The Student Room Group

Aston vs Nottingham vs Manhester vs Loughborough

I have 4 of my offers now and I am still waiting for Bath. What would you say? Which is the best for management / business and why do you think so? I want your opinion because I am an international student and Internet is my only source of Information because I won`t go to a Open day anyway. I am thinking of Aston as my firm (supposing Bath reject me). I know that Aston is a relatively new university and is high in the rankings but does it really has a good reputation? Probably Nottingham will be my insurance. I liked that Loughborough has a placement year and course sound perfect but I think that Nottingham has a better reputation. I liked Manchester but they gave me such a high offer that i could have gone to Oxford if I had such grades (actually a girl from my school who get into Oxford has a lower offer), so I will probably decline them. Can I email them and tell them that with the recent changes of our education system it is absolutely impossible (I doubt there would be 10 people in the whole country with such grades as their offer) to obtain such grades or they would answer me that the offer can not be changed. Here are the offers from all my universities.
Manchester 6/6
Aston 5.5/6
Nottingham 5/6
Loughborough 5/6 or Unconditional their offer is unclear but that does not matter I will have 5/6 anyway.
I suppose that if Bath offer me a place it will be a 5.75/6 or 5.5/6.
Reply 1
I'm at Aston (but not a Business student admittedly!) and it has an excellent business school.

You mention that you liked Loughborough because it includes a placement year... Aston also has a compulsory placement in the 3rd year, I believe. I do a lot of campus tours for the Business School and the courses are very popular.

Email the Uni/send off for prospectuses etc as well as asking on here and try to get a feel for the places that way if you can't get to open days.
Reply 2
Probably Nottm.
Reply 3
nottingham i think :smile: good luck
Reply 4
manchester i think
I'd probably say it's between Bath and Nottingham (perhaps Manchester too). Having said that, it's mainly a guess rather than an informed opinion.
Reply 6
According to the Good University Guide tables :

Business Studies
#4 Bath
#6 Nottingham
#7 Aston
#11 Manchester
#15 Loughborough

But don't base your future on a uni's reputation. I think you have to see which course is the best according to you, not according to the reputation. I'm in the same case as I can't go to the UK to see how the place is, but discuss with current students on unis' threads, just to have more info about the course, the place, maybe pictures.

But don't just base your choice on reputation, that would be a huge mistake as you will spend 3 years of your life and if you don't like it, then that would have been a waste of time ...
Reply 7
i thought manchester business school was one of he best
Reply 8
Not for undergraduate degrees.
Reply 9
Nottingham
Reply 10
v2006
Not for undergraduate degrees.

What dio you know, you think Nottingham trent is better than lancaster:rolleyes:
Reply 11
It was a joke hun
Reply 12
Aston Business School is by far the best among those choices, the only Business School rated more highly is London School of Economics and you need AAA to get in there and even then if you arnt foreign or well connected its tough, I turned them down because London is too expensive.
Reply 13
Are you sure Aston is better than CASS/Bristol/Notts/Manchester/Warwick?
Reply 14
for Business degrees it is without a doubt - but for everything else, I cannot say.

u have to think of the trade off, nottingham and warwick have good reputations as university overall, they are better heard of. but aston business school is best known for it's Business Degrees

its whether or not you want the best unviersity per se, or the best unviersity for your course.
Reply 15
I thought the Warwick Business School was the most reputed after LSE.
Reply 16
I think Aston is a lot like Lancaster in that both universities are famous for their business schools but it depends if overall reputation is important to you cause overall i would think Nottingham and Bath have a better overall reputation compared to Aston. I would go for Nottingham but i dont no much about Bath's business school.

Latest

Trending

Trending