The Student Room Group

Driving lessons fgs

Am I being taken in for a mug? Am I not patient? Is he really slow?

So my first driving lesson which was 2 hours, we learnt about the car.
The whole first hour, I learnt about what is inside the car and how to turn on my lights, how to indicate, how to turn on my windscreen wipers.
The second hour we got to using the clutch and moving off forwards and backwards. He told me to keep on repeating it.
That was my first lesson done.

My second lesson we went through everything I had previously said, just really quickly. We then got to moving off in the middle of the road, turning and parking safely. Baring in mind, I was on gear 1 the whole time and only accelerated a bit.

The lesson was now done.

Each lesson lasted 2 hours...

Where should I be at now?
That isn't too bad. When you say parking do you mean pulling up on the side of the road or actual manoeuvres such as parallel parking and bay parking?
If you did the manoeuvres then you are way ahead. However if you only just did pulling up on the side of the road, then perhaps a little behind. However after 2 lessons it is hard to say.
This is exactly what I did for my first two lessons (which were 2 hours each), the pace will increase soon!
Original post by OwlOfFire
That isn't too bad. When you say parking do you mean pulling up on the side of the road or actual manoeuvres such as parallel parking and bay parking?
If you did the manoeuvres then you are way ahead. However if you only just did pulling up on the side of the road, then perhaps a little behind. However after 2 lessons it is hard to say.

Yes, just pulling up on the side of the road, however you are right.
I will give it another couple of lessons...

Thanks
Original post by emmamariekitty
This is exactly what I did for my first two lessons (which were 2 hours each), the pace will increase soon!

Oh right!
I think I am just not patient enough... Just want to drive ASAP
Reply 5
It really depends on the instructor. I was at the same place as you after two lessons, however a friend of mine was driving on dual carriage ways on his second lesson. Some instructors take a more methodical approach, whereas some throw you right in the deep end.
Original post by JoeeA
It really depends on the instructor. I was at the same place as you after two lessons, however a friend of mine was driving on dual carriage ways on his second lesson. Some instructors take a more methodical approach, whereas some throw you right in the deep end.

That is true,
Problem is I do not have money to be spending on methodical approaches. I just want to get on that seat and drive myself away to a pass on the exam!
Original post by marwakhalid
Yes, just pulling up on the side of the road, however you are right.
I will give it another couple of lessons...

Thanks

Like others say people go at different paces, some people have pretty much learnt to drive by the time of their first lesson others don't know how to turn the engine on. I had barely driven before my first lesson, only around in a circle at a car park. The first lesson (2 hours) we did the car controls and the cockpit drill, then we moved off and drove around a circuit several times just doing left turns and emerging from a junction. My second lesson I drove around the housing blocks doing left and right turns, more moving off and pulling up at the side.
Original post by OwlOfFire
Like others say people go at different paces, some people have pretty much learnt to drive by the time of their first lesson others don't know how to turn the engine on. I had barely driven before my first lesson, only around in a circle at a car park. The first lesson (2 hours) we did the car controls and the cockpit drill, then we moved off and drove around a circuit several times just doing left turns and emerging from a junction. My second lesson I drove around the housing blocks doing left and right turns, more moving off and pulling up at the side.

Okay, thank you for that. I will give it one more lesson and see where I am at... I don't know if I am being un-patient but I will see, thanks!
Original post by marwakhalid
Am I being taken in for a mug? Am I not patient? Is he really slow?

So my first driving lesson which was 2 hours, we learnt about the car.
The whole first hour, I learnt about what is inside the car and how to turn on my lights, how to indicate, how to turn on my windscreen wipers.
The second hour we got to using the clutch and moving off forwards and backwards. He told me to keep on repeating it.
That was my first lesson done.

My second lesson we went through everything I had previously said, just really quickly. We then got to moving off in the middle of the road, turning and parking safely. Baring in mind, I was on gear 1 the whole time and only accelerated a bit.

The lesson was now done.

Each lesson lasted 2 hours...

Where should I be at now?

The driving instructor is teaching you the basics, like every driving instructor would. If you don't have the basics, you won't know how to do the other stuff.

Just have some patience, and you'll be driving in no time! :smile:

Just tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Learning to drive.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
The driving instructor is teaching you the basics, like every driving instructor would. If you don't have the basics, you won't know how to do the other stuff.

Just have some patience, and you'll be driving in no time! :smile:

Just tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Learning to drive.

Okay, you are right. The basics are important I guess for driving. I will give it a couple of lessons and see…

Thanks for the advice!
Wait a few more lessons to base judgement.

"The second hour we got to using the clutch and moving off forwards and backwards. He told me to keep on repeating it."

I got this in my first hour, with a very basic cockpit drill. As a result, none of my subsequent instructors never thought to tell me what the controls are and when in the test I was asked to clear the windscreen with washer/wipe, I simply had to guess and got lucky - seeing as how I already screwed up a question asking how I knew the ABS was working since I was never even taught that lol.
Original post by nevershear
Wait a few more lessons to base judgement.

"The second hour we got to using the clutch and moving off forwards and backwards. He told me to keep on repeating it."

I got this in my first hour, with a very basic cockpit drill. As a result, none of my subsequent instructors never thought to tell me what the controls are and when in the test I was asked to clear the windscreen with washer/wipe, I simply had to guess and got lucky - seeing as how I already screwed up a question asking how I knew the ABS was working since I was never even taught that lol.

Okay, I will do. I'll make sure I will wait.
Yeah you got lucky with that one Lol!
I havent even reversed yet and Im on my 8th lesson. Be patient.
I do not have patient type of money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending