The Student Room Group

Law at royal Holloway or surrey university?

Hey guys,

So I’ve received offers from all my choices but I am struggling to decide between these two

On one hand surrey is 13th best overall but 43rd for law and royal Holloway doesn’t actually have any ranking for their law course.

What university is better. Like excluding all the bias some may have.

What would be the better choice for someone who wants to actually become a lawyer- which uni is more renowned and more popular amongst employers?

Also, which uni is better in regard to modules.

I’ve done my research into them but I just want some opinions.

Also does anyone have any advice on how going to royal Holloway would affect my chances of getting a law job in London ?

Does the fact it and Surrey are not Russel groups make my chances very slim ?

Thanks !
(edited 6 years ago)
Subject rankings are tosh, ignore. RHUL does not have a placing not because it's crap but because its course is very new and there's very little data.

Russell Group means little, as does the name of the individual uni -- work hard, make good apps, and you'll have a chance to work in the City. Surrey is a good school and it appears RHUL is not too bad too. Modules will vary very little and where they do vary, you will be able to determine which you find more suitable based on your research and personal interests.

Surrey does have placement years, which is very good for employability. Beware, though, there is no guarantee they will find you an impressive firm/organisation to host you on that year. Of course, they brag about people working in commercial firms and sets, but they also list Citizens Advice on their available schemes. Were you to study at any other uni or not do the placement year, you'd be able to volunteer at CAB while studying.
Original post by Anynomususer
Hey guys,

So I’ve received offers from all my choices but I am struggling to decide between these two

On one hand surrey is 13th best overall but 43rd for law and royal Holloway doesn’t actually have any ranking for their law course.

What would be the better choice for someone who wants to actually become a lawyer- which uni is more renowned and more popular amongst employers?

Also does anyone have any advice on how going to royal Holloway would affect my chances of getting a law job in London ?

Thanks !

Hey @Anynomususer,

Great to hear you're considering doing your LLB at Surrey :smile:

Ultimately, the decision lies with you, and you should go with whichever university you feel that you'll be happiest and most successful at. I would suggest watching our webinar on studying Law at Surrey and what that entails, which you can register to do here.

One of the benefits of studying at Surrey (as outlined by the user above) is the fact that we offer the option of doing a placement year. This helps students gain valuable experience, and will look good when it comes to applying for your LPC and subsequent training contract. You can also choose to split your placement year between doing a placement and doing a semester at another university overseas. It is the student's responsibility to secure a placement, but the university supports you in the process. Our Careers & Employability team can help look over your applications, run mock interviews, and provide workshops for improving skills related to employability.

I'm sure you've already done your research on becoming a solicitor/barrister, but this article sets everything out in a nice, straightforward manner.

I would suggest speaking to staff/students at both Surrey and Royal Holloway to gain a better insight into what each university offers their law students. Normally if you contact the Admissions team they'll be happy to put you in touch with academics/current students (depending on their availability) who will be happy to speak to you about the course. You can email/phone Surrey's Admissions team on [email protected]/+44(0)1483682222. :smile:

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
Original post by Anynomususer
Hey guys,

Thanks !

Hi Anynomususer,

Congratulations on receiving an offer!

It looks like you've gotten some really good information already. Just to second what Ashley from University of Surrey has said, be sure that you take a look into what course would work best for you. I would recommend coming along to an Applicant Visit Day or an Online Applicant Event if you haven't done so already.

At Royal Holloway, for the past two years we have selected a small number of Law students to be mentored by practicing solicitors at Weightmans LLP in London. This involves some vacation work experience in addition to a general mentorship relationship.

Additionally, we run a Careers Week in November every year where students can attend talks from a range of firms that are both local and from further afield and network with local practitioners over a drinks reception.

The School of Law works closely with our Law society so there are plenty of opportunities to gain new experiences and meet like-minded people.

You can chat to current Royal Holloway students on our website, like Ilona, who is currently studying Law with Criminology. You can start a conversation with her here.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Susana :smile:
Battle of the unis!
Original post by Cereidee
Battle of the unis!

lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending