The Student Room Group
Reply 1
GGA1 is the easiest paper ever. Im doing GGA2 which is economics, industries, settlements, population dynamics. A heck lot better than GGA1. Im looking forward to doing the exam actually cos 6 months ago, I didnt bother to do any revision at all for the exam but now I have, I'll be all prepared. I hope I get higher than a C this time for this module to match my other As.
Good luck Susie!

You'll ace it hun :hugs:
Reply 3
lil groovy dude
Good luck Susie!

You'll ace it hun :hugs:

I'm not so sure about that :wink: but thanks Sohail! :hugs:
Reply 4
Im doing this tomorrow and am gonna fail it. ive been trying to revise and absolutely nothing is going in - i keep getting u's in practice papers. What topics do you reckon are gonna come up
Reply 5
gm88
Im doing this tomorrow and am gonna fail it. ive been trying to revise and absolutely nothing is going in - i keep getting u's in practice papers. What topics do you reckon are gonna come up

I'm sure you did okay in the end! It seemed to be one of those papers where you could have not revised, and still got the same mark. Arghhh, the layout was so odd though- like none of the papers previously. I suppose they're probably testing out the new syllabus to a degree, like they did with GCSE Science last year.

I really messed up though, so I guess it's resit time this summer.. :p:
Reply 6
I did GGA3 this morning, the human question... paper seemed strange, the last 4 questions seemed to be very similar to what the previous question had asked. ie. the final question asked to comment on problems/issues related to an article regarding working conditions for clothes makers in Sri Lanka, and the previous question had asked to comment on how figures showing French clothes imports reflects globalisation, and the effects of it.

And before that, the question was a photo of the Oxford science park and you was asked to label the features (This same question appeared last year, with exactly the same photograph, so was easy :biggrin:) but then the following question asked you to write an email to a business colleague (WTF!) to explain why they should locate their business there.

I think i ended up repeating my self a fair bit in each question, because they seemed to touch on similar topics, either that or it was simply me reading it wrong! meh.

Can see a re-sit this summer to ;o
Did the Unit 2 which is human geography...question 1 and 3 were ok, question 2 caught me out..so heres hoping for atleast a B.

if i'm lucky the grade boundaries will be lower or the exact same as last year :frown:
Reply 8
I thought that question 3 actually caught me out, I didnt even study the spheres of influences but it was a easy question anyway. :biggrin: The second question was talking about where would you find the retail places which is on teh outskirts of town where they have greenfield sites- as you could see the massive car park. Then the costs/benefits of a shop in the town centre- I put that it would benefit from having the majorty of teh pedestrian traffic, but due to small space, lack of ability to expand its facilities, would have to limit their stock, lack of car park means their only customers are the pedestrians. Also, high rent as it it a CBD. What was the other question as well, I've forgotten the third part of the second question. Here's hoping for a B too so I can have a stronger A overall. :smile:
Reply 9
yeep i did the GGA3 i know what ur talking about Orli!!! what kinda stuff did you write about for the globalisation question and what did u anotate in the pic? o yer lol nd did u commnet alot on teh last question cz i jus basically re worte it in my own words with a couple of 'comments'
blahbloo
I thought that question 3 actually caught me out, I didnt even study the spheres of influences but it was a easy question anyway. :biggrin: The second question was talking about where would you find the retail places which is on teh outskirts of town where they have greenfield sites- as you could see the massive car park. Then the costs/benefits of a shop in the town centre- I put that it would benefit from having the majorty of teh pedestrian traffic, but due to small space, lack of ability to expand its facilities, would have to limit their stock, lack of car park means their only customers are the pedestrians. Also, high rent as it it a CBD. What was the other question as well, I've forgotten the third part of the second question. Here's hoping for a B too so I can have a stronger A overall. :smile:

Yeah i wrote all that for question 3...but that spheres of influence question was extremely annoying. I think i absolutely messed it up. Hopefull that won't drag me down too much.
Reply 11
El-Taji
yeep i did the GGA3 i know what ur talking about Orli!!! what kinda stuff did you write about for the globalisation question and what did u anotate in the pic? o yer lol nd did u commnet alot on teh last question cz i jus basically re worte it in my own words with a couple of 'comments'

For the globalisation question i made reference to interdependence between LEDCs/MEDCs, also mentioned about MNCs and how the source goods globally, to take advantage of prices, cheap labour etc. Think i also commented on how a lot of the imports are from new EU countries in eastern europe, so taking advantage of cheap goods and no import taxes.

The labels for the picture i found fairly easy, it appeared in the Jan 07 paper for GGA2 - although only worth 3 marks then. I made reference to the fact its a greenfield site / lots of landscaping - attractiveness / planned layout / room for expansion / large carparks close to buildings / modern buildings / internal road access with roundabouts (seems to be a favourite of the examiners) etc.

And for the last question, i was kinda running out of time so rushed it a bit, and only really skimmed through the article, but made reference to MNCs exploiting cheap labour in LEDCs (probably relied on repetition of the article here) also made some comments about how the USA despite being an MEDC with high wages can undercut Sri Lanka's cotton prices due to heavy subsidies it gives its farmers - how this is "unfair" as Sri Lanka cant offer the same subsidies, so its workers have to work for less to stay competitive, effectively the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer etc.
Reply 12
yep thats cool kinda did the same thing just looked at the boundries for the jan exams and they stary at around 60-70% which is good!!hope i did well so i dont have to resit in summer....i swear this was a relativleyt easy papaer compared to last yrs!!what u think u got?
Reply 13
CescvanRaikkonen
Yeah i wrote all that for question 3...but that spheres of influence question was extremely annoying. I think i absolutely messed it up. Hopefull that won't drag me down too much.

Did you mention the population ( or density of population), the services/shops in a particular area will have a large influence, and use examples like football matches or the number of people in out of town retail shops to see its sphere of influence. Just examples and stuff.. It's only ten mark question, as along you did okay on the other questions, it should be fine for you! :smile:
Reply 14
El-Taji
yep thats cool kinda did the same thing just looked at the boundries for the jan exams and they stary at around 60-70% which is good!!hope i did well so i dont have to resit in summer....i swear this was a relativleyt easy papaer compared to last yrs!!what u think u got?

Well, i'm hoping for an A, but really not sure! Spoke to geography teacher today who seemed to think the answers were ok, so shall just have to wait and see :biggrin:
Reply 15
What was this spehere of influence question about? I can't seem to remember it. What was the exact question?

Thanks.
Been, it was something along the lines of,
'How would sphere of influence be defined'..

Latest