. More details on the process are here- https://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/your-college---undergraduate/how-the-allocation-process-works-for-undergraduates/

-Himieka

omg okay, thank you tons! That reassured me because I was literally so worried about not being able to rank my college preferences!
Reply 5
Hi my daughter is at Chads - she has an absolutely massive shared room with an en suite in one of the houses. Most 1st year rooms are shared and most have en suites. If you are allocated to Chads they send out a room preference form after Colleges are confirmed (be warmed this could be a couple
Of weeks after A level results).

Chads is an amazing college - the location is obviously stunning and it is amazingly close to everywhere but most importantly it is such a close community which I think is partly down to the fact that most people share a room and also the fact that it is the smallest college.

That said everyone seems to enjoy the college they end up at. I would say if you want Chads put it first but be prepared to not get it (or to be reallocated after A level results) - I think 40% of people who put it first get it but as my daughter said if you don’t try you definitely won’t get it!
Reply 6
Original post by McKitty
Hi my daughter is at Chads - she has an absolutely massive shared room with an en suite in one of the houses. Most 1st year rooms are shared and most have en suites. If you are allocated to Chads they send out a room preference form after Colleges are confirmed (be warmed this could be a couple
Of weeks after A level results).

Chads is an amazing college - the location is obviously stunning and it is amazingly close to everywhere but most importantly it is such a close community which I think is partly down to the fact that most people share a room and also the fact that it is the smallest college.

That said everyone seems to enjoy the college they end up at. I would say if you want Chads put it first but be prepared to not get it (or to be reallocated after A level results) - I think 40% of people who put it first get it but as my daughter said if you don’t try you definitely won’t get it!

Thank you so much! I am definitely going to make Chads my first choice!
I'm getting worried about no reply from Law, I applied in Oct and LNAT completed Dec with a score of 26 but no news yet. I'm worried that there has been lots of offers but no response to mine yet.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #2
I'm getting worried about no reply from Law, I applied in Oct and LNAT completed Dec with a score of 26 but no news yet. I'm worried that there has been lots of offers but no response to mine yet.

Hey well done on your LNAT, 26 is a very impressive score!! Which universities did you apply to for Law? I also did my LNAT in December but I'm an international student, eitherway I'd say don't worry at all, they're probably just taking their time! Good luck!
Im in the same position. same LNAT and applied around late October. still waiting on a reply from Durham. They said on their website they should reply no later than end of March so hopefully that is some consolation.

Hey there

The admissions team are hoping to make all decisions by 29th March so there's still time. Plus no news is still good news so I'd suggest waiting just a little bit longer! Good luck :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest