The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

setmefree
'..you’ll have plenty of variety, from preparing food and drink and setting up cabinet displays to serving on the till and clearing tables.'

Straight from the Sainsbury's website if that helps haha. You thinking of going for that now then?

:biggrin: Well i applied and havent got an online rejection :biggrin: but I really did love working on checkouts *sigh*

Also applied for another position a couple of days back for a general assistant job on fresh foods, and I am just trying to keep my options open since twice I have gotten through but because so many people got though, I didn't end up getting a job interview

Fresh foods, is that basically fruit and veg? and is it basically replenishing?
Fresh covers fruit and vegetables like you say and all foods that are chilled.. meats, ready meals, pizzas, yoghurts, etc. I've never worked on fresh apart from dressing shelves. my fingers always end up freezing when I'm doing that for a while haha.
Reply 9962
XCRUSHESX
:biggrin: Well i applied and havent got an online rejection :biggrin: but I really did love working on checkouts *sigh*

Also applied for another position a couple of days back for a general assistant job on fresh foods, and I am just trying to keep my options open since twice I have gotten through but because so many people got though, I didn't end up getting a job interview

Ooooh, you'll like the Dishwasher. I got put in there the other week because they where desperatly short staffed and I was put on dishwashing duty. I wish my dishwasher was as quick as theirs!

Not to get you down though, dishwashing has the potential to get super-boring after the novelty of it has worn off.

Good luck :P
Hmm the prospects of cleaning dishes makes me just think "I don't even do it at home, is this something I'd want to do at work :s-smilie:"

Ahh I hate being so picky since it isn't the best of times :p: but I learnt that I can't be so desperate about jobs because I might choose one that I don't like and end up hating the job :frown:
setmefree
Fresh covers fruit and vegetables like you say and all foods that are chilled.. meats, ready meals, pizzas, yoghurts, etc. I've never worked on fresh apart from dressing shelves. my fingers always end up freezing when I'm doing that for a while haha.

Ooh sounds fun :smile:...
BTW with the customer restaurant assistant, it says preparing food :\ so I will be making food because I don't want to give anyone salmonella :frown:
Reply 9965
i think the restaurant just sticks ready meals in the oven, so you shouldn't really give them food poisoning, unless you decide to rub a raw chicken in someones choco cake. didn't realise they had frozen ready meals until a few weeks ago when a lady brought out a frozen box for me to scan.

it looks a pretty cool job
mug51
i think the restaurant just sticks ready meals in the oven, so you shouldn't really give them food poisoning, unless you decide to rub a raw chicken in someones choco cake. didn't realise they had frozen ready meals until a few weeks ago when a lady brought out a frozen box for me to scan.

it looks a pretty cool job

oooh so customers bring food to the Restaurant and the workers there cook it for them and serve it? Because I have never seen one before in Sainsburys lool
Reply 9967
lol, i didnt mean customers find something from the shopfloor and take it to the restuarant, that would be a crazy idea.

i think the restaurant have their own ready meal supply in their freezer and you just cook that. but they also do a daily shop around on the shop for stuff like bread, milk, beans etc. so theres some cooking in that but don't think you will be expected to whip up a lasagne from scratch.
mug51
lol, i didnt mean customers find something from the shopfloor and take it to the restuarant, that would be a crazy idea.

i think the restaurant have their own ready meal supply in their freezer and you just cook that.

It would be a cool idea :cool: :rolleyes: loool

But, I don't know I think I'll give it a chance if all goes to plan :smile:
Reply 9969
XCRUSHESX

Fresh foods actually normally does not cover fruit and veg, which is the produce department. It is fresh meat, ready meals, yogs, juice, butter, cream cakes, and anything else in a fridge, basically.
Reply 9970
flipshot
I hope the double sided printers are faster as they promise. We're getting in them in two weeks. The ones we currently have are ridiculous, if someone spends over about £60 you have to wait about 30 seconds before it starts printing and then it stops and has a quick rest half way through. I never understand why duplicate receipts take ages either it prints it out line by line. I could understand it if the original receipt printed out bit by bit as you scanned items but it doesn't so there is no reason why duplicate receipts should take so long.

I know what you mean with the old ones! It is quite weird for me working in 2 stores at the moment, because 1 has new tills and 1 has old tills, so it just makes the old ones seem so much slower.
I don't understand the duplicate receipts either tbh, I know it loads it one line at a time, but with a duplicate on the 2 sided ones, it doesn't start printing until the till has loaded it all.
Lukely
I'll be going the same way... when I have a new job to go to. It's not a case of if, I WILL find something if it kills me. Such a ******* "miserable make you feel like *****" weekend there tbh.

I'm just real hacked off with Sainsbury's right now. I don't know why people subject themselves to a job where on teh whole customers just view you as dirt and whatever, the policies suck arse and so does the staff treatment in general full-stop. They don't even think to inform people about changes and stuff to policy, all of a sudden they just happen and then if you make those mistakes you get busted in for them.

I know this comes and goes in spells for me but uncertainty is only resolved upon termination of my career with Sainsbury's after securing something more prosperous elsewhere I know nothing better to assume than that.

Yeh there certainly seems to be a communication problem in our store :yes: I only learned online shoppers can pick stuff with shorter dates now when I had my shopping delivered & read the leaflet that came with it. And I work in online shopping dept lmao! :eek3:
WhereIsMyMind
I believe Sainsbury's base ('Band 2') pay is £4.54 (under 18) and £5.92 (over 18). It is due to increase at the end of the summer I believe.

I wouldn't say getting the job is incredibly difficult. However, I've seen perfect candidates rejected :frown:

that's not bad :biggrin:

eh hopefully I get an interview lol it was odd cause a few days ago there were only about 4 jobs available in lincolnshire and now theres about 4 pages and 90% are from the store I applied to so hopefully I'll get an interview with that many slots open. Eh, fingers crossed :biggrin:
Reply 9973
I'd say it was difficult to get the job because there are so many people going for each position these days...
FXX
I'd say it was difficult to get the job because there are so many people going for each position these days...

do you know how long it normally takes them to reject or accept the application?
Reply 9975
Wow we're on page 500 of The Sainsbury's Thread now!!
Reply 9976
Spazzycazzy
Yeh there certainly seems to be a communication problem in our store :yes: I only learned online shoppers can pick stuff with shorter dates now when I had my shopping delivered & read the leaflet that came with it. And I work in online shopping dept lmao! :eek3:

I found out last night from another colleague that our department manager is pregnant? lol seriously all female checkout staff seem to be getting pregnant in our store... what's going on?!

We'll be in a 'there's nobody left they're all having babies' situation soon... because there won't be anyone left except the under 18s and we can't run a store without them! If the checkout staff themselves dont happen to be pregnant, the guys will have to leave as well on paternity leave...

This is mad. lol
:rofl: So it was 06:59, I was standing in front of the clocking in machine waiting for it to change to 07:00 so i could clock out, and there was a security check, and the 'fresh foods team leader' was there. And he says to me "you shouldn't be standing around here waiting to clock out, you could've worked that extra minute! :mad:" and i was like 'ok...' and the security guard sort of smirked, and he looked at him and said 'what? :hmmm:' and he was like 'nothing :awesome:'
:rofl2:
lotsofsnails
:rofl: So it was 06:59, I was standing in front of the clocking in machine waiting for it to change to 07:00 so i could clock out, and there was a security check, and the 'fresh foods team leader' was there. And he says to me "you shouldn't be standing around here waiting to clock out, you could've worked that extra minute! :mad:" and i was like 'ok...' and the security guard sort of smirked, and he looked at him and said 'what? :hmmm:' and he was like 'nothing :awesome:'
:rofl2:

I would have told him to STFU! He leads you on the shopfloor, not at the clocking machine. :mad:

What a dick! :yes:
Lukely
I found out last night from another colleague that our department manager is pregnant? lol seriously all female checkout staff seem to be getting pregnant in our store... what's going on?!

We'll be in a 'there's nobody left they're all having babies' situation soon... because there won't be anyone left except the under 18s and we can't run a store without them! If the checkout staff themselves dont happen to be pregnant, the guys will have to leave as well on paternity leave...

This is mad. lol

I guess for many this is an excellent time to get pregnant. My manager (PTM) is pregnant too. But she's waiting it out - like she could pop any day soon. She's really nice though, and I wish her well. She got me a nice leaving hamper (I could have hugged her, but I wouldn't have got my arms around.. :biggrin:)

Edit: Post number 10000 :biggrin: :smile: :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending