The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
davireland
If I was your store manager I would just call them up and say "Hello, im a local resident who shops regularly at your store and I was just wondering how extensive the refurbishment works will be". Its not rocket science.

They have done it properly though, they have actually gone to the length of getting a sign made up - rather than a notice board.

I suggested to the HR people that they could look at the councils planning permission register. For extensive works they'd need planning permission? They'll need planning permission to change the signs?

On another note: Labour matching is enraging our store at the moment. With the immient arrival of self-service checkouts, their trying to get rid of a few people. They have tried looking for other stores that the people can go to and they found that Balham is severly understaffed atm, so a few of us might be sent there :frown:
Foulish
On another note: Labour matching is enraging our store at the moment. With the immient arrival of self-service checkouts, their trying to get rid of a few people. They have tried looking for other stores that the people can go to and they found that Balham is severly understaffed atm, so a few of us might be sent there :frown:

We got 13 self-service ones installed in November and luckily we havent lost anyone because of them however we have been unable to replace people who have left.
Reply 7982
davireland
We got 13 self-service ones installed in November and luckily we havent lost anyone because of them however we have been unable to replace people who have left.

With your experience of self service tills, did your kiosk get busier from customers who couldn't be bothered with self service?

If so:- :frown:
Reply 7983
Wannabe
OMG
Only one other manager apart from the checout manager is till trained. And they never go on. I think it's pretty bad when they say we should do this and do that when they havent even touched a till in their career.

Our checkout manager isn't even till trained!! :mad: :mad:
smilne21

LOL.......... Who made him the manager?:biggrin: I am better than you manager.
smilne21

Does (s)he never have to supervise on occasion?
Reply 7986
Whens the next payday 22nd or the 29th? I'm confused :s is it the last friday of every month we get paid or every 4 weeks on a friday?
Reply 7987
davireland
Does (s)he never have to supervise on occasion?

He was only made checkout manager about 2 weeks ago, but I've been on holiday for 1 of those. But of the time I was there he was just standing scheduling and observing.
ColinM89
Whens the next payday 22nd or the 29th? I'm confused :s is it the last friday of every month we get paid or every 4 weeks on a friday?

Every 4 weeks on a friday. So the next one is 22nd May.
Reply 7989
flipshot
Every 4 weeks on a friday. So the next one is 22nd May.

Have a read of this:

Thank you for attending the recent meeting to discuss your grievance of being treated in a less favourable manner than others on the checkout management department.

[bla bla]
As you stated yourself haste crossed with misunderstanding caused you to decide to resign from your job, having spoken to the commercial manager, he did spend time on the day trying to persuade you to stay.

Going forward we have no positions available at the moment but would consider you for re employment should you wish to apply for a suitable position in the future.

Thank you for your past contribution to the store and do not hesitate to contact me with any queries in the future.

I'm absolutely livid. What on earth are they chatting about? I did not resign, I was 'dismissed', and secondly, what 'haste'?

I tell you, my local Sainsbury's is going down the pan :frown: Where do they get this crap from?
Reply 7991
WhereIsMyMind
Have a read of this:

I'm absolutely livid. What on earth are they chatting about? I did not resign, I was 'dismissed', and secondly, what 'haste'?

I tell you, my local Sainsbury's is going down the pan :frown: Where do they get this crap from?

odd, sounds like a coverup
Reply 7992
WhereIsMyMind
Have a read of this:

What a load of ****
I'd give them a piece of my mind if i was you.
Is that a letter? If it is i would take that in and take it to the store manager and tell him how **** his store is.
WhereIsMyMind
Have a read of this:

Why dont you contact USDAW or the Citizens Advice Bureau because that smells like unfair dismissal?
Reply 7994
Wow that's pretty damned rotten of them.

Some stores, honestly!!

Mine's going up (minus the amount of paperwork we seem to be having to do is increasing by the week).

In fact - my wonderful boss decided that after I wrote a letter to her explaining why I wanted a certain weekend off ('cos I have 6 exams in that week that are vitally important so I wanted last minute prep weekend), and even though all the hours are gone for that weekend she turned around and authorised it providing I work 4 hours tomorrow night!!

Lucky me.

However, as it stands, I'm CONSIDERING taking a sort of little gamble really because I applied to Currys today and the application squeezed through smoothly so I'm waiting for them to contact me. It's 13 hours @ £5.74, a permanent position with a probationary period of 12 weeks and working Saturday/Sundays still. If I get invited to interview I might see if I can con them into making my Sunday hours later... and if I'm lucky they might but I'd be worried about going through 12 weeks probation. As for that, I've been at Sainsbury's nearly 8 months and things have picked up... I don't know if it's worth the risk picking up something that could present me with all the same problems and heaps more problems 'n such.

Commission based selling is "for me" apparently
But I dunno if it's too big a risk. :woo:
Reply 7995
lotsofsnails
ugh working on fresh foods is hell :argh: ive had 20 hours of it this week

ah someone who is not on checkout, fresh is cold work
Wannabe
What a load of ****
I'd give them a piece of my mind if i was you.
Is that a letter? If it is i would take that in and take it to the store manager and tell him how **** his store is.

I am really considering going in, (collecting my payslip), and giving them a piece of my mind. As it stands, I left on my own will. I clearly didn't and I would love to see the disciplinary notes - as nowhere did I mention I wanted to leave. And neither was I given the opportunity to stay? Unless they class being left outside to sit, a moment of reflection?

I have never in my whole life felt so cheated and conned. I totally understand some numpty in HR/Personnel messed up my contract and subsequently my pay was overpaid (the standard is ~£6 - not £8.11) and if they spoke to me, I would have gladly accepted a pay deduction.

I know that Sainsbury's was never going to be long term and was only a way to earn some extra cash. However, I really did give it 110%, I was always there for overtime, never whinged that I never left on time, I was effectively doing more than what I should have been (I even on occasions managed the schedule for weeks, overtimes, holidays) - even though there was several other CTS's.

Talk about giving an inch, and taking a mile.
davireland
Why dont you contact USDAW or the Citizens Advice Bureau because that smells like unfair dismissal?

I contacted USDAW and they have asked me to visit them tomorrow with the copy of the letter and my contract.
Reply 7998
Nah this thread should be for checkouts only :biggrin:
Reply 7999
Haha cus checkouts has the most to moan about out of all the departments!
But we welcome moaning from other departments too! :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending