The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
It's not too bad, the thing that i liked was that you could chose when to take your breaks and lunches and stuff which was wicked, as on tills you are allocated a time which is rubbish i reckon.
I suppose it depends on what department you want to work on.
I do like produce, i've got a thing about presentation on produce and i like to make all the stuff look really nice, theres loads of variety and its pretty easy
Grocery's alright i spose, although it does get annoying when loads of the stuff dosent go on the shelf and you just take the products off the U-boat and then back on again.
I dont like working on fresh or frozen, its too cold for my liking and my fingers feel really cold and red when ive finished.
But yeh theres lots of wandering about finding stuff for customers, If you do go onto the shop floor, i guarantee you'll be suprised at the number of people asking you where products are, i counted around 45 on one saturday
Reply 781
Yeh i do enjoy it on tills and the reason i changed was because they said i was a really good cashier and i had a good chance of progression.
I didnt think i was that good though to be honest lol
You might be making a mistake moving to the shop floor anyone I talk to that works there and is till trained so goes on tills at busy times actually hates the floor lol they say they prefer tills, although one said they do like doing a bit of floor and tills on the one shift but usually you'll be stuck with one! The floor is harder work and you'll get more customers bugging you with questions on where things are.
Reply 783
Yeh Setmefeee's right, as you have been till trained, you will be tannoyed to tills every 5 minutes, I was and my manager got really cross with it.
Yeh if you want to do a bit of both then go for it but it is as boring as the tills and it is much harder work.
Although you do get to speak to really nice people and your friends if they come in which is really good lol,
I had an old lady every sunday that i used to be her little personal shopper, she always gave me a pound at the end of it cus i took her round the store and helped her at the checkout, was great fun, we just had a natter while we went round shopping, she made the people on the csd tannoy me every sunday to help her bless her, took ages lol bout and hour! o well got paid for nattering and pushing a trolly round lol.
tokyorose888
have fun on tills :smile: lol i find it boring

hows it like on shop floor, im like those active people that like to wander about lol

Everyone finds tills boring, but I find the shop floor worse. They only really allow you to change departments if they need you on this other department but if your on a busy checkout department atm then being honest with you, there is little change of them letting you change and even if you somehow managed to get a transfer you would still spent the majority of you time on a checkout because they will grab you for lunches, breaks, overtime, busy periods.
Reply 785
Wannabe
Yeh Setmefeee's right, as you have been till trained, you will be tannoyed to tills every 5 minutes, I was and my manager got really cross with it.
Yeh if you want to do a bit of both then go for it but it is as boring as the tills and it is much harder work.
Although you do get to speak to really nice people and your friends if they come in which is really good lol,
I had an old lady every sunday that i used to be her little personal shopper, she always gave me a pound at the end of it cus i took her round the store and helped her at the checkout, was great fun, we just had a natter while we went round shopping, she made the people on the csd tannoy me every sunday to help her bless her, took ages lol bout and hour! o well got paid for nattering and pushing a trolly round lol.

Tsk tsk tsk we're not allowed to accept such things from customers
people have tried to give me money before for decent service, ive just refused it cos we're not allowed to take it and sometimes they recommend me for a shining star anyway so i do get something in the end.
Reply 787
haha yeh i know, she was one of the old ladys that wont take no for an answer and just kept telling me to accept it lol
nobody knew about it so i dnt really see the harm in it.
Some of the other staff who have helped her have said theyve accepted stuff from her, including a box of chocs at christmas lol
Reply 788
I would never take a pound off an old lady, pensions are low.
Reply 789
Not enough expereince for their poxy role :angry:
Reply 790
I didnt 'take' a pound off an old lady. I am fully aware that pensions are low, she wouldnt have offered it if she didnt want to give it. She was just saying thank you for the help i had given her.
I know we're not supposed to take benefits from customers but it was entirely her decision and i really dont see the problem with it. I did try to say no but at one point she put it im my hand and wouldnt allow me to not accept it. It wasnt like i asked for it, she offered it to me completely at her own decision.
I agree it is wrong when people expect a present from customer when they have done something good with their roles but i didnt expect it and i would never ask for such benefits, especially from an elderly person
Fair enough, sometimes you cant say no. I just say, im sorry I cant accept it because I could get into trouble if I do, and im just doing my job so theres really no need.
If I get given money and they make me take it, I just put it in the charity box. All good :smile:
Reply 793
How would you explain having money on you if you had a random security search?
Reply 794
Jhawkins
If I get given money and they make me take it, I just put it in the charity box. All good :smile:

Thats what I was going to do with it, but i couldnt find the box around the store, i dont think we even have one.

It's a quid, I doubt you'd be shot...
Reply 796
Writer14

I would have told it as it is, I wouldnt lie to get myself out of something like that.
If i got a disiplinary (which i highly doubt i would, maybe a little slap on the wrist from a manager if that) I would just face up to it and tell the truth and tell it how it happened.
I just really dont think ive done anything wrong except for breaking one company rule that most people have broken anyway.
And im sure there are much more trivial things to worry about than a part timer carrying a quid on them.
Wannabe
Thats what I was going to do with it, but i couldnt find the box around the store, i dont think we even have one.

Well I don't blame you for keeping it then. (Not that I blamed you in the first place lol). I'd rather keep it, albeit it is against company policy, than give it to Sainsbury's.
I think the point is having money in your pocket not how much is in it, as long as you tell the truth if you got a security search then your get a telling off but nothing more.
Reply 799
Yep,
well nothing happened, no harm done
I'll just try to not accept things from customers now :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending