The Student Room Group

I lightly bumped the car infront whilst driving on a 20MPH road, what now?

I did not see her brake lights and when I did I slammed my brakes on and wasn’t even sure if I did hit her car or if it was just mine stopping so I can’t have been going more than 4 MPH. She put her hazard warning lights on got out of the car and inspected the collision, I sat in mine panicked as I’m still a new driver and was unsure what the correct protocol was. She took a photo and came over to me. Being fully aware this was completely my fault I expressed my apologies, and she said it was okay but she’d need to take some details I panicked and grabbed my phone. She then asked my name and I gave it willingly, she then asked me if I was a new driver, I told her I’d only been driving for a few months she then walked back to the collision and asked if I was alright I said yes and appolgised again. She then got back in her car with no further comment or questions. It’s now two days later and I’ve heard nothing however I am still worried she is going to report the collision, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation from past experiences?
Someone did something similar to my friend - if it is small, insurance will likely not cover it and they will contact you directly. The father of the girl who did it contacted my mate and sorted out the repair.

So if she doesn’t contact you you’re looking in a good position! Maybe she felt sorry for you as a new driver:smile:
By the sounds of it she took pity on you. Sounds like a nice enough person nonetheless - if every driver behaved like that premiums wouldn't be so high in the first place. You've probably just kissed her car by the sounds of it.
Original post by thecolfox
I did not see her brake lights and when I did I slammed my brakes on and wasn’t even sure if I did hit her car or if it was just mine stopping so I can’t have been going more than 4 MPH. She put her hazard warning lights on got out of the car and inspected the collision, I sat in mine panicked as I’m still a new driver and was unsure what the correct protocol was. She took a photo and came over to me. Being fully aware this was completely my fault I expressed my apologies, and she said it was okay but she’d need to take some details I panicked and grabbed my phone. She then asked my name and I gave it willingly, she then asked me if I was a new driver, I told her I’d only been driving for a few months she then walked back to the collision and asked if I was alright I said yes and appolgised again. She then got back in her car with no further comment or questions. It’s now two days later and I’ve heard nothing however I am still worried she is going to report the collision, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation from past experiences?

Well, I'm glad you've acknowledged your mistake. And you really should've gone out and inspected the damage, and took photos of your own for your evidence. You will need to report this accident to your insurers before they find out the hard way; if they find out the hard way they won't be happy.

What she does is up to her, whether or not she wants to claim via the insurance. You can only learn mistakes the hard way I guess, and please do pay more attention on the roads! That could've easily been a child...
Sounds like she was reasonable about it. I understand why she wanted pictures and details. You should be fine.
Original post by thecolfox

As you haven't heard anything you'll probably get away with it but for future reference always do this when you have an accident, even a minor one:

Never admit fault, even if it seems really obvious that it was your fault. If you admit fault the other driver can use this as leverage to get you/your insurance to pay out, where as if you don't admit to it it's up to the insurance to decide whether it was your fault or not and it may turn out she was on her phone or braked too quickly or something

Take photos. I know you said she took photos but you need your own copies too. She could easily go home, trash her car a bit and try and claim it on her insurance. Or try to claim for existing damage. These things are unlikely but you never know.

Get her details as well, just in case, especially her registration number.

Never settle outside of insurance, I know it seems tempting especially as a new driver but the potential problems it could cause down the line just aren't worth it

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by howitoughttobe
As you haven't heard anything you'll probably get away with it but for future reference always do this when you have an accident, even a minor one:

Never admit fault, even if it seems really obvious that it was your fault. If you admit fault the other driver can use this as leverage to get you/your insurance to pay out, where as if you don't admit to it it's up to the insurance to decide whether it was your fault or not and it may turn out she was on her phone or braked too quickly or something

Take photos. I know you said she took photos but you need your own copies too. She could easily go home, trash her car a bit and try and claim it on her insurance. Or try to claim for existing damage. These things are unlikely but you never know.

Get her details as well, just in case, especially her registration number.

Never settle outside of insurance, I know it seems tempting especially as a new driver but the potential problems it could cause down the line just aren't worth it

Thanks for the advice. As a new driver also, I find this incredibly helpful. :smile:
Reply 7
In the future, don’t apologise! It’s admitting that it was your fault and can be used against you in an insurance claim. Even if it was your fault. Instead ask if they are okay, was there any damage etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending