The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Really? That is interesting....
I guess the tutors aren't fussed unless you can get excellent essays to them every week.
Reply 21
There was that complete **** who was rusticated for filming two people having sex through the window he was spying at, then distributing the footage around college. I remember being in the Jericho Tavern with my friends from St Anne's (mostly MFL teachers), who spotted him and proceeded to very loudly take the piss.

Definitely not for shagging a tutor - quite a few people have done that. One of my professors was contractually obliged to keep his door open while supervising students, because of his previous low-down ways.
Reply 22
sugar_cane
No, there aren't any all girls colleges at Oxford and the only ones at Cambridge are Newnham and Newhall. (Lucy Cavendish as well, but I think that's a mature student college.)

St Hilda's was until very recently...
Reply 23
the_alba
Definitely not for shagging a tutor - quite a few people have done that. One of my professors was contractually obliged to keep his door open while supervising students, because of his previous low-down ways.

Very diplomatically put :laugh:

Athena
(Oh, and historically you could be sent down for being an atheist - I think that was what happened to Shelley)

Good old Oxbridge elitism...
the_alba
There was that complete **** who was rusticated for filming two people having sex through the window he was spying at, then distributing the footage around college. I remember being in the Jericho Tavern with my friends from St Anne's (mostly MFL teachers), who spotted him and proceeded to very loudly take the piss.

I'm surprised he's still allowed to teach if he has such a bad history of getting off with students. I didn't think it was such a common occurence :s-smilie:
Socrates
St Hilda's was until very recently...

Indeed, but it's not any more, hence why I didn't mention it :p:
Reply 26
There was that complete **** who was rusticated for filming two people having sex through the window he was spying at, then distributing the footage around college.

Hardly spying- it was a bit difficult not to notice what was going on. It was a ground floor room with massive windows fronting onto the quad with a party going on right outside. What he did was out of order, but frankly the couple involved shouldn't have been so utterly idiotic to use that room (it wasn't even their room) and not even draw the curtains.
Reply 27
Socrates
Good old Oxbridge elitism...

I don't really think that exists anymore. One word: Dawkins.
Reply 28
Lou76854
Someone punched the dean :s-smilie:
He was incredibly drunk and didn't realise the person was the dean. Basically someone gets drunk, starts vomiting and being generally an extremely drunk person, the dean ends up being called, intervenes, and somewhere in this the guy manages to hit him. We're not talking a violent act of aggression, by all accounts it was more of a general flailing.

Also, dean in this context is not the head of a college or faculty, it's the person in charge of welfare at a college. It's usually a fellow, but it's not like he punched the master or president of a college.
Reply 29
Lou76854
shagging a professor?

No, and thus has happened. A few years ago a tutor had an affair with a student, the college found out, and while he ended up leaving his wife and wasn't allowed to teach the girl he was dating, I think they stayed together.

It's not like at school where it's having an affair with a minor, students are adults. It's very much frowned upon, because of the imbalance of power, and you wouldn't be allowed to tutor someone you'd been involved with, but there's not too much wrong with a random fellow dating a random student.

Athena
(Oh, and historically you could be sent down for being an atheist - I think that was what happened to Shelley)

Not quite. Shelley was sent down for writing a pamphlet called "the necessity of atheism", and then refusing to answer questions about it. It used to be a sort of "don't ask, don't tell" policy, where being an atheist wasn't bad on its own, but publicly preaching it was.
Reply 30
thomasjtl
Hardly spying- it was a bit difficult not to notice what was going on. It was a ground floor room with massive windows fronting onto the quad with a party going on right outside. What he did was out of order, but frankly the couple involved shouldn't have been so utterly idiotic to use that room (it wasn't even their room) and not even draw the curtains.

Actually, I don't think it was even out of order. What they did was illegal - it is illegal to perform an indecent act in a public place, and a few years ago the law was clarified to mean that a public place is somewhere easily viewable from a public place. If a couple have sex on the grass in the middle of a quad, it's entirely legal to photograph it. And legally, there's no difference between that and a ground floor room with a large open window without drawing the curtains.

You don't get to have sex in public then cry morals when someone produces pictures of it. That's the risk you take having sex in public. Now, if someone had snuck into their room to film it, that'd be entirely improper and illegal. It's entirely legal to take pictures of anything you want that's in public view, with the exception of children, for which you need parental consent. Even if you consider what he did to be being a bit of a bastard, he broke no rule, whereas they did.

the_alba
There was that complete **** who was rusticated for filming two people having sex through the window he was spying at, then distributing the footage around college.

You do realise there were loads of people spying, since, as thomasjtl has said, it was in plain view if their front quad, that loads of people walk through.
Reply 31
Drogue
Actually, I don't think it was even out of order. What they did was illegal - it is illegal to perform an indecent act in a public place, and a few years ago the law was clarified to mean that a public place is somewhere easily viewable from a public place. If a couple have sex on the grass in the middle of a quad, it's entirely legal to photograph it. And legally, there's no difference between that and a ground floor room with a large open window without drawing the curtains.

You don't get to have sex in public then cry morals when someone produces pictures of it. That's the risk you take having sex in public. Now, if someone had snuck into their room to film it, that'd be entirely improper and illegal. It's entirely legal to take pictures of anything you want that's in public view, with the exception of children, for which you need parental consent. Even if you consider what he did to be being a bit of a bastard, he broke no rule, whereas they did.

You do realise there were loads of people spying, since, as thomasjtl has said, it was in plain view if their front quad, that loads of people walk through.

Indeed, he was the good citizen, gaining evidence of their crimes! :wink:
Reply 32
thomasjtl

My mistake. He was still a creep though.
Reply 33
Drogue
He was incredibly drunk and didn't realise the person was the dean. Basically someone gets drunk, starts vomiting and being generally an extremely drunk person, the dean ends up being called, intervenes, and somewhere in this the guy manages to hit him. We're not talking a violent act of aggression, by all accounts it was more of a general flailing.

Also, dean in this context is not the head of a college or faculty, it's the person in charge of welfare at a college. It's usually a fellow, but it's not like he punched the master or president of a college.

That's an overly harsh punishment, in which case. We all have our less than ideal moments with alcohol... :rolleyes:
Reply 34
Lou76854
I'm surprised he's still allowed to teach if he has such a bad history of getting off with students. I didn't think it was such a common occurence :s-smilie:

Well, as tutor-shagging goes, I've known five tutors who have done it and three students, each different cases, so I've come across eight cases in all. One of the students is me (:redface: ) - I've been in a relationship with an Oxford tutor, but he wasn't in my department or anything so doesn't really count, and we had been 'close' before I got to Oxford (I went as a postgrad). Also my undergrad tutor at a different university. We've been together for four years, so it's not a typical case either, I suspect. But I do have a thing for tutors :p: Where serial student-shagging is concerned, the tutor usually is in trouble, yes - there's a difference between a loving relationship with one student and the habitual seduction of many. But I've never known anyone to get the sack for it - they're usually warned and kept an eye on thereafter, unless the student complains, or other student's complain of favouritism, or there's any whiff of academic malpractice going on (fudging said student's marks or suchlike).

There was a case of an Oxford tutor getting disciplined for testing out call girls in his college rooms. I can't remember where I read this, but I think it was a proper story, not just a rumour. I think he was sacked by his department but not by his college, or vice versa, which left him in an odd position. What a sleaze.
I thought that was at Cambridge
Reply 36
Drogue

Nope, didn't realise that at all. It happened just before I came up to Oxford, and when my friends saw him in the Tavern, their version of events was clearly quite misinformed too. That said, if you see a couple snogging in some public place, let alone having sex, most people wouldn't be inclined to film or photograph them.

Were they being deliberately exhibitionist or were they just a bit drunk / caught in the moment?
Reply 37
Opsimathmo
I thought that was at Cambridge

Might have been. I'm a bit sketchy on the details of that one.
the_alba
Well, as tutor-shagging goes, I've known five tutors who have done it and three students, each different cases, so I've come across eight cases in all. One of the students is me (:redface: ) - I've been in a relationship with an Oxford tutor, but he wasn't in my department or anything so doesn't really count, and we had been 'close' before I got to Oxford (I went as a postgrad). Also my undergrad tutor at a different university. We've been together for four years, so it's not a typical case either, I suspect. But I do have a thing for tutors :p: Where serial student-shagging is concerned, the tutor usually is in trouble, yes - there's a difference between a loving relationship with one student and the habitual seduction of many. But I've never known anyone to get the sack for it - they're usually warned and kept an eye on thereafter, unless the student complains, or other students complain of favouritism, or there's any whiff of academic malpractice going on (fudging said students marks or suchlike).

There was a case of an Oxford tutor getting disciplined for testing out call girls in his college rooms. I can't remember where I read this, but I think it was a proper story, not just a rumour. I think he was sacked by his department but not by his college, or vice versa, which left him in an odd position. What a sleaze.

Wonder if this is a common occurence in every uni haha. My image of clean cut oxford tutors has been tarnished lol
Reply 39
Lou76854
Wonder if this is a common occurence in every uni haha. My image of clean cut oxford tutors has been tarnished lol

Haha, me too. I had the impression that they were all 60-year-old virgins. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending