The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey how do you guys revise?

I'm really struggling to as I don't know where to start and they start in a week! :eek: :eek:

Please help me!

:smile:
Reply 21
The best way is to work systematically through the course content which will be included in the prelims and make sure you know it well enough for the exam.

My best tip though is to do as many past paper and past prelim questions as you can get hold of. Many of these questions will either be very similar or the same as the ones you will encounter in the prelim.

Good Luck!
Reply 22
if you go to a scottish uni you can study english and some modules of history or the other way around but chem might not fit...

for revision go through a past paper without any notes and see what questions you CAN do then go back work through the ones you cant with notes and answers until you get them right if you have any clever friends in your class ask them for help with stuff you dont understand its always more fun to study together (its hard to stay revising though) dont get too stressed you get another chance and i find failing the prelims gives me some motivation to work for the real exams!
Reply 23
Mine start in March, due to us moving to a new building in February.
Huzzah...
Reply 24
Prelims are similar to International football friendlies. Sure they can be seen as useful, you get a run out and see what its like, and the manager/teacher can assess the persons performance but at the end of the day they count for nothing.

I personally couldn't give a rats arse because at the end of the day I will rise to the occasion come May.

Mine start tomorrow btw and I've yet to open a book.
I've just had my Advanced Higher Maths prelim (last Thursday) and it wasn't that bad. However, back to the reason for creating this thread, I totally under-achieved in my prelims (apart from Chemistry where I came out second/third top in the class :cool:) and then came out with the grades I needed to get into Aeronautical Engineering - the one and only course I want to get into!! The prelims are really just a wake up call to tell you to pull the finger out in time for May. I ended up doing past papers and plenty of examples, ending up with AAABC in August (wish I'd done some work to get straight A's, but meh :p:).

Start putting in some serious study hours between now and the exams and you'll come out fine. But don't neglect subjects you don't find interesting - I wish I got my B in English!! :frown:
Reply 26
I'm having kittens about maths, pretty confident about everything else, but maths just freaks me out.

Learning formulas and how and when to use them is not my strong point!
ChocolateEyes
Learning formulas and how and when to use them is not my strong point!

Omg me too! And it doesn't help that EVERYTHING has an 'X' and a 'Y' in it, so it's like... ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

:s-smilie:

:p:
Nogueira
Prelims are similar to International football friendlies. Sure they can be seen as useful, you get a run out and see what its like, and the manager/teacher can assess the persons performance but at the end of the day they count for nothing.

I personally couldn't give a rats arse because at the end of the day I will rise to the occasion come May.

Mine start tomorrow btw and I've yet to open a book.

That actually makes me feel so much better! I've only done a little revision and I was really starting to panic! :p:
I agree that prelims aren't worth panicking over but to say that they're worth nothing isn't totally correct if you have a really off day in may the prelim can be used for appeals.
Reply 30
Some of our prelims are NABs. I'd rather pass them now than have to worry about the resits :P Some teachers have even told us if we fail the prelim, we can't continue the course unless they are sure that we're capable. And like The Highlander said, they can be a good safety net if it all goes wrong in May.
I'm not confident about any of them though, English is tomorrow. :frown:
Had my AH Biology prelim today. Walked out of it thinking I did ok but I just had a look at some answers (past paper questions were used) and I've actually lost quite a few marks. On several occasions I scored out the right answer and wrote something else =\

Oh well, I was aiming for a B but a pass will be fine.
Reply 32
Dear Lord, someone give me some tips as to how I'm going to write my charaterisation PS in an hour!
Reply 33
Ugh my prelims start on Monday - English first :frown: I really don't like the essay paper - I can never say everything I want in the time
Reply 34
My english one is on friday!
Reply 35
I'm in the middle of my prelims now, but it's only SG and Int. 2 so it's nothing too important. :smile:

I've had maths, english, spanish, modern studies and drama. Only french, modern studies and economics to go. Woo!

I'm sure the prelims will go fine for you all. Good luck!
Reply 36
Lucky you, hope you do well!

I think it's about this point the true irrelevence of SGs just sunk in at my school. I never worried half this much about my SG prelims but now I'm going mad with worry, especially over maths
Reply 37
I'm so glad I'm not doing English this year - it was so stressful! (Sorry for rubbing it in :biggrin:)
My prelims start this Thurs and I haven't been doing enough work for them :-/
Reply 38
How dare you rub in I have friggin English! :biggrin: lol

Nah, I'm ok with English, apart from my PS:s-smilie:

It's Math that is gonna kill me, gonna be studying all next weekend for that
Reply 39
I have English tomorrow, Maths on wednesday, Human Biology on thurs and Physics on friday and Chemistry a week tomorrow. My school seems to favour the 'mad rush' attempt at the prelims :wink:

I'm getting quite nervous - I wish I could do SG again...

Latest

Trending

Trending