The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Jubilee and Millhayes Science Scholarships

So basically i got a form to apply for one, and I also got the email telling me about it. So: these Jubilee and Millhayes Science Scholarships; if i get AAA+ will that automatically mean i get 2 000 pounds with the probability of getting 1000 more or what? From what the information says, it looks like they narrow it down (in february) and then actually tell you whether or not you've got one when you get your results. Now, no offence, but if they said i had got a scholarship of £2 000, i would definately put them as my firm, so why don't they tell me before i chose a uni?
And would having AAAA at AS help increase my chances or what? Is it to do about volunteer work etc. or just intelligence? Because the other scholarship was purely about volunteer work (vice-chancellor's) or something.
Cheers
Reply 1
Hi
I've got the Jubilee and Millhayes scholarship (£3000/year), and I'm pretty sure they were awarded on an academic basis. I actually heard that I'd received them before I had to make my final decision on UCAS, although I believe that was dependent on achieving AAA and making Exeter my firm. That said I've met someone who has got the Vice Chancellors Award who had Exeter as their reserve. In terms of grades I imagine your AS grades would be an advantage - I had aaaaab (including general studies) when I applied, and got AAAAab in the summer. I think having extra academic things (Arkwright scholarship and finalist in Schools' Aerospace Challenge) also helped.
Hope this is helpful. If you've got any other questions I'll try and answer them!
Good luck!!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Cool, is it tough competition? I'm going to try for it anyway, but I was just wondering! Plus, the "statement" that you have to write, what are you supposed to write about? Ie. getting 100% in a (in my case biology as that's the subject i'm applying for) exam or just saying stuff like (not in these words exactly) "I love science and maths in general" etc. What other extra-cirricular things did you put down? Oh, and my school's pretty "gangster", so my reference might be a bit rubbish (they made a typo on my UCAS form!!!!) so yeah....dunno. Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated! Oh, and do you like Exeter? Still deciding which university to go to!
Reply 3
I don't know what the competition is like really, as I don't know who else/how many other people applied - all I know is that I applied and luckily got one! I reckon if you think you will get AAA then you have a reasonable chance of getting at least the £2000 award. I don't know about sciences, but for engineering most of the offers were quite a bit lower than this, so I worked on the basis that hopefully there wouldn't be too many people with AAA applying/making Exeter their first choice.

I can't really remember exactly what I wrote about, it was quite a while ago. I think I wrote briefly about my GCSE/AS results, then went on to show how I was interested in my subject (Engineering). For example I said a bit about work experience I had done (paid summer job at an architects, and one week with a civil and structural engineering company), and also about a technology scholarship I'd received for sixth form, and about the Schools' Aerospace Challenge I'd entered with a team and reached the National finals.

I think I also wrote a little bit about my non-academic interests, such as playing in a brass band, music exams I'd taken, and various sporting acheivements. Not sure if they needed/wanted to know about that, but I thought it was best to give the impression of being a well rounded individual, not just someone who works all the time!

Hope your school write you an OK reference! But then if they make mistakes with typos and stuff then the uni must realise that that's not your fault at all...

In terms of what I think of Exeter, I really like it here. If you haven't looked round yet then I really recommend coming on an open day. I know lots of people who weren't even seriously considering it until they saw it, but then made it their firm choice. I was a bit apprehensive because the grades they wanted were much lower than I had, so I thought it wouldn't be challenging enough, but as I don't like big cities and I wanted to stay fairly local I didn't have many choices. As it is I'm definetely glad I came here. The work admittedly doesn't push me as much as it might have done if I'd gone elsewhere, but it is still interesting and worthwhile, and it means that I get enough free time to continue with lots of music/bands etc.
Reply 4
Cheers, I have been!! Love it! They only want ABB from me, so I know what you mean about the whole "not stretching yourself". although, Warwick is 'apparently' the highest university according to the times uni guide that i've applied to, and Warwick's only asking for BBB!!! Exeter are asking for ABB (previously ABBC with an A in biology until it got reduced). So yeah.....I have no idea, the universities have gone crazy.

Latest

Trending

Trending