The Student Room Group

Newspapers- political stance

Hi,

Please could someone help me with the political stances of newspapers, as i have absolutely no clue.

Independent
Daily Mail
Mirror
Financial Times
Sunday Telegraph
Daily Telegraph

p.s. i know your going to think im an idiot :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Independent - centrist
Daily Mail - extreme right
Mirror - left
Financial Times - right (fiscal)
Sunday Telegraph - right (social + fiscal)
Daily Telegraph - right (social + fiscal)
The ideological idea of the "Independent" was that is was just that; independent of any political stance. However, it tends to adopt a centrist slant, as The West Wing points out.
Surely 'centrist' is basically independent?
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure the Telegraph has more conservative views?
Reply 5
thanks guys, also whats the Times and Sunday Times
zzz123
thanks guys, also whats the Times and Sunday Times

Both moderately right-wing, particularly fiscally.
jess_17_07
Surely 'centrist' is basically independent?

No, independent would be a "newspaper" rather than a "viewspaper". A centrist stance is still a stance.
In practice the current editor of the Independent imposes his view quite a lot on the newspaper.
If the Indie went back to being properly independent I'd buy it every day.
The Solitary Reaper
If the Indie went back to being properly independent I'd buy it every day.

I find their front covers annoying and pointless.
The Torygraph... lolz.
Telegraph = 'Torygraph'
The West Wing
I find their front covers annoying and pointless.

It's a centrish tabloid really. :frown:
Reply 14
On a less serious note:

"The Times is read by the people who run the country. The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country. The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country. The Independent is read by people who don't know who runs the country but are sure they're doing it wrong. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country. The Daily Express is read by the people who think the country ought to be run as it used to be run. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who still think it is their country. And the Sun's readers don't care who runs the country providing she has big tits." -- from Yes Prime Minister (from the 1980s, it doesn't have quite the same resonance today)

"The Star is read by the people who think the Sun is a bit too upmarket." -- anon

"The Sport is read by the people who think that Elvis is running the country from his secret lunar bunker assisted by a team of topless aliens." -- anon

This comes from this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9472081#post9472081

Ad
Reply 15
The West Wing
Both moderately right-wing, particularly fiscally.

Moderately?
Reply 16
Independent- independent but sometimes swings to either side depending on editor
Daily Mail - quite right wing
Mirror - left
Financial Times- moderately right
Sunday Telegraph - moderately left
Daily Telegraph - right

there have always been problems between the editorial teams of the telegraph and the sunday telegraph because the sunday version is left-leaning and the weekday version is slightly to the right.

The Times drifts- about 5 years ago it was said to be left, but now is considered right.
The Solitary Reaper
No, independent would be a "newspaper" rather than a "viewspaper". A centrist stance is still a stance.

Ahh good point... well done about finally getting an offer from cambridge :smile:
Reply 18
the independent is one of our most left wing newspapers.

and the daily mail is not "extreme right" !

lol
but god knows what your mark scheme says, id check that.
Reply 19
I think the independent is pretty central on the political spectrum. I tend to read The Guardian and The Independent as my main newspapers. They're not as sensationalist as the Daily Express or Daily Mail which are right-wing tabloids in my view.

The Times is slightly right wing, although I don't really notice any inherent political bias from what I've read.

Read wide. The difference between The Guardian and the Daily Express & Daily Mail is staggeringly obvious. Read the headlines, look at the quotations they use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending