The Student Room Group

Islamist protesters lead anti-Jewish chants at US embassy

In protest against the Trump administration's decision to move the US embassy to Jerusalem (a decision with which I fundamentally disagree), there was predictably a protest outside the US embassy.

And predictably, the chants were not merely against Israel. They started chanting about how Jews should remember the 7th century Battle of Khaybar.

https://twitter.com/hurryupharry/status/939253702497628161

The Battle of Khaybar was a battle in which Mohammed attacked the Jews who had lived for many hundreds of years at the peaceful oasis there, tending their flocks and weaving cloaks of fine cloth for sale at various markets and to passing caravans.

The army of Mohammed attacked and slaughtered many of that Jewish tribe, and then when they beat them, they "generously" allowed them to stay on condition they pay a tax of 50% of their income as a tribute. This was the first jizya.

A few years later the Jews were expelled from the oasis, and like all the other Arabian Jews, driven out of Arabia.

It seems that no other protesters tried to stop these people doing this chant or intervened in any way. In fairness, I might not intervene; they look scary and might try to behead me.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexanderHam
In protest against the Trump administration's decision to move the US embassy to Jerusalem (a decision with which I fundamentally disagree), there was predictably a protest outside the US embassy.

And predictably, the chants were not merely against Israel. They started chanting about how Jews should remember the 7th century Battle of Khaybar.

https://twitter.com/hurryupharry/status/939253702497628161

The Battle of Khaybar was a battle in which Mohammed attacked the Jews who had lived for many hundreds of years at the peaceful oasis there, tending their flocks and weaving cloaks of fine cloth for sale at various markets and to passing caravans.

The army of Mohammed attacked and slaughtered many of that Jewish tribe, and then when they beat them, they "generously" allowed them to stay on condition they pay a tax of 50% of their income as a tribute. This was the first jizya.

A few years later the Jews were expelled from the oasis, and like all the other Arabian Jews, driven out of Arabia.

It seems that no other protesters tried to stop these people doing this chant or intervened in any way. In fairness, I might not intervene; they look scary and might try to behead me.

Behead you? I think that's a bit of an overreaction... They are just citizens who are angry and venting that anger, aside from the reminder of that battle which isn't really an appropriate thing to chant, they're protesting peacefully by the looks of it.
Reply 2
Its just a chant, who cares?
I mean if they started trying to replicate said battle thats a different matter.
Reply 3
Let me just get this straight- you care more about one or two Muslims in London shouting something rude about Jewish people than the occupation of Jerusalem and Palestine by the Israelis?
Original post by desaf1
Let me just get this straight- you care more about one or two Muslims in London shouting something rude about Jewish people than the occupation of Jerusalem and Palestine by the Israelis?

Priorities.
PJW did a video on trumps speech it was funny, clips of Clinton, bush and Obama saying the same thing and the senate voting for this in the summer.
Reply 6
Original post by paul514
PJW did a video on trumps speech it was funny, clips of Clinton, bush and Obama saying the same thing and the senate voting for this in the summer.

PJW is an absolute idiot
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Behead you? I think that's a bit of an overreaction...

Chill, it's a joke.

They are just citizens who are angry and venting that anger

When I'm angry or frustrated, I don't suddenly start saying racist things. It's clear that these are views they already hold. In fact the chant of "Khaybar, khaybar, al yahud" is one that regularly gets pulled out at anti-Israel protests.
Original post by desaf1

First-class bit of whataboutery there.

So disagreeing with Israeli policy means you have to turn a blind eye to anti-semitism? Nice, very nice.
Original post by Napp
Its just a chant, who cares?

Well, people who care about anti-semitism. That's obviously not you.

I mean if they started trying to replicate said battle thats a different matter.

Haven't you been paying attention? Islamists have repeatedly attempted to murder (and succeeded in murdering) Jewish people.
Seems that you're trying to use the example of one or two extremists at a protest to try and slander anyone who opposes Israel's occupation of Palestine. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think anyone cares what a bunch of extremists in London think about Jews. What matters more is what Israel is doing in Palestine.
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
What's the bet that most of the people on here saying "No big deal" would be shrieking about Islamophobia if there had been an anti-Islam chant at a protest?
Original post by akbar0123
Seems that you're trying to use the example of one or two extremists at a protest to try and slander anyone who opposes Israel's occupation of Palestine.

Err, nope. I oppose Israel's presence in the West Bank and the settlement (can't really say they occupy Palestine though... they don't occupy Gaza).

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think anyone cares what a bunch of extremists in London think about Jews. What matters more is what Israel is doing in Palestine.

Pure whataboutery, as if people can't be concerned about more than one issue at a time.

This sort of chant is how extremism starts. It's the first step in a journey that ends here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Arena_bombing

But who cares about the murder of our fellow citizens, right?

Hilarious to see all the excuses being made by people who would be shrieking and wailing if it was an anti-Islam chant. Hypocrisy at its finest.
(edited 6 years ago)
Chill, it's a joke.

When I'm angry or frustrated, I don't suddenly start saying racist things. It's clear that these are views they already hold. In fact the chant of "Khaybar, khaybar, al yahud" is one that regularly gets pulled out at anti-Israel protests.

Chanting reminders about an attack in which Jewish civilians were killed is is insensitive and I think that it's provoking and could possibly be interpreted as threatening but racism? No.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Trump stirs up hatred wherever he goes.

He stirred up hatred against Mexicans to get elected. He stirred up hatred against North Korea. And now he is stirring up hatred against Jews.

So, it's Trump's fault that people are anti-semitic? No personal responsibility?

As I said, I disagree with this decision but claiming that Trump forced these people to be racist douches is laughable.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Chanting reminders about a war in which Jewish civilians were killed is is insensitive and I can think that it's provoking and could possibly be interpreted as threatening but racism? No.

How is it not racist to engage in a violent chant against a particular ethnic group?
How is it not racist to engage in a violent chant against a particular ethnic group?

Because the chant itself isn't racial in nature, it's about an attack which occurred on a certain group of people some 1300 years ago. Like if an American said to a Japanese person "Remember what happened in Nagasaki". It's insensitive and potentially threatening language but not racism.
Reply 18
What's the bet that most of the people on here saying "No big deal" would be shrieking about Islamophobia if there had been an anti-Islam chant at a protest?

Personally I couldn't care less what a bunch of Islamophobes say about Muslims at a protest
Reply 19
First-class bit of whataboutery there.

So disagreeing with Israeli policy means you have to turn a blind eye to anti-semitism? Nice, very nice.

No. I'm just interested in why you think one or two people a protest saying rude things about Jews is in any way significant when the occupation of Palestine is far more significant and far more damaging.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending