The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
All at once
Out of interest and slightly o/t, just how badly in exams do you have to do to get kicked out?

It sort of depends on the course. If medics fail one of their 2ndMB resits here, they cannot continue (unless they appeal with good reason). They might be asked to switch to natsci or are asked to leave...
Reply 81
thomasjtl
No, he means he's a troll who created an account just to say he's a tutor sleeping with students.

Read between the lines :rolleyes:
No, not a troll, and not technically a PhD/DPhil student taking tutes - I am a full time academic employee of the university and a member of the Regent House/Congregation (although my PhD/DPhil is still a work in progress).

And I'm certainly not sleeping with any of my students - my fiancee would be unimpressed for one, and I don't think my college would think very highly of it (even though, as others have pointed out, I would be unlikely to be formally disciplined for it).
Reply 83
I find it very hard to believe that a tutor at the mysterious institution of "Oxbridge" would make a username as such, and create an account just for this thread. :troll:
Reply 84
And, more importantly, the tweed socks?
Reply 85
HCD
I find it very hard to believe that a tutor at the mysterious institution of "Oxbridge" would make a username as such, and create an account just for this thread. :troll:

They're obviously trying to preserve some anonymity.
Gilliwoo
Doubt you'd be sent down for that. One of my friends is supervised by a tutor who had an affair with his student a couple years back, if that story's to be believed.

I know an academic who shags students loads, according to him. Still think it doesn't show much class at his age.
Anonymity, precisely. Not that anything I have said so far has been terribly controversial (except for the not wearing tweed socks, perhaps!) but if I were to want to criticise my college or university, whilst retaining some chance of academic promotion, it would seem sensible not to advertise exactly who I am.

Being somewhat (read entirely) new to TSR, it was only the comments about the stereotypical Oxbridge academic which provoked me to create an account and respond at all.

Nevertheless, to be thought a troll doesn't really bother me; I'm sure my students regularly think worse things about me when they see my reading lists.
Reply 88
Huw Davies
Shelley was sent down in 1811, when Oxford was still confined to Anglicans.

Thanks for clearing that up! I was reading this whilst very drunk last night hence my non-understanding of the whole issue.

That said there does seem to be an underlying current on thestudentroom to patronize people as and when others like.

It would be wise to remember that people who may frequent the forums may not have an excellent understanding regarding the history of some institutions and also that not all who use the forum are at the age of leaving school.......

Dave
Reply 89
HCD
That's an overly harsh punishment, in which case. We all have our less than ideal moments with alcohol... :rolleyes:

Quite frankly, if you get so drunk you're vomiting over people and college, that's worth a disciplinary in itself. Being drunk isn't an excuse - it's a person's choice to get drunk, and so that person needs to take responsibility for anything that happens because they choose to get drunk.

the_alba
Were they being deliberately exhibitionist or were they just a bit drunk / caught in the moment?

I think neither, I think they just didn't realise the curtains were wide open. But I think it was during the day, and without drink involved.
Reply 90
Drogue
Quite frankly, if you get so drunk you're vomiting over people and college, that's worth a disciplinary in itself. Being drunk isn't an excuse - it's a person's choice to get drunk, and so that person needs to take responsibility for anything that happens because they choose to get drunk.

Oh, yes, of course. I just think that, unless they had a history of alcoholic misdemeanours, complete rustication off-the-bat is a little OTT.
Reply 91
People weren't drunk particularly- it was an afternoon/early evening after exams had finished, so they'll have been some alcohol, but not people weren't hammered by that stage.

As for drunkeness, i think it'd probably count against you in the vomitting example- i wouldn't punish someone for vomitting everywhere unless it was because they were stupid and drunk too much.
Reply 92
shinyhappy
Someone got kicked out of Balliol accomodation for possesion of cannabis, and mouthing off to a porter who caught him smoking it. Not kicked out of the uni or anything though, just the accomodation, which I think might be their answer sometimes to disciplinary problems.

Really? When? Never heard of that. Not doubting it, I'm just surprised with the amount of stuff kicking around here that someone actually a) got caught and b) got chucked out for doing it.

edit: and I doubt vomiting would warrant punishment, even at the most anally retentive college - it's a university, not a bloody boarding school. Nobody has gotten in trouble for it at balliol this term anyway - for a start, other people tend to, y'know, clear it up instead of leaving it for the porters.
It depends on where you vomit, really, doesn't it? At my college there is a fine of 'minimum £50' for anyone who vomits in formal hall (i.e. actually in the hall itself) due to excessive alcohol consumption.
Reply 94
What about vomiting on the "Do not walk" quad lawns? Doesn't the death penalty still exist in some colleges for defiling the lawns in any way?
Reply 95
HCD
What about vomiting on the "Do not walk" quad lawns? Doesn't the death penalty still exist in some colleges for defiling the lawns in any way?

Those can only be vomited on in the presence of a fellow of the college.
Reply 96
HCD

Do those signs not actually mean "please run amok on the lawn"? They did at Wolfson!!!! :wink:
Reply 97
The lawn regulations are frequently broken, though when people walk on them it can still draw a shocked gasp from passers by. Actually, I must be conditioned by it as I jumped over a large puddle on the King's path rather than walk on the grass yesterday.
Reply 98
Catsmeat
The lawn regulations are frequently broken, though when people walk on them it can still draw a shocked gasp from passers by. Actually, I must be conditioned by it as I jumped over a large puddle on the King's path rather than walk on the grass yesterday.

Good! :hmmm:

Something I saw last term was a tourist asking why the dean just crossed the lawn. He didn't understand the concept of "senior" members of college and demanded to walk on the grass.
Reply 99
visesh
Good! :hmmm:

Something I saw last term was a tourist asking why the dean just crossed the lawn. He didn't understand the concept of "senior" members of college and demanded to walk on the grass.

That's quite amusing, actually.

It's an issue of taboo and identity; there may be no functional reason why we don't walk on the grass, but it's for 'tradition's sake'. However, there's an increasing amount of mess left by the Geese which is getting harder to circumnavigate in the dark . . .

Latest

Trending

Trending