The Student Room Group

Driving test is in 2 weeks but my instructor is flopping... what to do?

So I have a test booked in less than 2 weeks and my instructor has become a little sloppy. I started off with someone else teaching me, a family friend in his 60s who is a driving instructor in a diesel car BUT he then started being inappropriate with me. I have known him since I was 3 and he always begged my mom to adopt me, yet when he found out I had a gf and was gay, suddenly he then tried it. Became sloppy, taking phone calls, then he tried to kiss me! and said “what you don’t like boys”. Afterwards he apologised and said not to tell my mom but I didn’t feel comfortable taking my lessons with him. I had about 12 lessons and was quite confident, as I had to drive on my own whilst he was chatting on the phone or texting A LOT. Its gold dust to even get a lesson with him without it being cancelled anyway.

Anyway I got a new instructor and straight away he said to book my test which I have done and have been having 2 hour lessons a week in a petrol car. He refuses 1 hour lessons spread. Anyway he’s been cancelling lessons, and was shouting quite abit, and at other times will not talk at all. I told him that’s affecting my confidence, it’s quite good him saying you were such a great driver but then shouting unnecessarily will affect my confidence. For example, GET INTO THIRD (I’m in third) OH WELL YOU USED TO BE SUCH A GOOD DRIVER -__-. Anyway as my test is booked, I stayed, even after he was saying gays will go to hell. But now he hasn’t given me a lesson in two weeks and I have 2 weeks till my test.

My mom has taken me out to drive in my car, but she won’t let me drive properly. For example, I drove to work today fine, but then when we got to my work, she wouldn’t let me park safely but instead told me to stop in the middle of road blocking a junction, so she could turn the car around. Again If I drive anywhere she won’t let me park, if the speed limit is 30 and I’m going 20 its “too fast” but that would fail me on my test all because she’s scared of me driving. So atm I haven’t got any proper lessons and ahhhhhhhh I’m panicking. The driving instructor has booked the date of my test but he is a little unreliable. And I just want to make sure I pass, and even have a mock test.

What do I do?
Original post by Symonedanielle
So I have a test booked in less than 2 weeks and my instructor has become a little sloppy. I started off with someone else teaching me, a family friend in his 60s who is a driving instructor in a diesel car BUT he then started being inappropriate with me. I have known him since I was 3 and he always begged my mom to adopt me, yet when he found out I had a gf and was gay, suddenly he then tried it. Became sloppy, taking phone calls, then he tried to kiss me! and said “what you don’t like boys”. Afterwards he apologised and said not to tell my mom but I didn’t feel comfortable taking my lessons with him. I had about 12 lessons and was quite confident, as I had to drive on my own whilst he was chatting on the phone or texting A LOT. Its gold dust to even get a lesson with him without it being cancelled anyway.

Anyway I got a new instructor and straight away he said to book my test which I have done and have been having 2 hour lessons a week in a petrol car. He refuses 1 hour lessons spread. Anyway he’s been cancelling lessons, and was shouting quite abit, and at other times will not talk at all. I told him that’s affecting my confidence, it’s quite good him saying you were such a great driver but then shouting unnecessarily will affect my confidence. For example, GET INTO THIRD (I’m in third) OH WELL YOU USED TO BE SUCH A GOOD DRIVER -__-. Anyway as my test is booked, I stayed, even after he was saying gays will go to hell. But now he hasn’t given me a lesson in two weeks and I have 2 weeks till my test.

My mom has taken me out to drive in my car, but she won’t let me drive properly. For example, I drove to work today fine, but then when we got to my work, she wouldn’t let me park safely but instead told me to stop in the middle of road blocking a junction, so she could turn the car around. Again If I drive anywhere she won’t let me park, if the speed limit is 30 and I’m going 20 its “too fast” but that would fail me on my test all because she’s scared of me driving. So atm I haven’t got any proper lessons and ahhhhhhhh I’m panicking. The driving instructor has booked the date of my test but he is a little unreliable. And I just want to make sure I pass, and even have a mock test.

What do I do?

I suggest you change instructor ASAP and cram as many lessons as possible to get used to a different vehicle. You don't want to risk your current instructor cancelling anymore lessons or even your test.
Original post by Symonedanielle

What do I do?

No offence, but what you said about the instructor trying to kiss you etc doesn't really sound true as I'm sure you would've reported it, if it was, I apologies, but surely that is the type of stuff you report to the police.

Anyways, just change instructor, see how many lesson you can get in before your test and if you feel you need to, delay your test. I'm guessing you might be American using 'Mom' so I'm not sure if it is any different, anyways I had my first instructor from March - December of 2017, he constantly told me just to book in for my test as the waiting list in my area is quite long so when it comes to it, if I need to I can just delay it. Anyways, I finally booked my test in October for mid January time. My instructor had always been so hard to book lessons with, he would also text me a day before or even sometimes a few hours before an available time to ask if I could do a lesson which I usually could, but it's not right to do that, especially knowing that sometimes I had made plans sometimes. I was also sometimes having lessons every 2 weeks rather than the advised lesson each week. Anyways I had a lesson at the start of December and he apparently wasn't available again till the new year. He was a nice person, however I didn't feel like I was getting taught enough and some of my friends were having 2 lessons each week where as I would sometimes have 1 every 2 weeks so I decided to change my instructor and it was the best decision ever.

I had to push my test from the 22nd of January to the 21st of February as I didn't feel ready, my previous instructor slightly knocked my confidence. I did fail my test and it was my first, however I failed due to a hill start. I have already booked my next test, I do feel very confident, me and my instructor both agree that I can drive well. I just rushed the hill start and that was simply why I failed, if it wasn't for that I would've passed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending