The Student Room Group

Summer Job Guide for Students (and everyone)!

Scroll to see replies

Smile, make lots of eye contact.
Have examples of things like 'good customer service' and when you 'dealt with difficult customers' ready.
I have an assessment for Lego land Windsor resort. Has anyone done this before and can tell me what to expect?
Had my first interview which was for Aldi, went awful tbh

I was so nervous and stuttered a bit answering questions, and when he said do I have any questions I couldn't think of any (should of said how many hours etc :/)
oh well, least I know what to expect now.
I got a temp job at NEXT , but its only for like 3 days:/
Consider Internavenue.com: the ultimate hub for Internships!

Easy to register and apply
Advice on your profile and preparing for interviews
Paid internships only
Reply 325
Hi guys,

How old of a job advert should I apply for?

A month? More / less?
Original post by La Trampa
Just because I've seen so many threads about the same thing - people wanting to find a summer job (and not searching for previous topics).

It's that time when every student and everyone begins to wonder how they're going to use up their long summer holiday. So if you're not marching around in mud at festivals, jet hopping around the world on holiday or just spending your time lounging around getting a tan, here a few tips on what you should be doing to prepare yourself for those long summer months and how to get a summer job...

Start deciding what you want to do NOW. Employers anticipate summer - bigger sales,more people,a chance to make money; so they're going to start recruiting early, as early as April. Depending on the job, you can expect to see job application deadlines as early as February or some in the middle of May so you need to know what you want.

Start applying. It's never too early to make applications. Brush up your CV, update it and start sending it out to employers.The earlier you apply the more consideration can be given to your CV, the more organised you'll look and the more likely you're going to get a job.

Common summer jobs for students -

Summer Schools/Camps

This I feel should be the top rated activity/job for the summer. Not only is it fun - you get to work indoors and outdoors, you get to play with kids, you get to make new friends and best of all you're getting paid for having a laugh! What else could you ask for? There are both day camps and residential summer schools/camps to choose from and why should you need to go abroad to do this when nearly every school in your area is probably organising one every year. It might seem like fun but it can be hard work but really you don't think of it as such since you're having so much fun. It's great experience and it looks good on your CV. The best part is, you're almost guaranteed a spot the following year if they felt you were good and some camps occur every holiday i.e. easter, xmas etc. Applications appear from the beginning of December and can stretch to February or May depending on the company. It always helps to search university career sites or the company site to be sure. You'll need a CRB check done on you which more often than not,the company will get sorted for you. Just to make sure you can work kids etc. A few links to some well known summer school organisers in the UK...

Twin UK I got £200/week last year.

XKeys

Super Camps

Kids Klub

Acorn Adventures

Barracudas

Camp Beaumont

Active Sport

PGL From another thread I've gathered the pay is about £85/week including accommodation and food.

Festivals!

Who doesn't love their festivals?! Wouldn't it be the best job if you worked at one? Imagine free music, you get to see the celebrities, enjoy the music, have fun, get paid etc etc. If this sounds like your kind of thing, why don't you check it out? Look online on the popular student recruitment site Just Jobs 4 Students as they advertise for festival workers. Another idea would be to apply to event staff agencies that send their staff for festival jobs. A few sites to help your search...

Promostar Promotions work. I can personally vouch for them.

Stuck for Staff Promotions work for experienced promoters. You pay £15 for a 6 month subscription.

Event Staffing Promotions works especially for festivals etc.

Office Work!

It might not be your cup of tea but some people like the security and stability of an office job. If this is for you, the best bet for the summer would be a temporary office job (there's always the possibility of it being a permanent one if you like it enough, do your job well and the company want to keep you). The easiest and best way to get office work in the summer is to go through an agency. You could apply now or you can apply later, but obviously the more time and agency has to know you, send you off on different assignments and get feedback, the more likely you're going to get a better job than say if they don't know you. That doesn't mean you can't find jobs by yourself by looking online or through your local newspaper, but it just takes the stress out as the agency do it all for you and find a job that best suites your needs and wants. Instead of typing up a whole list, I'll post a link to a compilation I've already made here on TSR that's easy on the eyes. Remember pester the agencies so they know you exist!

Compilation Post of Recruitment Agencies

Jobs Abroad - Holiday Reps/Bar work etc

Why do the same boring job when you can do it abroad, have fun and get a tan at the same time :wink: An increasingly popular job for students especially is either bar work or holiday repping work abroad. Apart from adding another stamp to your passport, you get to embrace a new country (helps if you speak the lingo, but most tourists will speak English anyways), have fun and see all the good sites. Holiday repping can be hard work but you do make friends for life and have fun at the same time, and if this is the kind of thing you enjoy, go for it! You'll normally find adverts for this kind of job on the Just Jobs 4 Students or Hot Recruit website. A simple google search or a look on your university's careers website might help as well. Just be wary of any scams e.g. asking for your money etc.

Manual Work at Home or Abroad

Some people might want to do some manual labour if they live in the countryside or just for the sake of doing it. If you know you're not built for this kind of work, don't do it. If you want to do it, ask around locally, check online, in newspapers on university career websites etc. I remember last year seeing an advert for strawberry picking in France, you get to travel, camp, earn money and pick strawberries! That would have been fun. There's no limit to what you can do.

Retail & Leisure Jobs

Most people go down this route, retail work does seem alluring and simple but it can be quite hard, and sometimes not worth the money. The best advice for retail jobs would be to apply early. You should start seeing adverts for your favourite stores from late April/early May time, some shops recruit earlier so they can train staff. As soon as you see signs (and keep your eyes open for them!),start applying! The earlier you get your CV in and pester them, the more of a chance you have. Always hand in your CV to the manager directly and look good/confident as first impressions count. Get the store telephone number and ring them every few days to see if they're having any interviews or going to offer you one or looked through your CV. Eventually they'll look at it just to get you to stop bothering them. Remember apply to as many shops as you can, 5 applications isn't enough,10 isn't good either! We live in a consumerist (does that exist?! :p:) world, so there are loads of stores!

Leisure jobs are nice jobs to have. You can either work full time in whatever company you want or you can be flexible. These sort of jobs can pay well so basically just ask around locally and it should be easy to go from there.

Internships

This would mainly be for university students who are looking for experience in their chosen field or course. First, internships are HARD to obtain and COMPETITIVE. You have to apply as soon as you discover the opening because there are loads of students and non-students looking for that edge and an internship is the best way forward for them. Most internships tend to be unpaid but they are invaluable. So make sure you apply as soon as you can (most application deadline are around March but this is obviously dependent on the company). A good resource for finding internships are university careers websites, the company's website and course/field related websites.

Miscellanous

These include supermarkets, hospitality etc. These don't normally have deadlines and will always be looking for summer workers. It might not be the best of jobs or what you're looking for but it brings home the cash cow and at the end of the day, that's what you really want. Again this compilation list will give an idea of websites you can use to search for jobs.

Hopefully this will help people find what they're looking for a bit easier.If anyone has any more info they'd like me to add or any questions, feel free to ask.

Updated: 17/02/2008

Guide is fantastic but but but OP your profile picture is awful. sorry
Does anyone know more info about these companies TC World, DA languages, Kleeneze
Had an interview on Friday for Empire cinemas, they said I should know by the 7th so fingers crossed! It was my first interview so I was quite nervous.
I've also applied to a load of other jobs, all of which I was unsuccessful for. Only one company had the decency to reply to me.
Really hoping I can get some experience soon.
Hiya. If you want to make a bit of extra money on the side then please PM me. Looking for motivated people to be a part of my team promoting make up products

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi does anyone work for superdrug, if so how much do 16 year olds get payed and what questions are asked on the telephone interview? Thankyou:smile:
Reply 331
Original post by ameelia22
Xuk Seems to be getting a lot of attention on here. Can someone do me a favour, and personally vouch for something like this?

So strange- I was just looking at their website and thought I would do a search to see what people think. How strange! Thanks for posting though :smile: (I know it was a while ago)
Reply 332
Anyone know what the Barracudas selection days are like?? :smile:
Can somebody help, I wanted to know how the Excel 2010 basic test works, like is it just a multiple choice question or do I have to practically work on the spreadsheet?? Please help somebody I have no idea.
Reply 334
People who have had summer jobs in the past (preferably ones in this country, i.e not like a summer camp or anything like that) when have you started looking? Do companies specifically advertise 'summer vacancies' or 'summer temps' like they would for Christmas? Sorry for the naive questions but it's my first year looking for summer work and I've found some vacancies but not sure whether to apply for them as they might want me to start before my uni year finishes and my uni is nearly 200 miles away from home!
Hello, I have been thinking about obtaining a job for the summer. Where would be a good place to work and where would be a good site to find jobs?

I have looked at Waitrose but they don't have any vacancies in my location.

Thanks
Reply 336
Hi

I got a job offer to write articles. I enjoy writing so I don't mind that, but, the pay is 3 pound per article if the amount of articles per month is less than 200 and 4 pounds per article if the amounf of articles is more than 200. Word limit 600. Any thoughts? On the pay? I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not. Help, please!

Thank you
and good luck to everyone looking fro a job!
Hi peeps,

The best job you can get whilst studying at university is tutoring because you're utilising your skills. The pay is great - up to 3/4 times more than a retail job and there is no better feeling helping someone achieve their educational goals...

The industry is booming of late. Thousands and thousands of students require private tuition every year. If you live in London, there is even a bigger opportunity. Around 40% of students use a private tutor at some point during their school careers. I started tutoring during my second year of university and now I do it full time (by the way, I charge £40 - £45 an hour)

You should definitely consider it!

Jeevan
Hello. I always wondered about this. At what point did you decide and how did you start? Were you independent straight away? What resources did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'm 16. Going to be in my final year of secondary school after summer but contemplating getting a job during summer. I'm fairly computer competent but i assume that you'd need qualifications in that area to be hired for that reason. I heard jobs in retail are good for people with anxiety though at the same time I'm nervous and would prefer a relaxed office atmosphere with sorta youngish people. Is this too much criteria for a first job lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending