The Student Room Group

Should I change driving instructor?

I started driving lessons last November and at first my instructor was great, I've had around 15 lessons now and my instructor seems to have changed. She cancels almost every other lesson with little reason and usually at the last minute. I have only done 1 manoeuvre and feel i should have done more by now? Whenever i ask if i can practise something e.g. roundabouts she says no and reminds me she is the teacher so i do as she says. She shouts at me for everything such as indicating late when she doesn't tell me which way to go until usually pulling up to the junction. I had a lesson with her last night and it was again horrible she was shouting at every little thing and called me stupid. She said i'd never pass my test if i carry on the way i am doing and that i'll never drive a petrol car. I was excited to start my driving lessons at first but now i have anxiety before every lesson and dread them as i know she will just end up yelling at me. I didnt even get a full hour yesterday as she made me drive home. She also often ignores me when I'm driving and goes on her phone. Should i change?
(edited 6 years ago)
she doesn't sound supportive at all so I'd say yes. you should enjoy your lessons not be anxious before hand
Reply 2
Original post by aby17
I started driving lessons last November and at first my instructor was great, I've had around 15 lessons now and my instructor seems to have changed. She cancels almost every other lesson with little reason and usually at the last minute. I have only done 1 manoeuvre and feel i should have done more by now? Whenever i ask if i can practise something e.g. roundabouts she says no and reminds me she is the teacher so i do as she says. She shouts at me for everything such as indicating late when she doesn't tell me which way to go until usually pulling up to the junction. I had a lesson with her last night and it was again horrible she was shouting at every little thing and called me stupid. She said i'd never pass my test if i carry on the way i am doing and that i'll never drive a petrol car. I was excited to start my driving lessons at first but now i have anxiety before every lesson and dread them as i know she will just end up yelling at me. I didnt even get a full hour yesterday as she made me drive home. Should i change?

This thread should be in Learning to Drive - tagging @AngryJellyfish to move it for you.
Yes you should definitely change, my BSM instructor was great, the exact opposite of your description.
Reply 4
Original post by aby17
I started driving lessons last November and at first my instructor was great, I've had around 15 lessons now and my instructor seems to have changed. She cancels almost every other lesson with little reason and usually at the last minute. I have only done 1 manoeuvre and feel i should have done more by now? Whenever i ask if i can practise something e.g. roundabouts she says no and reminds me she is the teacher so i do as she says. She shouts at me for everything such as indicating late when she doesn't tell me which way to go until usually pulling up to the junction. I had a lesson with her last night and it was again horrible she was shouting at every little thing and called me stupid. She said i'd never pass my test if i carry on the way i am doing and that i'll never drive a petrol car. I was excited to start my driving lessons at first but now i have anxiety before every lesson and dread them as i know she will just end up yelling at me. I didnt even get a full hour yesterday as she made me drive home. Should i change?

It is time to change your driving instructor.
Yes. Change instructor
Ditto above, new instructor, don't give her anymore money.
Original post by aby17
I started driving lessons last November and at first my instructor was great, I've had around 15 lessons now and my instructor seems to have changed. She cancels almost every other lesson with little reason and usually at the last minute. I have only done 1 manoeuvre and feel i should have done more by now? Whenever i ask if i can practise something e.g. roundabouts she says no and reminds me she is the teacher so i do as she says. She shouts at me for everything such as indicating late when she doesn't tell me which way to go until usually pulling up to the junction. I had a lesson with her last night and it was again horrible she was shouting at every little thing and called me stupid. She said i'd never pass my test if i carry on the way i am doing and that i'll never drive a petrol car. I was excited to start my driving lessons at first but now i have anxiety before every lesson and dread them as i know she will just end up yelling at me. I didnt even get a full hour yesterday as she made me drive home. She also often ignores me when I'm driving and goes on her phone. Should i change?

Lessons should be client centred, but that doesn't mean you get to do something that you would clearly not be ready for. I'm generalising here - if someone wants to take a complex roundabout having only done one simple one previously then no instructor would agree to that. Well I might, but then I do push people at times but it would all depend on time of day and traffic volume etc.

That said, from what you're saying it sounds like your instructor is not working with you to help you learn and achieve your goals (being a safe driver and passing the driving test).

If she is genuinely using a phone whilst you are driving, you should consider reporting her to the police and the DVSA. It is an offence for an accompanying driver to use a mobile phone when supervising a learner driver and they would subject to the same 6 points and fine as you would be as the driver. This would be enough for the Registrar to consider striking an instructor off the register. As well as being an offence, it is downright dangerous and totally unprofessional.

I hate hearing stuff like this about my profession, it makes us look unprofessional when it's a tiny minority causing these problems. No instructor should be making you dread your lessons. Makes me wonder how instructors like that continue in business as this is a very word of mouth business, and if they're repeatedly doing this with pupils then they don't deserve to be in business.
Original post by aby17

I would change. She doesn't sound at all supportive and should not be shouting at you. Driving instructors need to keep their calm and remain relaxed to put the learner at ease, if she insults you and is aggressive then I would change. As for progress you have made I have done 28 hours of driving so far (14 2 hour lessons) and have covered all the manoeuvres and am practising them now. If your lessons are an hour long and you have done 15 hours I would say you are ahead of the game. Most people do like 40-45 hours of lessons before the test. At 15 hours I had done no manoeuvres and was just moving into the test area.
Original post by aby17

Change 100%. She should not be making you feel that way about your driving at all. There are so many other instructors out there who will be much more supportive :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending