The Student Room Group

Germany's Martin Schulz wants 'United States of Europe' within five years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/07/martin-schulz-united-states-of-europe-germany-sdp

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/merkel-s-rival-martin-schulz-demands-a-united-states-of-europe-by-2025-as-price-of-coalition-9rg2dc57j

Of course it is Germany who want Europe to be one. They attempted (and failed) to conquer Europe in both World Wars and now they are attempting to do it again, through the EU.

Attachment not found

They would force all countries to join the United States of Europe and the countries who refuse will get kicked out. This would certainly destroy the EU, once and for all, since it is unlikely the Eastern European countries, or many at all honestly, within the EU will comply with this ridiculousness.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

won't work
But devolution has so many pesky subsystems.
For anyone anti-Brexiteers who were ever in any doubt - this is the grand European vision - a confederacy under the strict control of Brussels via Berlin and Paris. All the things that historically Britain has been opposed to and that sceptics have warned about (that were dismissed by pro-EU people) have come to pass.

Just as we are leaving, they are putting together common defence policy. Now that we are leaving, they're emboldened to talk about a federal Europe.

Why would any sane person want Britain to remain in the EU?
Original post by Chaz254
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/07/martin-schulz-united-states-of-europe-germany-sdp

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/merkel-s-rival-martin-schulz-demands-a-united-states-of-europe-by-2025-as-price-of-coalition-9rg2dc57j

Of course it is Germany who want Europe to be one. They attempted (and failed) to conquer Europe in both World Wars and now they are attempting to do it again, through the EU.

Attachment not found

They would force all countries to join the United States of Europe and the countries who refuse will get kicked out. This would certainly destroy the EU, once and for all, since it is unlikely the Eastern European countries, or many at all honestly, within the EU will comply with this ridiculousness.

Hopefully there won't be an EU in 5 years' time.
Original post by Trinculo
Why would any sane person want Britain to remain in the EU?

Because disagreement, rather than compromise, is always childish.
Original post by SWCoffee
Because disagreement, rather than compromise, is always childish.

I have no idea what you said there.
Original post by Trinculo
I have no idea what you said there.

In any relationship, personal or diplomatic, folding your arms and walking away rather than working hard to seek compromise, is simply childish and counterproductive. That's just it.
In any relationship, personal or diplomatic, folding your arms and walking away rather than working hard to seek compromise, is simply childish and counterproductive. That's just it.

There is no evidence in the history of the EU that it is capable of compromise or reform. Indeed, every time there has been significant obstacle to the scheme of enlargement and centralisation of powers - the EU has either ignored the dissent or gerrymandered any decision it disliked.

Look at the behaviour of the EU post-referendum. It's the behaviour of the most arrogant kind of bully. Why would anyone want to stay within such an organisation?
If that's truly the case, then it's impossible to compromise.

However, I don't think the EU are foolish enough to ignore the fact that satisfied subjects are also profitable subjects. Every sensible business leader is willing to compromise in order to maximize their long-term profit.

I should also point out that other EU member states have thus far been unwilling to demonstrate in such a radical manner as the UK, which, from my perspective, went from 0 mph to an immediate referendum virtually overnight.

It all just reeks of childishness.
Original post by Chaz254
Of course it is Germany who want Europe to be one.

You mean Schulz wants one.

Irrespective of that, I'm sure we all know this isn't feasible by 2023 in the slightest. Given the current political climate I don't suspect many countries would sign up to this. Would have to take something extraordinary for that to become something you would get 27 countries to say yes to.

However, I don't think the EU are foolish enough to ignore the fact that satisfied subjects are also profitable subjects. Every sensible business leader is willing to compromise in order to maximize their long-term profit.

I should also point out that other EU member states have thus far been unwilling to demonstrate in such a radical manner as the UK, which, from my perspective, went from 0 mph to an immediate referendum virtually overnight.

UK has always been standoffish towards the EU, got itself into a very privileged position where it got to ignore half the rules but still take the benefits, then carried on treating the EU with suspicion, because it was easier for mediocre politicians to blame the EU than admit fault, and euromyths were easy column inches for poor journalists (like Boris Johnson). It was not 0mph to referendum, it was years of a toxic attitude towards the EU before a gamble to reign in a noisy minority of tories backfired.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
gamble

Basically my thoughts, lol.
The EU doing what Hitler couldn't
Paint?
Of course. But as I already pointed out, other EU member states seem contented.

With this in mind, the UK's reaction seems unfortunately dramatic.
Imagine equating the EU with Nazi Germany lmao, aren't you the ones who complain when people call Trump a fascist?

The whole reason the referendum was called was because the eu was unwilling to compromise. There has been massive eurosceptic sentiment in the U.K. for years and incessant trips by pms to try and negotiate with the eu. It all achieved nothing because the eu was unwilling to make any compromises. Hence the only option left was to leave
Original post by D3LLI5
The whole reason the referendum was called was because the eu was unwilling to compromise. There has been massive eurosceptic sentiment in the U.K. for years and incessant trips by pms to try and negotiate with the eu. It all achieved nothing because the eu was unwilling to make any compromises. Hence the only option left was to leave

I don't buy the whole "everyone thinks it so it must be true".

Unfortunately it leads me to believe your other points are spurious.
For people who are saying Remainers were wrong to assert United States of Europe wasn't on the horizon. What you have to remember is that prior to Brexit, it wasn't. Our leaving has excited substantive EU reforms -- and why wouldn't it? We've always been the least willing to integrate and it was always the UK and Ireland the EU were trying to placate with their compromised treaty directions.

I have to confess I find the idea of a United States of Europe pleasant. I see no reason to object to it any more than I object my local council being subordinate to Westminster. Also I don't think UK's involvement with the EU project is over. With Brexit exciting these reforms, the Leave camp might have effected the outcome they were most anxious to avoid. Good on them.

More importantly, there is a movement towards increased integration at the WTO level. By leaving the EU we are not removing the problem of globalisation. We are simply making ourselves more vulnerable to market pressures by not having an immense trade group like the EU to represent our interests.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending