The Student Room Group

Pope wants to change Lord's Prayer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MiszShortee786
There's nothing wrong with my profile picture as such. It's how I dress in reality so essentially I'm portraying a visual image.

Islam does not oppress any individual at all. If you haven't experienced Islam how can you put that perspective forward?

So are Muslim females. Take Malala yousofzai as an 'example'.

I think it's universally accepted that Islam is the most oppressive religion.
That's not what I am concerned about in terms of the translation. The reason why there is a translation is because majority of Muslims are not familiar with the Arabic language. Therefore a translation was made.

I am not amalgamating anything. What I am saying is that there is an old testament new testament and what have you. Compared to the Holy Quraan there is only one original copy which cannot be altered in any shape or form.

The Old Testament and New Testament are two texts of the Christian Bible, not translations of each other.
There is only one copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets as well, doesn't make it more or less true.
Original post by Astana

From your perspective. Have you lived as a Muslim to make such accusations? Maybe whats portrayed on the outside is definatley not what occurs on the inside.

Dont judge a book by its cover.
Original post by Trapz99
The Old Testament and New Testament are two texts of the Christian Bible, not translations of each other.
There is only one copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets as well, doesn't make it more or less true.

For Allah's sake I am not talking about the translation of the book. What I am stating is the versions.

There are currently 2 versions of the bible, whereas compared to the Quraan it is only one. This means that the book itself holds vital answers in terms of religions as how can an individual trust a book where it has been altered and modified in any way to suit their own claims?

If you see, the Holy Quraan has never and will be able to modified from its original text. Therefore that brings us to a conclusion that the Holy Quraan itself is not man-made.

Capeesh?
Reply 64
In the scheme of world problems I think a small misreprentation of God is well down the list. Better he focus on the discrimation and criminality in his organisation.
For Allah's sake I am not talking about the translation of the book. What I am stating is the versions.

There are currently 2 versions of the bible, whereas compared to the Quraan it is only one. This means that the book itself holds vital answers in terms of religions as how can an individual trust a book where it has been altered and modified in any way to suit their own claims?

If you see, the Holy Quraan has never and will be able to modified from its original text. Therefore that brings us to a conclusion that the Holy Quraan itself is not man-made.

Capeesh?

If Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets has never been modified from its original text does that bring us to a conclusion that it was not man-made?

Capeesh?

Right... Regarding the Quraan I have a question- why did Allah not make it so that the Prophet could read and write? That seems like it would have been a much more efficient way of getting the message to him...

(Please don't reply by saying that "Only Allah knows" or that He "works in mysterious ways")
(edited 6 years ago)

Capeesh?

What are the two versions of the Bible? If you are talking about the Old and New Testaments, they aren't two versions. They are two books, one telling us about Jesus's life and one about how God created us and about the people of Israel. They aren't two versions, they are two components of the bible.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChallengeLover
Right... Regarding the Quraan I have a question- why did Allah not make it so that the Prophet could read and write? That seems like it would have been a much more efficient way of getting the message to him...

(Please don't reply by saying that "Only Allah knows" or that He "works in mysterious ways":wink:

So that individuals such as I and you, would not be accusing our Beloved Prophet Muhammad(SAW) in compiling the Holy Quraan itself.- As that would then become man-made. The Holy Quraan is a direct word from Allah himself.
That's not what I am concerned about in terms of the translation. The reason why there is a translation is because majority of Muslims are not familiar with the Arabic language. Therefore a translation was made.

I am not amalgamating anything. What I am saying is that there is an old testament new testament and what have you. Compared to the Holy Quraan there is only one original copy which cannot be altered in any shape or form.

You seem to think the New Testament is a new version of the Old Testament. This is not true; they are completely different. There are as many different translations of the Koran as there are of the Bible. Few people speak Arabic, just as few speak Ancient Greek and Aramaic. Hence translations are needed.
The Holy Quraan is a direct word from Allah himself.

If you believe that you'll believe anything. The Koran is what Mohammed wanted his superstitious desert people to believe came from a deity. It obviously did no such thing. It is self-serving nonsense, designed to manipulate the gullible.
Original post by serions871
What are the two versions of the Bible?

The Old Testament and the New Testament in Greek.

:toofunny:

Who told you that?

They aren't two versions of the Bible. They are two components of the Bible. One is about how God created us and about the Israelites and the other is about Jesus. You clearly don't know a thing about Christianity if you don't even know that the Old Testament and New Testament are components rather than different versions of the Bible.
Old Testament + New Testament = Bible
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
If you believe that you'll believe anything. The Koran is what Mohammed wanted his superstitious desert people to believe came from a deity. It obviously did no such thing. It is self-serving nonsense, designed to manipulate the gullible.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I am very conscientious when it comes to knowledge so I dont believe everything. You haven't recited or read the Holy Quraan in its original language which is as you may be aware is in Arabic.

I can say the same thing about the bible(Highlighted in Bold.)
Original post by Ladbants
They aren't two versions of the Bible. They are two components of the Bible. One is about how God created us and about the Israelites and the other is about Jesus. You clearly don't know a thing about Christianity if you don't even know that the Old Testament and New Testament are components rather than different versions of the Bible.
Old Testament + New Testament = Bible

Thank you for that enlightenment.
Original post by Astana

From your perspective. Have you lived as a Muslim to make such accusations? Maybe whats portrayed on the outside is definatley not what occurs on the inside.

Dont judge a book by its cover.

I am currently undertaking much research into Islam, because I am considering reverting to Islam.

Apart from misz, have any of you read the holy text of Islam? It is my understanding so far that the text is not oppressive at all. What many westerners call oppression is oftentimes actually linked to a countries culture, not the religion.
So that individuals such as I and you, would not be accusing our Beloved Prophet Muhammad(SAW) in compiling the Holy Quraan itself.- As that would then become man-made. The Holy Quraan is a direct word from Allah himself.

Makes soo much sense- I don't see how him being able to read and write takes away from anything. He passed it on by word so there is still the possibility that he just came up with it and spread it.

Also... Why do we see contradictions in the Quraan if they are from the infallible Allah?

You'll probably refute these but a little something from my RS homework from last year.

Allah creates the heavens and the earth in six days [7:54]. Many Muslims want to be modern and scientific, and make that six eons, but then again, He creates instantaneously [2:117], "Be! And it is"

Doesn't make sense... Clarify my misunderstanding- is science wrong or is the Quraan wrong? (This is not any sort of attack but rather a question)
Who originally came up with the prayer?
Original post by Good bloke
:toofunny:

Who told you that?

Something known as research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending