The Student Room Group

May's deal with the EU

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeBruyne18
£39 billion.
What an absolute waste of money. To think what that money could actually be spent on.

Do you not understand obligations?

Why not decide that your rent / mortgage is a waste of money and spend it on something else instead? Then see what happens.
Original post by ByEeek
Do you not understand obligations?

Why not decide that your rent / mortgage is a waste of money and spend it on something else instead? Then see what happens.

Indeed stay in the single market an extra two years but I’m not paying the same amount I have done for decades.

It’s retarded
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Maintaining control of our laws, borders, and institutions is now a matter of 'petty ideology' :no:

Except Brexit isn't going to achieve that is it?

Jesus Christ when will the penny drop for you cretins.
Original post by paul514
Indeed stay in the single market an extra two years but I’m not paying the same amount I have done for decades.

It’s retarded

It seems like we are just giving into the EU on everything. I reckon the £50 billion figure was floated about a few weeks ago just so May could claim it was a 'win' to get them down to a mere £39 billion!
It's funny how her premiership has been "saved" by the agreement yesterday on the divorce settlement.

The EU knows that if Theresa May fails and is kicked out she will be replaced with a Eurosceptic.
Reply 45
With all due respect but she's hardly a Europhile to start out with.
Original post by DeBruyne18
It seems like we are just giving into the EU on everything. I reckon the £50 billion figure was floated about a few weeks ago just so May could claim it was a 'win' to get them down to a mere £39 billion!

All sorts of figures up to 100 billion has been floated. The point is of the figure of 35-39 billion more than half of it is eu membership fees for the transition period and the rest is paid over donkeys years for long standing commitments like pensions.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Except Brexit isn't going to achieve that is it?

Jesus Christ when will the penny drop for you cretins.

That’s exactly what this deal provides, people are trying to find negatives in it not realising that effectively the Irish issue was put on hold by all sides to start trade talks as it had become intractable without knowing the trade terms.

Nothing is agreed until everything is.

Trade really isn’t that hard they will both agree 90% of it in the first week then argue until the cows come home on the rest coming out with a deal suddenly just like today.
Original post by paul514

It’s retarded

Let me rephrase that. "I going to move house in two years. But I'm not going to pay the same rent in that time. Its retarded."

Why is it retarded to get something cheaper than you did before but gain the same benefit? If you say you are going to pay for something or a number of years, surely your very credibility is worth honouring that payment? Sure, we could just leave and pay nothing, but why would anyone want to do a deal with a country that didn't honour its promises and changed the deal at no notice?
Original post by ByEeek
Let me rephrase that. "I going to move house in two years. But I'm not going to pay the same rent in that time. Its retarded."

Why is it retarded to get something cheaper than you did before but gain the same benefit? If you say you are going to pay for something or a number of years, surely your very credibility is worth honouring that payment? Sure, we could just leave and pay nothing, but why would anyone want to do a deal with a country that didn't honour its promises and changed the deal at no notice?

Yea we’re making the same point 😏
Original post by Iridocyclitis
It's funny how her premiership has been "saved" by the agreement yesterday on the divorce settlement.

The EU knows that if Theresa May fails and is kicked out she will be replaced with a Eurosceptic.

Honestly, there was so much positive PR flowing yesterday, it was like spending the day at a cult get together where they welcome the guru to his heavenly role. You'd think the Tories had saved the world. All that really happened was they accepted reality and the Commission position on all points and made up some nice sounding words on the Irish border that are undeliverable unless we keep the Single Market.

It is actually positive that the Tory cabinet are letting reality in, but with a year to go now of listening to Liam Fox and Rees Mogg with their absurd claptrap and pie in the sky nostrums before serious discussions even begin on trade, it sounds as if either the can will be kicked down the road for 10 years, or the EU will give up and we'll crash out. I assume it's the former. The only way the government can handle the Brexidroids is to let them drone on and on whilst doing nothing until we are forced to sign a 10 year transition and hope some of them die in the meantime.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
We will pay our liabilities. EU citizens in this country (and vice versa) come D-Day will have settled status. NI will have not have a hard border and will have close integration with the EU to ensure the island of Ireland acts as one economic area.

None of this is controversial. The fact some Brexiteers are upset by this (see earlier posts) just shows Brexiteers are unstable and liable to be offended by anything. Wait until we deal with access to the Single Market.

Legally speaking we actually owe the EU nothing in terms of a divorce bill. In fact, the EU actually owes us around 9.3bn currently if we’re sticking tickets the facts. Calling brexiteers unstable because they don’t think the U.K. should pay more than it owes is embarrassing at best. When on earth have I or any others in earlier posts disagreed with the negotiations on the island of Ireland? Lies and stereotypes coming from the remain side once again.
Original post by jameshughes1999
Legally speaking we actually owe the EU nothing in terms of a divorce bill. In fact, the EU actually owes us around 9.3bn currently if we’re sticking tickets the facts. Calling brexiteers unstable because they don’t think the U.K. should pay more than it owes is embarrassing at best. When on earth have I or any others in earlier posts disagreed with the negotiations on the island of Ireland? Lies and stereotypes coming from the remain side once again.

The UK will have a 2-year transitionary period where, for all intents and purposes, it will continue to be a Member State and will receive all the benefits of being a Member State. I am not sure how you could think we do not, legally, owe any money for continued access to services from 2018 to 2020. If we were without those benefits, it is important to remember the EU produced a complex budget from 2014 which we agreed to. It seems difficult to then tell the EU "you have all these liabilities, but we are leaving now and someone else will have to pay them, or you will have to produce a budget on the fly".

Also I said some Brexiteers were upset by the agreement, not the divorce bill. So try to read what is said before going off on a myopic rant.
Ian Duncan-Smith reckons the EU buckled at the last minute and gave in to our super-tough negotiating.

In other news, porcines are now fully prepped for airborne delivery.

maxwell_1.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending