The Student Room Group

My driving test is in a month and I am having bad lessons...

I learned quite slowly until around the 20th lesson and then got on track. I have done around 40 lessons, maybe more if you take number of hours into account.

Last lesson I went backwards. I stalled twice; one when turning left into a narrow side road when I was braking to much (1st gear was necessary). In fact it might have been up to three times because the third occasion involved me trying to pull up in order to let a car come through - which I am not very good at.

Another problem I have is knowing which lane to go in, which is improving however, and keeping the car in that lane, not drifting into other ones by accident.

Worryingly, I missed several road signs on the last drive and I believe my responses to signals are poor - maybe it's because I'm looking a my speedo? I know speed doesn't really matter if it's just a couple mph over the limit, it's a really bad habit of mine.

Even situations on the road I tend to struggle dealing with. For example, if a bus is indicating right at a bus stop to pull out, do I drive on or not?

Basic issues are randomly arising such as how smooth I change from first gear to second.

If there are anymore issues, I will add them to this thread.

Booking the test I believe was the best thing to do because I should be ready by then but wonder if I can eliminate every error before that date is another matter. At the moment, we're doing some test routes and I should expect mock tests soon.
Bump
To be honest, I would be looking at pushing your test back or getting more than one lesson a week if you keep the current test date. With the number of errors creeping in, you don't sound ready to be sitting the test.

What I find is that faults that are present during lessons will come to light in the test too - so you really want to have fixed all these faults consistently before going to test.

The statement "Even situations on the road I tend to struggle dealing with. For example, if a bus is indicating right at a bus stop to pull out, do I drive on or not?" is what concerns me most though. Says you're not ready to be driving on your own. Harsh, maybe, but when your driving on your own you will come across situations that you'll have experienced in lessons but also situations that you'll never have come across in lessons. How are you going to work out how best to deal with them with nobody sitting beside you to guide you?

Mock tests will give you a clue as to where you need to work on, but it sounds like you just need more time behind the wheel before sitting the test.

Some people will take a lot more than 40 hours to be at a safe level ready to sit the test; others a lot less, but everyone is different. Don't go rushing into the test if you don't feel ready.
Wow, are you me?

This exactly the same situation, I have my test at the end of the month. And my last lesson was horrific, stalling, poor lane discipline, rubbish gear changing, nervousness.\

One of my worse lessons..."Basic issues are randomly arising such as how smooth I change from first gear to second" - So relatable :'(
Reply 4
It's okay to feel like that a month before the test. You can make a lot of progress in 4 weeks. What's important is how you're driving about one week before the test. I rebooked mine 3 times in total. I decided if I was still making silly mistakes one week before the test, then I should rebook it. As long as you rebook 5 days before the test, you won't lose your money, so if you've already covered all of the actual content and are just doing mocks now then I don't see the point in rebooking your test so early.
Original post by EvilShubunkin
To be honest, I would be looking at pushing your test back or getting more than one lesson a week if you keep the current test date. With the number of errors creeping in, you don't sound ready to be sitting the test.

What I find is that faults that are present during lessons will come to light in the test too - so you really want to have fixed all these faults consistently before going to test.

The statement "Even situations on the road I tend to struggle dealing with. For example, if a bus is indicating right at a bus stop to pull out, do I drive on or not?" is what concerns me most though. Says you're not ready to be driving on your own. Harsh, maybe, but when your driving on your own you will come across situations that you'll have experienced in lessons but also situations that you'll never have come across in lessons. How are you going to work out how best to deal with them with nobody sitting beside you to guide you?

Mock tests will give you a clue as to where you need to work on, but it sounds like you just need more time behind the wheel before sitting the test.

Some people will take a lot more than 40 hours to be at a safe level ready to sit the test; others a lot less, but everyone is different. Don't go rushing into the test if you don't feel ready.

Thanks for your advice. I only booked it two weeks earlier than my instructor suggested due to availability. I think I should be doing OK by the time my test comes round.

I am buying a car to do more practice in so that will help.
If you test is within a month, push it back - you need more time. If it's like 3 months you'll be fine, just focus on weak areas.
Reply 7
Has anyone downloaded the local driving test routes? I found a company called New Driver Programme and they offer them for £9.99 .... is it worth it? They say it can double your chances of passing ... im not sure if I should
Original post by BigAls
Has anyone downloaded the local driving test routes? I found a company called New Driver Programme and they offer them for £9.99 .... is it worth it? They say it can double your chances of passing ... im not sure if I should

It's a myth. Knowing the routes helps a little as you're familiarising yourself with the area but don't learn them. I wouldn't personally.
Original post by Jesse Lingard
I learned quite slowly until around the 20th lesson and then got on track. I have done around 40 lessons, maybe more if you take number of hours into account.

Last lesson I went backwards. I stalled twice; one when turning left into a narrow side road when I was braking to much (1st gear was necessary). In fact it might have been up to three times because the third occasion involved me trying to pull up in order to let a car come through - which I am not very good at.

Another problem I have is knowing which lane to go in, which is improving however, and keeping the car in that lane, not drifting into other ones by accident.

Worryingly, I missed several road signs on the last drive and I believe my responses to signals are poor - maybe it's because I'm looking a my speedo? I know speed doesn't really matter if it's just a couple mph over the limit, it's a really bad habit of mine.

Even situations on the road I tend to struggle dealing with. For example, if a bus is indicating right at a bus stop to pull out, do I drive on or not?

Basic issues are randomly arising such as how smooth I change from first gear to second.

If there are anymore issues, I will add them to this thread.

Booking the test I believe was the best thing to do because I should be ready by then but wonder if I can eliminate every error before that date is another matter. At the moment, we're doing some test routes and I should expect mock tests soon.

The first rule of driving is that you don't really learn how to drive until after you have passed your test. However, you do seem to be making a lot of mistakes and this could be because you're panicking. It might be an idea to postpone your test so that you can relax and focus on improving.

I was convinced I was going to fail before my test (almost didn't take it) and even my instructor said I only had a 50/50 chance of passing. But I took it anyway and I passed! Got 11 minors but ah well it still counts and I'm a very good driver now.
Original post by BigAls

I don't think it's worth it. There were 21 for my test centre and there was no way I was going to remember all of them. You'd be better off asking your instructor to take you around the hardest parts of each route so you're prepared for them. That's what mine did.
Reply 11
I just emailed my instructor and she replied saying ...

"Most routes are simliar and practicing will make a huge differance on your test day ... but you need more experiance first! Im planning on getting them downloaded to my Sat Nav anyway" but feel free to get them when practicing with your Dad"

Im going to give it a go ... on my Iphone - http://www.newdriverprogramme.com/blog/driving-test-routes/

Thanks peeps :smile:
Original post by BigAls
I just emailed my instructor and she replied saying ...

"Most routes are simliar and practicing will make a huge differance on your test day ... but you need more experiance first! Im planning on getting them downloaded to my Sat Nav anyway" but feel free to get them when practicing with your Dad"

Im going to give it a go ... on my Iphone - http://www.newdriverprogramme.com/blog/driving-test-routes/

Thanks peeps :smile:

At the moment I would say this is a waste of time. Test routes have not been published by the DVSA for years so I'd be asking where they're getting the route information from. Additionally since the changes to the test in December, many of the routes test centres are using have been updated as they can pretty much go anywhere they like when using satnav independent driving, so any test routes that companies like this are claiming to offer may be even more out of date.

Your instructor should be taking you on all types of roads and covering the more complex junctions and roundabouts that you may encounter on your test. You should be able to drive anywhere if you're ready for your test, and indeed examiners may have to go off-route on occasion in the event of traffic congestion or other problems. If you're not confident driving on unfamiliar roads, you shouldn't be taking a driving test.
I haven't read the other replies, so I am not sure if I am saying the exact same as anyone else, but you have two choices 1)Take your test and see how you do, you might do better than you realize and if you fail, you fail, big deal, just means you will have to pay to retake it again 2) Delay it till your ready.

I was in the same boat as you, I had an instructor for about 30 hours worth of lessons and was a pretty nervous/bad driver, I understood everything, however I just couldn't go a lesson without Stalling twice, holding up traffic, completing a Maneuver successfully on the 5th attempt, I was hopeless and my test was only 2 weeks away by the 30th hour. I changed my instructor, my first instructor was a nice person but really was't helpful, when I did something wrong instead of telling me what I should've done he would just be like "Oh no mate, you can't be doing that" anyways changing instructor was the best decision I ever made, I had to delay my test by a month and whilst I may have failed it first time, I know what I am doing. I can go a whole lesson without stalling, I may do a couple of silly mistakes here and there like going 45 MPH on a national MPH road or drive too close to the curb, but overall I know what I am doing, just to let you know I got two Majors, Stalling on a hill start which made me roll back (The roll back part was the major) and some guy ran out in front of me so the examiner had to use the brakes. Whilst it wasn't my fault, as a driver you have to be prepared to stop.

Anyways I have my next test tomorrow, if I fail, oh well, I know I can drive it's just about driving as safe as possible when it comes to the test. HOPE THIS HELPED!
Original post by cbaforcba
I haven't read the other replies, so I am not sure if I am saying the exact same as anyone else, but you have two choices 1)Take your test and see how you do, you might do better than you realize and if you fail, you fail, big deal, just means you will have to pay to retake it again 2) Delay it till your ready.

I was in the same boat as you, I had an instructor for about 30 hours worth of lessons and was a pretty nervous/bad driver, I understood everything, however I just couldn't go a lesson without Stalling twice, holding up traffic, completing a Maneuver successfully on the 5th attempt, I was hopeless and my test was only 2 weeks away by the 30th hour. I changed my instructor, my first instructor was a nice person but really was't helpful, when I did something wrong instead of telling me what I should've done he would just be like "Oh no mate, you can't be doing that" anyways changing instructor was the best decision I ever made, I had to delay my test by a month and whilst I may have failed it first time, I know what I am doing. I can go a whole lesson without stalling, I may do a couple of silly mistakes here and there like going 45 MPH on a national MPH road or drive too close to the curb, but overall I know what I am doing, just to let you know I got two Majors, Stalling on a hill start which made me roll back (The roll back part was the major) and some guy ran out in front of me so the examiner had to use the brakes. Whilst it wasn't my fault, as a driver you have to be prepared to stop.

Anyways I have my next test tomorrow, if I fail, oh well, I know I can drive it's just about driving as safe as possible when it comes to the test. HOPE THIS HELPED!

Let us know how it went, good luck!
Original post by accountant-future
Let us know how it went, good luck!

I passed! 4 Minors aswell, one minor for stalling, one for not checking mirrors when changing gear or changing direction and not observing properly at a junction.
Yid army, your team is useless
Reply 17
Original post by Jesse Lingard

Stop and let the bus pull out

Just keep practicing. You could ask your instructor if you could try to get some more lessons in a week or have longer lessons, and then see how your test goes. If you fail, you fail. At least you can say you tried and then you can book it again. Or if you pass, then great!

My test is in a month, so getting slightly nervous, but I'm feeling confident
Original post by cbaforcba
I passed! 4 Minors aswell, one minor for stalling, one for not checking mirrors when changing gear or changing direction and not observing properly at a junction.

Congratulations, you no longer have to suffer public transport :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending