The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Questiona about mature students at Oxford Brookes

Hi,
I have a few questions I hope some Oxford Brookes students can answer for me. Most are about mature student type stuff, as I'm an oldie of 30.

Are there alot of mature students at OB, rough % guess.
Do all the mature students live at Crescent, and is Crescent near the Built Environment buildings.
Any chance of some mature students posting their experiences.
Anyone studying any of the Built Environment degrees, how are you finding it.
Anyone want to post anything they think is relevant.

As you may of guessed :biggrin: I am concerned about fitting in at OB even though I've been told by friends who are currently at university that age is not an issue.

Cheers.
Reply 1
lylsbl
Hi,
I have a few questions I hope some Oxford Brookes students can answer for me. Most are about mature student type stuff, as I'm an oldie of 30.

Are there alot of mature students at OB, rough % guess.
Do all the mature students live at Crescent, and is Crescent near the Built Environment buildings.
Any chance of some mature students posting their experiences.
Anyone studying any of the Built Environment degrees, how are you finding it.
Anyone want to post anything they think is relevant.

As you may of guessed :biggrin: I am concerned about fitting in at OB even though I've been told by friends who are currently at university that age is not an issue.

Cheers.

Mature students tend to live together so I don't really know how many there are... you do see a few... but not a massive amount.
Built Environment? Hmm, if I'm correct my housemate who is studying City and Regional Planning did a module in that... and he has all his lectures in the main Gipsy Lane campus... which is a short bus run (free bus pass with halls) away from Crescent or a 30 odd minute walk... something like that.

Last year we had someone here asking about mature students... try looking through some of the threads here and you should find it. You'll probably get a better idea from there.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Age is no big deal here at all. If you do not be social though, it can be a big deal. You need to be social. Plus i know a lot of the younger kids who are only coming to uni for the first time wanna be out partying and what not.

Most of the mature people live in L block and around at crescent because it is a lot quieter than the other blocks.

I have never had a problem with noise at all here, infact it can be too quiet sometimes. Once your window is closed and your room door, you cannot hear anything.

If your in the top flats its ideal, i know the girl below me though was annoyed about noise from my music sometimes.
Reply 3
adrian_nicholl
Age is no big deal here at all. If you do not be social though, it can be a big deal. You need to be social.

This is a key issue for a number of reasons. Results from an independent study I undertook, interviewing mature students found a high rate of dissatisfaction with their treatment at Brookes. The evidence showed an underlying and often unacknowledged expectation by younger students for them to lead the way and carry the extra groupwork, with staff conceding extra responsibilities upon their doorstep. The particularly sad truth is that you must walk a tightrope between keeping your distance from younger students enough to interact with them in academic surroundings. You must also be sociable enough so that it can be a mutually beneficial exchange, and a pleasant experience for all concerned. A great deal of young Brookes students can be sociable (in the pleasing sense), but many are just not clued in to how much they effect marginalisation.

Latest

Trending

Trending