The Student Room Group

Are prelims stupidly useless for university?

I'm applying for university and have done absolutely miserable in my prelims and am in s6.

Do Scottish universities even look at your prelim grades when making an offer, or is it pretty much pointless?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
If you haven't applied then yeah because of predicted grades, but if u have already then they wont see ur grades until results day.
Original post by ABCDEFG32
I'm applying for university and have done absolutely miserable in my prelims and am in s6.

Do Scottish universities even look at your prelim grades when making an offer, or is it pretty much pointless?

Hi @ABCDEFG32 🙂
We'll see the predicted grades that your teachers provide on your UCAS form, so if they're using the prelims as evidence then they may have an impact. Other than that - we don't have direct access to your prelim grades (we automatically receive SQA qualifications but prelims are internal at school).

I'd say it's more likely that universities will be looking at your S5 achievements alongside relevant Nat 5s, as well as your personal statement. If you're not pleased with your prelims then use them as a starting point for the real thing next year - they're not pointless as they give you a good idea of where you need to improve 🤞

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @ABCDEFG32 🙂
We'll see the predicted grades that your teachers provide on your UCAS form, so if they're using the prelims as evidence then they may have an impact. Other than that - we don't have direct access to your prelim grades (we automatically receive SQA qualifications but prelims are internal at school).

I'd say it's more likely that universities will be looking at your S5 achievements alongside relevant Nat 5s, as well as your personal statement. If you're not pleased with your prelims then use them as a starting point for the real thing next year - they're not pointless as they give you a good idea of where you need to improve 🤞

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

I did really bad in N5 and got only 2 A's. But I showed a major improvement in s5 when I got AAABC, along with a number of extra curricular and work experience.

I'm pretty confident in everything other than my prelims, so I guess it's a relief that I won't be judged solely off my prelims.

Thanks for the confirmation. 🙏

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending