The Student Room Group

Kill British Isis fighters, says the defence secretary.

Agree or Disagree?

Im not sure why there has been such uproar about his comments which I find personally were completely fair and justified. I am intrigued as to why people think what he said is so wrong and out of touch?
kill people who are fighting for the opposite side in a war?

Its not exactly a controversial statement. That's what you do in a war.. you kill the other side.

But.

That ends after they stop fighting. If they return to the UK, the only two moral options are refusal of entry, or trial and jail. You cant assassinate/execute people after they have left the war. Even if you presume they are still part of the war, but just back here, then at most they are a prisoner of war and should be kept as such. There are no moral circumstances to kill them back here.
Original post by fallen_acorns
That ends after they stop fighting. If they return to the UK, the only two moral options are refusal of entry, or trial and jail. You cant assassinate/execute people after they have left the war. Even if you presume they are still part of the war, but just back here, then at most they are a prisoner of war and should be kept as such. There are no moral circumstances to kill them back here.

They are far less dangerous over there than they are here. There war starts away from the place where they have been training. You do not presume, you apply common sense. If one flees a country to a well known terrorist training camp, one must assume that they are not coming back with the intention to bake fairy cakes.
Original post by TSRFT8
They are far less dangerous over there than they are here. There war starts away from the place where they have been training. You do not presume, you apply common sense. If one flees a country to a well known terrorist training camp, one must assume that they are not coming back with the intention to bake fairy cakes.

So then don't let them back - its probably the best option for me.

The only good arguement agianst this is using them for their information, e.g. giving them the choice, come back and live a life in a jail (with information), or be deported again..

I never suggested just letting them back in freely though, only a suicidal nation would do that.

you don't need to kill them when they leave the war zone though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Personally I'd extradite them back to the face justice in the countries they were fighting in.
I never suggested just letting them back in freely though, only a suicidal nation would do that.

you don't need to kill them when they leave the war zone though.

Welcome to the United Kingdom.

To your point about jailing them, what is the point? They have one goal and one goal only. I dread to think of how many of these degenerates will be released in the next few years to do exactly what they failed to do last time. Only thing this time is that they have had more time to plan and speak to more like minded people in prison.

It seems that prisons in this country are actually a better "networking" place than a sort of punishment. Embarrassing. Not to mention the cost it has on the tax payer for virtually no benefit.

To your point about no letting them in, do they even come into the country to the conventional border control or are they using illegal means of entrance. I would hope its the latter other wise this country really is a laughing stock.
Original post by TSRFT8
Welcome to the United Kingdom.

To your point about jailing them, what is the point? They have one goal and one goal only. I dread to think of how many of these degenerates will be released in the next few years to do exactly what they failed to do last time. Only thing this time is that they have had more time to plan and speak to more like minded people in prison.

It seems that prisons in this country are actually a better "networking" place than a sort of punishment. Embarrassing. Not to mention the cost it has on the tax payer for virtually no benefit.

To your point about no letting them in, do they even come into the country to the conventional border control or are they using illegal means of entrance. I would hope its the latter other wise this country really is a laughing stock.

As far as I am aware, from the news stories, many do try to return in conventional ways.. although I am sure some do it illigally.

I would jail them, only if it was felt that they had useful intelligence to offer. If the military felt like X individual could give them something useful, let them in, life in jail, no options for release, only to be released on deportation.. would be my poilicy.

If they are not useful, then don't let them in.

I would not kill them though, in the same way that I would not have killed nazi war criminals, or any previous conflicts war criminals.. we kill during fighting, not outside.
Radical Islam was designed by the same people who are attempting to push this legislation through.

Its an attempt to throw followers of Christ into the same bucket as the engineered monster.

''Oh, look at these people which we have made, who interpret the Koran too literally, they fly planes into buildings, honest they do. And look at these other people who really believe in the Bible. They must be just like these ones which we have made. Lets put them both in a bucket together and persecute and kill them to fulfill Bible prophesy. Just so they don't think about flying planes into buildings as well which have been rigged for controlled demolition.''

I would jail them, only if it was felt that they had useful intelligence to offer. If the military felt like X individual could give them something useful, let them in, life in jail, no options for release, only to be released on deportation.. would be my poilicy. .

Although I agree with this, I think this policy can only really work when our justice system undergoes a complete reform. At present however, I dont think a single terrorist who has been caught preparing such acts has received a life sentence. Although it is hardly surprising in a country where killing someone using your car lands you 3 years.
I think he's right. We need to remove them before they cross the border into Europe, because once they do we are screwed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending