The Student Room Group

UCLAN Dentistry 2024 Entry

Welcome to the UCLAN Dentistry 2024 Entry discussion thread.

Useful links:

The “Which dental school should I apply to?” Thread: The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread - The Student Room

TSR Dentistry Wiki: Dentistry - The Student Room

Dentistry Undergraduate Entry Requirements: Dentistry Entry Requirements | The Student Room

Dentistry Graduate Entry Requirements: Graduate entry requirements for dentistry | The Student Room

Pre-dentistry/ Gateway Entry Requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dental-courses

General TSR Rules:

Do not ask for or post group chat links.

Do not ask for or post interview questions.

Do not offer to buy or sell items, including the promotion of dentistry courses.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have they let us know how the UKAT will be used for ranking or even its weighting?
Original post by Dent.H
Have they let us know how the UKAT will be used for ranking or even its weighting?

I was wondering this too, on the website it says it'll be used to rank applicants before interview but i don't know if it's in collaboration with ps, academics or anything I'm hoping there's no cut off too since it's the first year they should be more generous I'm not sure a lot of people will apply
Original post by applesandalevels
I was wondering this too, on the website it says it'll be used to rank applicants before interview but i don't know if it's in collaboration with ps, academics or anything I'm hoping there's no cut off too since it's the first year they should be more generous I'm not sure a lot of people will apply

Hi I think they will give interviews based on the ucat ranking score.
Original post by Dent.H

Hi there @Dent.H,

The UCAT score will be used to determine who gets an interview from the applications we receive.

The selection process is:

-Academic grades (available on website)
-UCAT (Top scoring candidates invited for MMI)
-MMI
-Offer based on MMI score

Each stage is a hurdle so there is no weighting. We do re-check academic grades are achieved for any candidate that has predicted grades.

I hope this helps,
Sarah
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hi there @Dent.H,

The UCAT score will be used to determine who gets an interview from the applications we receive.

-MMI

Each stage is a hurdle so there is no weighting. We do re-check academic grades are achieved for any candidate that has predicted grades.

I hope this helps,
Sarah

Hi

Is it just the 4 sections of UCAT and/or SJT banding that we’re rank on
Reply 6
Hi there @Dent.H,

-MMI

I hope this helps,
Sarah

Hi,

So they don't take in to consideration the personal statement anymore?
Original post by Dent.H
Hi,

So they don't take in to consideration the personal statement anymore?

this is what the bds uclan website says, i think the three categories are what is scored for ps

Applicants must hold a good honours degree (1st or 2:1) in a medical science or health related degree from a UK university. The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree is a five year programme in the UK.

Applicants to our four year graduate entry pathway must demonstrate that their prior formal qualifications have covered relevant biomedical subjects. This will allow for direct entry into year 2.

All applicants will be required to complete a Verification of Prior Learning document.

Once academic requirements have been checked, we will carefully consider all aspects of the remaining application and score your form objectively, based upon three categories:

Practical experience and knowledge of career implications
Knowledge of core qualities required of a dentist and candidates’ personal qualities relating to this including team work
Practical skills
The highest scoring applicants will be invited to attend an interview.

All applicants for 2024 entry onwards are required to sit the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) before you apply. Your UCAT score will be utilised to rank your application prior to interview.
Reply 8
this is what the bds uclan website says, i think the three categories are what is scored for ps

Applicants must hold a good honours degree (1st or 2:1) in a medical science or health related degree from a UK university. The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree is a five year programme in the UK.

Applicants to our four year graduate entry pathway must demonstrate that their prior formal qualifications have covered relevant biomedical subjects. This will allow for direct entry into year 2.

All applicants will be required to complete a Verification of Prior Learning document.

Once academic requirements have been checked, we will carefully consider all aspects of the remaining application and score your form objectively, based upon three categories:

Practical experience and knowledge of career implications
Knowledge of core qualities required of a dentist and candidates’ personal qualities relating to this including team work
Practical skills
The highest scoring applicants will be invited to attend an interview.

All applicants for 2024 entry onwards are required to sit the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) before you apply. Your UCAT score will be utilised to rank your application prior to interview.

ah so its probs in combination it kinda sounds like. which i dont mind tbh.
Original post by Dent.H
ah so its probs in combination it kinda sounds like. which i dont mind tbh.

ye but i dont know if it's weighted or just checking you have it...the requirements this year are really unclear!
Hi, does uclan take gcse's/Alevels into consideration if you're applying as a graduate?

Hi there @Dent.H,

-MMI

I hope this helps,
Sarah
Original post by cakePOP1122
Hi, does uclan take gcse's/Alevels into consideration if you're applying as a graduate?

https://www.uclan.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/dental-surgery-bds

everything you needs there!
Original post by cakePOP1122

Hi there @cakePOP1122, :smile:

Yes we do, here are the entry requirements for our BDS Dental Surgery course:

- 2:1 Degree in a Biomedical discipline
- 3 A Levels at Grade C or above at least 2 must be from Biology or Physics or Chemistry or Mathematics. General Studies is not counted towards A Level entry
- GCSEs: English and Maths at Grade B
- An academic reference
- A satisfactory Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland) and Occupational Health clearance are required for this course

You can see the full entry requirements for this course here.

Best wishes,
Sarah

- 3 A Levels at Grade C or above at least 2 must be from Biology or Physics or Chemistry or Mathematics. General Studies is not counted towards A Level entry
- An academic reference
- A satisfactory Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland) and Occupational Health clearance are required for this course

Best wishes,
Sarah

Hi!

Do you have any idea how UCAT will be used , I know what the website says is it’ll be utilised but in what sense? is there a percentage break down or a score associated. also what’s the breakdown of scoring across all the components of the application for interview
Hi!

Do you have any idea how UCAT will be used , I know what the website says is it’ll be utilised but in what sense? is there a percentage break down or a score associated. also what’s the breakdown of scoring across all the components of the application for interview

Hi @applesandalevels thanks for getting in touch with us on this :smile:

Please could I just double check it's our BDS Dental Surgery 5 year course you're interested in, and not our 18 month BDS International entry route?

If it's our 5 year programme, I'm afraid we don't have a percentage break down in the social media team, so your best bet would be to email our Admissions Team to query this and they should be able to give you a bit more guidance: [email protected]

Applications for this course must be made by 16 October 2023 which is the UCAS deadline date. Hope this helps a little and best wishes ^ Daisy

- An academic reference

Best wishes,
Sarah

What are the requirements for a Scottish graduate?
i think it’s the same what’ve the a level equivalent is i think that’s AH my friend applied who’s scottish and i think they went off of that the website says so long as you’ve done 2 subjects at AHs you should be fine (from what she told me im not scottish but think if you done a subject at AH you must’ve done it at highers? so even if they look at highers you would be fine i think since there’s a grad requirement to take it to AH)

“plus 3 A Levels at Grade C or above at least 2 must be from Biology or Physics or Chemistry or Mathematics”

email admissions they’ll help clear anything up
Hi guys, for the verification of prior learning document, how much are we expected to write, as I don't want to waffle.
Original post by Sophiank123
Hi guys, for the verification of prior learning document, how much are we expected to write, as I don't want to waffle.

I assume it's just the one module for each question/section if a uclan ambassador can confirm that would be great
Oh right okay, just confused as it asks to explain the physiological function of the cardiovascular systems, so was stuck as to whether we have to write about it or just give the module name.
But would be great if a UCLAN ambassador could help with this. :smile:
I assume it's just the one module for each question/section if a uclan ambassador can confirm that would be great

Quick Reply

Latest