The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

pri0256
You should always sign off if you're not serving.
You don't need to input a queue number, the system will estimate one for you based on what other people who are serving have entered. Obviously if everyone is signed off, the system will rightly assume there are no queues :smile:

Staying signed on when not serving doesn't affect your Items Per Minute (IPM) but it does affect your idle time, which in turn affects the productivity of the department. If every cashier had say... 2 hours idle time a week, when it comes to labour matching, they will take away 2 hours from the department for every cashier, as they will assume those hours aren't needed as you aren't doing anything! Therefore, we sign off :smile:

EDIT: Help Packing screen? I assume that's the message that comes up in a red box when you sign in? It's different for every store, we can edit it on the computer :smile: Ours says something about nectar cards, and occasionally it says who had the highest IPM that week. We've started rewarding people who get the highest IPM :smile:

at my place, we press enter. when we are not serving and thats how to stop it affecting productivity, well thats what they told me lol
A CTS told me that if a customer is really slow in packing or rushes of to get something, then i should press enter so it doesnt affect my scan rate.
Reply 1182
davireland
A CTS told me that if a customer is really slow in packing or rushes of to get something, then i should press enter so it doesnt affect my scan rate.

I do that too. I think it counts from the first item scanned to the time enter is pressed. You get it more on the kiosk, as people give you the shopping, you scan it through, then they say they want some cigs too.
Well we were never told anything about it.. does it really matter anyway if its slow. Surely if a colleague was being that slow at scanning and packing supervisors would notice their lck of effort anyway. I dont think anyone cares about items per minute at our store I've never heard one mention of it in the 8 months I've been there.
Reply 1184
We get told every now and again what our scan speed is. Im on the right target speed. Its hard to scan fast on some tills bcos the scanners are crap. Some are ok, but you get some that are awful. We need the new ones!
Your stores must be different then, to be honest we have to pack everything so theres no ay we can scan as quickly when we have to pack every item aswell as you scan then pack, then scan another then pack...

I think our occasional observations from supervisors are a good enough check of us going at a good pace with the scanning. I had an observation last night and they told me my new target is to try and get customers to buy bags for life, ha as if I'm going to offer a bag to life to every customer. If they want one they'll ask. I can sometimes suggest it might be easier for them if they have really heavy stuff but other than that I'm not going to.
The bag for life question is part of the MCM criteria. If you don't ask it you'll loose marks. Load of nonsense I know, having to rattle off a load of questions, but it's better to try and get a bonus.
Reply 1187
Writer14
The bag for life question is part of the MCM criteria. If you don't ask it you'll loose marks. Load of nonsense I know, having to rattle off a load of questions, but it's better to try and get a bonus.

I don't ask, but i got 100% on mcm at the start of this month.

People look at you funny when you ask them so many questions.
Oh-No!
I don't ask, but i got 100% on mcm at the start of this month.

People look at you funny when you ask them so many questions.

Were you inspected on a till or on CSD?
Reply 1189
Does anybody know if Sainsbury's still takes on 15 year olds?
ahhhh! i finally got my RTW today, and my manager was like why didnt you phone the duty manager's number, i said becuase i didnt know it, he said " well you should of known" and i said "oh", then he said "get back to your till now"

lol :smile: that was quick, i thought it was a longer process.
Reply 1191
davireland
Were you inspected on a till or on CSD?

It was on a till. I was impressed with myself. It makes you feel more confident when you are rewarded.

Matt08
Does anybody know if Sainsbury's still takes on 15 year olds?

My store does, but idk if all the stores are the same.
i think its once you have your N.I card, they'll take you
To be honest the total lack of rewards in our work for anyone makes you not want to bother. I've been giving 100% for 8 months and dont even get a comment off anyone saying you are doing well. The observations are always about what you should be doing.. like asking every customer if they want a bag for life.

I dont think im going to last there much longer than a year on those bloody checkouts lol.
setmefree
To be honest the total lack of rewards in our work for anyone makes you not want to bother. I've been giving 100% for 8 months and dont even get a comment off anyone saying you are doing well. The observations are always about what you should be doing.. like asking every customer if they want a bag for life.

I dont think im going to last there much longer than a year on those bloody checkouts lol.

after the year, just leave and find another job, thats what im doing lol :smile: sainsburys is like a stepping stone. they under pay me every month! im just really sick of it
just wondering, does your discount card work after you've left sainsburys?
Nope theyll stop it working.

By the way I really beleive they have done me out of an hours overtime I have marked on my calendar that im due 2 hours overtime for this wage I got today and it said 1 hour overtim. Raging! lol I dont have proof though do I that I did an extra hour?
Reply 1197
you should do if you clocked in. also it should be on the checkout rotas
What happens if I accidently pressed 'no' when it asked if you worked overtime because im always rushing for the last train when I work til 10 and theres a possibility that I could have.. shouldn't their rota down at checkouts say I was in 5 hours and not 4 anyway?
Reply 1199
Im just received my 6th payslip. Can i get a reward card now and does my pay increase?
Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending