The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
davireland
vanilla extract has a think 21 warning because it is soaked in pure alcohol. Dont rub it in, im in at 8am for a nice early start with plenty of refunds and sarcastic comments!!!

Thanks for that one! I didn't know that! Im just popping in here before work...lol! Maybe i might do a refund today :biggrin: Who knows?! I added nectar points alreadt :eek: :biggrin:

Setmefree.... im sure it'll go up in good time!
Can anyone post the link for recruiting online? I've searched the sainburys website and I can't find it.
i thought the recruitment online was only just being piloted in a few London stores, I assumed the majority of recruitment was done through application forms and at store level.
Awright. That's maybe why then lol
No that's not true, they do it for Scotland stores.

Link here
Thankyou very much, setmefree =)
It asks for qualifications but Standard Grades and Intermediate 2s arn't there. Should I just put other?

It has Intermediate as an option but is that an english thing?
Nevermind I'm looking at the wrong form lol
Haha, which store(s) are you applying for.. take it ones over in Edinburgh?
Yeah, Cameron Toll. I can only find one suitable position =(
What one do you work at?
Ughhhh when I try and change the page it comes up:

Error Cannot Display Page

You cannot complete this task because you accessed this page using the browser's navigation buttons (the browser Back button, for example).

To proceed, please select the Home link at the top of the application page to return to the main menu. Then, access this page again using the application's navigation controls (menu, links, and so on) instead of using the browser's navigation controls like Back and Forward.

Ahhhh how do I overcome this?
Buchanan galleries in glasgow. Well ones better than none! Its weird we are incredibly understaffed yet theres like 2 jobs up for day time positions at our store lol although they did have evening ones up weeks ago so maybe they are in still in the process of interviewing and deciding just now. Hopefully we'll have new starts soon.

Oh yeah its the scripting it uses, you'll have to go back to the search page I linked you to to view other jobs. A bit annoying right enough. Did you view one job then try and go back and view a different one?
Aww cool! You're a fellow Scot then?

Yes. And then when I tried to add job histories it came up that error??
I'm thinking of getting a summer job at my local Sainsbury's, as i can work proper hours as it will be after my GCSEs

Though 1) do i still just go in and ask for an application pack or is the procedure slightly different.
2) as it closes at 10pm mon-sat, i can't get a night job (which i would have preferred) although do they on the whole employ manual labourers for the unpacking etc that they do at night.

Thanks

P.S. There is also a big 24hrs TESCOs a bit (40mins!) further away as well as a bigger Sainsbury's (though on the site it says no vacancies for this store) so do you think it would be worth enquiring there instead.
They do have nightshift staff, but they must be over 18. What makes you want to work night shift though wont that effect your sleeping pattern and if you decide to go back to study come Autumn it could be difficult.

Each store is different with recruitment, as far as I know at our Sainsburys we advertise through the job centre and website. When jobs were going when I was looking there was nothing in the window but I seen it on the job centre and applied and got a call the next week. I've had customers come in and ask me for an application and I sent them to the supervisor and I didnt see them leave with any application forms so it doesnt look like we do it that way, that or we either didn't have any or weren't recruiting but you'd think even if we weren't we would be shortly and would still give them an application.

You might have to wait until nearer the time of your summer holiday coming, maybe wait until a few weeks or so before and start looking? I think they would be looking for immediate starts when carrying out recruitment rather than have you say something like 'I'm available in two months from now to start' because when they are hiring they are usually really understaffed and are interested in filling those positions asap at that time.
[QUOTE=:D QPRlover [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]]P.S. There is also a big 24hrs TESCOs a bit (40mins!) further away as well as a bigger Sainsbury's (though on the site it says no vacancies for this store) so do you think it would be worth enquiring there instead.

It's possible to travel, in fact the Sainsbury's I work in is a 30 minute train journey from home (about 13 miles). However, I go to college every day in the city centre and my college is a 2 minute walk from Sainsbury's and the train station to get home is right next to Sainsbury's.

SAAS (Student Awards Agency for Scotland), that deal with college/university tuition fees, pay student's travel expenses so I have a train pass that gets me between home and the city centre every day meaning travel money is not coming out of my pocket.

Although this won't be the case come June and through until September when I'm on summer break. You have to consider what you are losing money wise by travelling further and if it is worth it.
Pharamacy is like checkouts but you also need to know a little about medicines because you're behind the pharmacy counter. There is a course you need to complete, but it's one you do while working and isn't too challenging from what I've heard.

Interviews vary from store to store but don't get hung up on it, they're interviewing for part time supermarket staff, not the next apprentice.

The pay for under 18's was around £4.70 last I heard it might have gone up a little since but probs only 10/20p.

Trainings fine, like I say the job is not overly challenging so training doesn't exactly need to be extensive. In the case of the pharmacy job it's a national training scheme required of everyone who works behind pharmacy counters so it's rigorous enough for what you need.

And the last one is something only the store can tell you. I'd imagine they have set hours they'll need to cover (else why would they be hiring?) but they're probably taking on more than one person in which case there might be some flexibility in which person covers which hours. You will given a contract though, the hours aren't flexible week by week (well you can negociate changes, but you do have set hours).
setmefree
They do have nightshift staff, but they must be over 18. What makes you want to work night shift though wont that effect your sleeping pattern and if you decide to go back to study come Autumn it could be difficult.

Each store is different with recruitment, as far as I know at our Sainsburys we advertise through the job centre and website. When jobs were going when I was looking there was nothing in the window but I seen it on the job centre and applied and got a call the next week. I've had customers come in and ask me for an application and I sent them to the supervisor and I didnt see them leave with any application forms so it doesnt look like we do it that way, that or we either didn't have any or weren't recruiting but you'd think even if we weren't we would be shortly and would still give them an application.

You might have to wait until nearer the time of your summer holiday coming, maybe wait until a few weeks or so before and start looking? I think they would be looking for immediate starts when carrying out recruitment rather than have you say something like 'I'm available in two months from now to start' because when they are hiring they are usually really understaffed and are interested in filling those positions asap at that time.

thanks :smile: so you think I should wait a bit until nearer the summer. only thing is i want to plan my holiday time now so when i do get a job in the summer, whatever it may be, i'll want to be able to get time off for holidays!
setmefree
It's possible to travel, in fact the Sainsbury's I work in is a 30 minute train journey from home (about 13 miles). However, I go to college every day in the city centre and my college is a 2 minute walk from Sainsbury's and the train station to get home is right next to Sainsbury's.

SAAS (Student Awards Agency for Scotland), that deal with college/university tuition fees, pay student's travel expenses so I have a train pass that gets me between home and the city centre every day meaning travel money is not coming out of my pocket.

Although this won't be the case come June and through until September when I'm on summer break. You have to consider what you are losing money wise by travelling further and if it is worth it.

don't worry about money wise as the buses are free for me :smile:
only thing i was considering was the time lost commuting there and back everyday

Latest

Trending

Trending