The Student Room Group

why don't we apply after we get our grades?

not meaning to be controversial in any way, but wouldn't it speed up this process quickr and make it easier if we applied to uni after we got our results in august?

then uni's wouldn't have to offer on what they 'think we can get' , we wouldn't run the risk of not getting the grades, and we wouldn't need an insurance choice.

maybe it would cut down on the number of people's applications crowding uni's as well

then it would all be certain and fine and dandy

maybe?:smile:
Reply 1
yes it would be so much better! It would also prevent stupid teachers with unpredictable and unstable personalities ruining your life *grumbles*.

yes I may mention this in every thread for a while.
Reply 2
It would be easier, but then again, would that leave much time for accepting everyone in time for September?
Reply 3
It would be useful, but unless the exams were marked in a shorter space of time, we would have a long wait between results day and starting uni.
Reply 4
vixky!
yes it would be so much better! It would also prevent stupid teachers with unpredictable and unstable personalities ruining your life *grumbles*.

yes I may mention this in every thread for a while.

haha good idea! and then we could have spent september partying....:smile:
I wouldn't exactly leave a lot of time for the universities to decide who to accept but it would be a lot better than the system now of AS and predicted grades.
Reply 6
Titch89
It would be easier, but then again, would that leave much time for accepting everyone in time for September?

o it wouldn't, that's the problem...but if everyones grades etc are certain, then it will be quicker than it is now! or we all just start in january instead...:smile:
Reply 7
It'd be no fun for me who already has his grades, and you'd have no help from college then to fill out the form in August.
Reply 8
Don't think it would work! The sudden barrage of hundreds of thousands of students with applications to be sorted within a month would, I believe, be next to impossible IF you imposed the month or so deadline!

Most unis are slow enough as it is!!
Reply 9
it wuldnt be better at all in my view..
just because i now have something i have to get, rather then something i could possibly get, and if i dont, then im okay, because ill just apply to a lower uni.
i think knowing i HAVE to attain AAA, that im more likely to try and get AAA.
it creates a pressure i need!
no one else agree?
Reply 10
Placeborain
just because i now have something i have to get, rather then something i could possibly get, and if i dont, then im okay, because ill just apply to a lower uni.
no one else agree?

This is a good point.
Gives people more of an incentive to achieve what they can rather than what they will.
Reply 12
The system is a bit faulty yes, and it does allow many very good applicants to fall through the net each year, but there just wouldn't be time to get everyone into university after you have the grades. Also, people like to have some choice and it leaves the year open for students to go and view their five uni's and courses. Also if you have chosen somewhere as your firm choice now as in you really want to go there then they are more likely to let you in if you slip a bit, than just some student running around in August trying to find a place somewhere. So although it would be nice, and it would take off a lot of pressure, unfortunately I don't think it would work
Reply 13
Placeborain
no one else agree?

not everyone needs a motivation of this sort to succeed. and what if you dont get AAA? THen what?
then i go through clearing.
and im not going to fail at geting AAA
the whole point is to attain it, if you dont, its your fault.
i feel having pressure gives me something to aim for you know?
i'm gonna apply when i get my grades, only cos my predicted grades wern't good enough, everything alse was fine though, and without those predictions i woudn't have had a single chance...so *fingers crossed* i get my grades this august then i'll apply, but i'll end up having a gap year...which i didn't really want, but that's the only way i can get to y course now

:p:
There are many disadvantages to the application process starting after results are published:

1. Not enough time for the universities to process the applications
2. The rush would probably increase the number of errors
3. Not enough time for applicants to visit universities and have interviews (in addition to 1 above)
4. Applicants with re-marks and appeals will have tremendous problems
5. Schools will need to be working much harder than they do now in August to support th process
6. The process would really mess up September for schools, which is already a difficult time for them
7. Messed up holidays for academics and applicants alike
Reply 17
it is so in another countries.

Latest

Trending

Trending