The Student Room Group

Predicted grades and uni applications

Hello
If my predicted grades are below the entry requirements should i still apply to these unis as in do they consider my personal statement of solely dependent on my predictions?
My school gives low predicted grades and im kinda concerned this will affect me. Any advice from uni sts or student who already applied?
In my case im predicted AAB for an A*AA course but i know i have the potential and am capable to get higher than what im predicted (i just stressed out and flopped my mocks).
Would unis look at my application?
Reply 1
I really hate to be the one to tell you but if you don't meet the grade requirements then they won't even read your personal statement. The ps is to distinguish between students who meet the entry requirements and so the admissions team can make a decision based on what they wrote.

Here's the best advice I can give you as a second year uni student who understands the application process quite well:

1. Speak to your teachers and explain to them your situation. My school allowed us to have ours changed if you can prove yourself. You also have lots of time before uni applications next year so when you get into year 13 revise very hard for the topic tests and prove you're an A* student (do some light reading over summer).
2. If you think you'll get better than your predicted then wait for results day, try applying through clearing, if you can't find anything then take a gap year and apply for courses you know you qualify for.
3. Call the university and see if they can get you a lowered offer. They probably won't, but you never know unless you ask. You may be eligible for a contextual offer if your school is in a terrible area or has a bad rep.
4. Wing it and try. This is 99% likely to fail as admissions is pretty rigid and you're competing with people who not only have the needed grades but also better.
Reply 2
Original post by ziggy03
I really hate to be the one to tell you but if you don't meet the grade requirements then they won't even read your personal statement. The ps is to distinguish between students who meet the entry requirements and so the admissions team can make a decision based on what they wrote.

Here's the best advice I can give you as a second year uni student who understands the application process quite well:

1. Speak to your teachers and explain to them your situation. My school allowed us to have ours changed if you can prove yourself. You also have lots of time before uni applications next year so when you get into year 13 revise very hard for the topic tests and prove you're an A* student (do some light reading over summer).
2. If you think you'll get better than your predicted then wait for results day, try applying through clearing, if you can't find anything then take a gap year and apply for courses you know you qualify for.
3. Call the university and see if they can get you a lowered offer. They probably won't, but you never know unless you ask. You may be eligible for a contextual offer if your school is in a terrible area or has a bad rep.
4. Wing it and try. This is 99% likely to fail as admissions is pretty rigid and you're competing with people who not only have the needed grades but also better.

Thanks for advice!
Contrary to the above, it's usually recommended to apply to at least 1 if not 2 courses slightly above your predictions, (exception: super competitive stuff like medicine). Many unis make aspirational offers.

If you worried, you can always apply to 3/4 unis, wait and see if you get any offers, then use your remaining choices by the Jan deadline knowing whether they need to be safe or if you can afford to be risky.
Original post by Jocelynandres
Thanks for advice!

Not all advice is good...
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Not all advice is good...

I'm speaking based on my life experiences adn the life experiences of peoeple I attended sixth form. I was told by multiple admissions teams that due to high course demand, my grades were simply not good enough and I could apply if I wanted but that wouldn't make a difference. This was with one missing grade. Just one. And it wasn't even for a top Russell group. The only unis asking for A* are top unis or medicine which is also a lost cause because that's non negotiable.

Instead of giving people false expecations of what happens in these situations, I'd rather give them advice to create a situation where they would be accepted to their dream uni.
Original post by ziggy03
I'm speaking based on my life experiences adn the life experiences of peoeple I attended sixth form. I was told by multiple admissions teams that due to high course demand, my grades were simply not good enough and I could apply if I wanted but that wouldn't make a difference. This was with one missing grade. Just one. And it wasn't even for a top Russell group. The only unis asking for A* are top unis or medicine which is also a lost cause because that's non negotiable.

Instead of giving people false expecations of what happens in these situations, I'd rather give them advice to create a situation where they would be accepted to their dream uni.

All well and good, but your advice in places was demonstrably false. "...If you don't meet the grade requirements then they won't even read your personal statement" is nonsense. @Admit-One works in university admissions and has given advice based on the true picture.

You might also want to consider the information in this thread regarding the importance (or not) of personal statements:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7364789

In addition, you don't ring up unis and ask for a contextual offer. If you are eligible for one then that's the offer you will get.
Hello
If my predicted grades are below the entry requirements should i still apply to these unis as in do they consider my personal statement of solely dependent on my predictions?

I've seen from your other posts that you are considering architecture. For the majority of unis, your portfolio will play a significant part in the application process.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
All well and good, but your advice in places was demonstrably false. "...If you don't meet the grade requirements then they won't even read your personal statement" is nonsense. @Admit-One works in university admissions and has given advice based on the true picture.

You might also want to consider the information in this thread regarding the importance (or not) of personal statements:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7364789

In addition, you don't ring up unis and ask for a contextual offer. If you are eligible for one then that's the offer you will get.

I was simply suggesting calling someone in the know and askign if they're going to qualify for a contexual offer.

Unless I have been lied to, which I most certainly doubt, then perhaps offer an explanation as to why 4 seperate admissions team members informed me that a personal statement wouldn't be read if you didn't meet grade standards. Just because one person works in one admissions department at a specific university it does not mean all universities operate to the same standard.

For certain universties, yes you are probably correct, but don't try to argue with me that elite UK universities (or otherwise highly sought after universities) that receive tens of thousands of applicants annually are going to accept you with two grades lower than what they're asking for and might give you a place based on your aspiration. How do I know?

I appreciate you trying to dispel false information but there isn't really any need to deny actual events that have occured to myself and many others.
Original post by ziggy03
I was simply suggesting calling someone in the know and askign if they're going to qualify for a contexual offer.

Unless I have been lied to, which I most certainly doubt, then perhaps offer an explanation as to why 4 seperate admissions team members informed me that a personal statement wouldn't be read if you didn't meet grade standards. Just because one person works in one admissions department at a specific university it does not mean all universities operate to the same standard.

For certain universties, yes you are probably correct, but don't try to argue with me that elite UK universities (or otherwise highly sought after universities) that receive tens of thousands of applicants annually are going to accept you with two grades lower than what they're asking for and might give you a place based on your aspiration. How do I know?

I appreciate you trying to dispel false information but there isn't really any need to deny actual events that have occured to myself and many others.

The point being made is that many top unis do make aspirational offers and other than now knowing the course we don't have enough info to say categorically that they'll be disregarded at the first stage, (referencing the first sentence of your first reply). Of course every course is different which is why you may have heard otherwise if you enquired elsewhere.

I'd wager that my uni would be top ten in most people's lists and we make aspirational offers to at least two thirds of our courses. But if you'd asked about headline programmes we would have told you the same as the guidance you received.
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
The point being made is that many top unis do make aspirational offers and other than now knowing the course we don't have enough info to say categorically that they'll be disregarded at the first stage, (referencing the first sentence of your first reply). Of course every course is different which is why you may have heard otherwise if you enquired elsewhere.

I'd wager that my uni would be top ten in most people's lists and we make aspirational offers to at least two thirds of our courses. But if you'd asked about headline programmes we would have told you the same as the guidance you received.

This is a fair response. I suppose I am talking about my experience from university for my course, Biochemistry.
Reply 11
Original post by ziggy03
I really hate to be the one to tell you but if you don't meet the grade requirements then they won't even read your personal statement.

Total nonsense.

Most Unis will make some 'aspirational' offers to applicants with predicted grades just below the entry requirements, depending on the competitiveness of the individual course.
Reply 12
Hello

The usual advice for your 5 UCAS choices is :

1 or 2 just above your predicted grades - 1 grade, and not in a critical subject. Risky - you may not get offers.
2 or 3 at your predicted grades - you are most likely to get offers from these choices.
1 choice a few grades below your predicted grades - Insurance choice in case you mess up next August.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all carefully - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending