The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University (NCL) Accommodation chat thread and FAQ

Welcome to the official Newcastle University accommodation thread 2018!

Ask your questions, share your thoughts and meet prospective flatmates.

[video="youtube;X9KNo33hK1o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9KNo33hK1o[/video]

Handy links
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

(edited 5 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
I read that accommodation offers will be going out early July firstly for unconditional offer holders then conditional offer holders. What is the period of time to accept the offer. My concern is we'll be on holiday and may miss the email. Though hopefully not :smile:
Original post by WhiteBlueBell
I read that accommodation offers will be going out early July firstly for unconditional offer holders then conditional offer holders. What is the period of time to accept the offer. My concern is we'll be on holiday and may miss the email. Though hopefully not :smile:

Hi WhiteBlueBell,

When you receive your offer email, it’ll include an expiry date by which you’ll need to accept this is usually between 5 and 7 days.

However, if you're concerned you'll miss it you can always drop our dedicated team an email at [email protected] and let them know when you'll be away so they are aware.

Hope this helps :smile:

Susie
Hey hey!

I'd really recommend Roman House. It's a private halls and there's a gym, cinema room, laundry and a common room and most of the rooms are en-suite.

They're maintained by Universal Student Living, and the building is fresh, modern and about 15 mins from uni.

Happy hunting!
Reply 5
Hi,

i am an international student and will be studying in a postgraduate programme this year. i m checking out the accommodation options right now and i'm open the suggestions. Uni provides university-managed accommodation for new postgraduate students and international students which is why i'm looking for university-managed accommodations.
Do you have any recommendations? it could be privet ones too if the conditions and costs are reasinable. i can find the accommodation overview and see the general trades but i'm looking for recommendations from fellow students who know the city and maybe stayed this places.

Thank you for your help.
Hello, I am an international student from Canada and will be studying pharmacy in Newcastle this September! any tips on selecting accommodation near the campus (preferably walking distance)?
Reply 7
Quick check do I need to sign up to the open day on the 29th of June or can i just turn up to have a quick look round the accommodations open that day without singing up to the day? I know it’s last minute but I want to see the accommodation in person before selecting the place. Also as the deadline is the 30th of June does that mean I need to fill it out the night I get back on the 29th or do I have the day on the 30th to fill it out and still meet the initial deadline?
Original post by Cem.
Hi,

i am an international student and will be studying in a postgraduate programme this year. i m checking out the accommodation options right now and i'm open the suggestions. Uni provides university-managed accommodation for new postgraduate students and international students which is why i'm looking for university-managed accommodations.
Do you have any recommendations? it could be privet ones too if the conditions and costs are reasinable. i can find the accommodation overview and see the general trades but i'm looking for recommendations from fellow students who know the city and maybe stayed this places.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Cem,

Have you thought about The Shield? We're a large student accommodation based just outside the city centre and have a selection of studio's and shared flats. We have a lot of postgraduate international students who love living here! We have rooms from £113 per week and you can reserve your room for only £100!

We have great social spaces, a cinema room and on site gym. We also have year long social events to get you meeting new people!

If your interested, visit our website: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/the-shield/ :smile:
Original post by NR22
Quick check do I need to sign up to the open day on the 29th of June or can i just turn up to have a quick look round the accommodations open that day without singing up to the day? I know it’s last minute but I want to see the accommodation in person before selecting the place. Also as the deadline is the 30th of June does that mean I need to fill it out the night I get back on the 29th or do I have the day on the 30th to fill it out and still meet the initial deadline?

You should be able to just turn up - but they would probably like to know your attendance for numbers etc! We take walk in viewings throughout the day here at The Shield if you want to pop in and see us! :smile:

Visit our website for more information: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/the-shield/
Hi,

I'm an international student and I have a conditional offer. I haven't made my application for accommodation yet (the deadline is june 30th). They also say I need to meet the conditions of my offer by July 30th. My results probably wont be out by then so I'm really concerned about the £500 application fee.
1. What happens to that money If I'm unable to meet my conditions?
2.And also will I be able to apply for accommodation after 30th June?
3. If university accommodation becomes unavailable, are other types of student accommodations safe?
Original post by Vaishali.R
Hi,

I'm an international student and I have a conditional offer. I haven't made my application for accommodation yet (the deadline is june 30th). They also say I need to meet the conditions of my offer by July 30th. My results probably wont be out by then so I'm really concerned about the £500 application fee.
3. If university accommodation becomes unavailable, are other types of student accommodations safe?

Hi Vaishali.R,

Generally there isn't a application deadline for accommodation - the accommodations usually just fill up until they have sold all their rooms. I would speak to your accommodation and ask them what you would need to do and explain that you won't get your results until after the accommodation deadline.

Private accommodation is just as safe as university managed accommodation. If you were to book at The Shield, we only charge £100 deposit to reserve your room and if you do not make the grades for your course, we would release you from your tenancy - your accomodation may do something similar.

If you wanted to have a talk with us about next year or come for a visit - please give us a call on 0191 300 6502 or visit our website!
Reply 12
Original post by Cem.
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Hey! I might be of assistance. I have a room at Verde on the 8th floor and i need someone to take over as I want to move in with my friend this September. Verde is really nice. Its got a gym, cinema room, games room, and a huge laundry room. Its literally less than 1 minute walk to the NU business school and about 8-10 mins to the main campus. The only rooms left at Verde are either on ground 0 or 1 if you were interested. Message me if you'd like to know more. Cheers!
Reply 13
Hi,

Hey! Not sure about the 500pounds application fee you are talking about, is it the university-allocated accomodation application? But i know some student accomodations will refund you your deposit if you dont get into the uni. I have a room on the 8th floor at Verde im trying to let to someone for September 2018/2019, and i know for sure they'll refund you if you dont get in so no worries about losing your money there. And its a bit late to be looking for private accomodation right now. Message me if youre interested
Original post by christinayiebiyo
Hello, I am an international student from Canada and will be studying pharmacy in Newcastle this September! any tips on selecting accommodation near the campus (preferably walking distance)?

Hi christinayiebiyo,

You can find all of our accommodation on our website here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/university/undergraduate/

Under the 'location' tab on each individual accommodation page you will find information about the position of the accommodation and a handy map link.

This Accommodation Overview chart also tells you the walking distance to campus for each residence: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/accommodation/files/accomm_overview.pdf

Hope this helps 😊

Valentina
Original post by NR22

Hi NR22,

You can just turn up however we do recommend booking, bookings are still open here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/open-day-visits-fairs/open-days/book/

Six of our residences will be open for you to see at the Open Day, including the brand new Park View Student Village. You can visit the residencies at any time between 9.30-3.30 where you will be shown around by a member of staff.

You need to apply for your accommodation by the 30th June, which includes this day, so you can fill out the application after visiting the residencies.

Hope this helps,

Valentina
Hi,

Hi Vaishali,

We have a handy flowchart online which shows you what happens with your £500 deposit if you cancel your accommodation application: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/accommodation/files/what_happens_applic_fee.pdf

If you cancel your application for accommodation without being made an offer there will be a £50.00 administration fee and the rest will be refunded. If you've been made an offer of accommodation when you cancel your place then the flowchart explains what will happen.

You can apply for University accommodation after 30 June 2018 but as this is after the accommodation guarantee deadline accommodation will only be offered after all of the students who meet the guarantee have been offered their places.

I'm sorry I cannot comment on the safety of private provider accommodation but some offer a 24 hour concierge which may make you feel safer.

Hope this answers your questions 😊

Valentina
Reply 17
Are the university accommodations non-smoking facilities?
Is the application fee £500 required for both undergraduate and postgraduate offer holders?
Original post by monkey-cow
Is the application fee £500 required for both undergraduate and postgraduate offer holders?

Hi monkey-cow,

Yes, the £500 is for both undergraduate and postgraduate accommodation. You can find more information here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/rent-payments/

Hope this helps 😊
Susie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending