The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes. But my checkout manager is evil and she gives out badges saying "Frederick", "Cuthbert" or "Penelope" or other weird names :p:
and how do you phone in sick anyways...i find it really awkward just to say :

Hi im really sick today, so cant come in to work..................lol
No, you just dont get paid, they dont expect you to make it up. You call up and you get put through to the duty manager and they take your name, department and whats wrong with you. Ive never been ill and had to miss a shift but ive transferred people through to the duty.

I dont have my job title on mine, ive just got my name. I prefer that because then you can pretend your more important than you actually are because if my badge had 'assistant' on it then im sure more people would ask to speak to a manager because they wouldnt think im senior enough.
I just say my name, department, what's wrong and the shift I'm supposed to be doing. And when I will be back.
Jhawkins
I just say my name, department, what's wrong and the shift I'm supposed to be doing. And when I will be back.

thnx :smile:...i assumed you called in sick before then, lol :smile:....the thing is i have an exam all week, and they clash with one of my work days..and they wont let me offf.....( i understand because their short of staff) but given the choice, exams are more important!!! :smile: lol

did you just say it in your normal voice, or did you put on the "sick voice" if you know what i mean
Lol, I spoke normally. Albeit with a slight lethargic tone to my voice.
Reply 986
If we forget ours, we just ask personnel to print us a new label and stick it onto a new badge.

The badge is tested in the MCM, so any badge is better than no badge, and also, if you are mentioned, they won't know it was really you!
Reply 987
Jhawkins
Yes. But my checkout manager is evil and she gives out badges saying "Frederick", "Cuthbert" or "Penelope" or other weird names :p:

Lmao our store does the same lol evil managers :biggrin:

mine just has my name on it and the white writing underneath, really annoying when one of the letters rubbs off
tokyorose888
thnx :smile:...i assumed you called in sick before then, lol :smile:....the thing is i have an exam all week, and they clash with one of my work days..and they wont let me offf.....( i understand because their short of staff) but given the choice, exams are more important!!! :smile: lol

did you just say it in your normal voice, or did you put on the "sick voice" if you know what i mean

Why didnt you get a shift swap or inform them 4 weeks before? supervisors get really pissed off if people call in sick, especially if they know you were trying to get that day off anyway.
davireland
Why didnt you get a shift swap or inform them 4 weeks before? supervisors get really pissed off if people call in sick, especially if they know you were trying to get that day off anyway.

i told them 4 weeks before and tried to get a shift swap but no-one i asked wanted to do my swap.:frown:
did u offer to take it unpaid to your CTS?
Reply 991
Tokyorose, Did you only get your exam timetable last week? I got mine last week, and i didnt know what times the exams would be until late last week so i'm so glad i dont have an exam on the days i work because i wouldnt be able to get them off at short notice.
Theres not you can do about exam times and overlapping with work and im sure you'll agree that your exams are much more important than Sainsburys and keeping CTS's happy :smile:
Do what you can, try and get someone to swap shifts but if not just phone in sick, or get an authorised absence, which they dont like either.
I'd go higher, like to the store manager and explain the problem. School is your priority.
davireland
did u offer to take it unpaid to your CTS?

my CTS was really nice and explained to be that they dont do unpaid holiday anymore, but if they did then i would be able to take it off.
Wannabe
Tokyorose, Did you only get your exam timetable last week? I got mine last week, and i didnt know what times the exams would be until late last week so i'm so glad i dont have an exam on the days i work because i wouldnt be able to get them off at short notice.
Theres not you can do about exam times and overlapping with work and im sure you'll agree that your exams are much more important than Sainsburys and keeping CTS's happy :smile:
Do what you can, try and get someone to swap shifts but if not just phone in sick, or get an authorised absence, which they dont like either.

I got them last week friday...and most of it clashes with my exam period:frown: ....i tried by asking everyone if they want to swap shifts but i dont think anyone would want to do 0730-1130 on a wednesday ( my exams 0900-1200 btw) and i tried to offer to do it later in the day, but they say theyve already got enough people.
In that case you have little choice, they will be expecting it anyway and should have already have found cover. Also Jhawkins, a duty or the store manager wouldnt care, we both know what they are like, they are target driven and think completely about the store not about personal circumstance so it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference.
davireland
In that case you have little choice, they will be expecting it anyway and should have already have found cover. Also Jhawkins, a duty or the store manager wouldnt care, we both know what they are like, they are target driven and think completely about the store not about personal circumstance so it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference.

extremely true, my manager cares about how well the store runs only, she has no feelings whatsoever, the only time she laughs/smiles is if she can successfully force peopler to do overtime.

and how would they be expecting it? i told them, and they said that , ok you could have this day off only if you do the next day or find someone to cover your shift, i said ill try look for someone to cover my shift but i cant do the next day because it clashes with my exams too.....she just looked at me with disbelief

lol:smile:
Reply 997
And if you phone in sick, youve got to phone at least one hour before,
Do you work 7:30-11:30??? ouch!! Are you on checkouts? What time does your store open?
So if you start work at 7:30 you need to phone at 6:30 or before
Wannabe
And if you phone in sick, youve got to phone at least one hour before,
Do you work 7:30-11:30??? ouch!! Are you on checkouts? What time does your store open?
So if you start work at 7:30 you need to phone at 6:30 or before

i do magazines during those times, but then i jump on tills when it gets busier.

im not even sure if my store is open at 6.30 lol
I doubt so :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending