The Student Room Group

Checking out Me History

What does the light imagery represent?
Light has connotations of hopefulness, as you can say something is a 'light in the dark', meaning it is a glimmer of hope in a hard time. He's basically saying that these black historical figures were bringing hope and light to the suppressed race at the time they were alive.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I thought I may as well post my ideas lol
Reply 2
Original post by amberfox264
Light has connotations of hopefulness, as you can say something is a 'light in the dark', meaning it is a glimmer of hope in a hard time. He's basically saying that these black historical figures were bringing hope and light to the suppressed race at the time they were alive.

Thank you so much! That's great analysis.
The light imagery gives a sense of vision and enlightenment which is juxtaposed against the idea of him being 'blinded' and 'bandaged' at the beginning of the poem. The repeated motif of light is only used when he discusses his own historical figures which could perhaps mean that Jamaican historical figures outshine the British - this linking in with the fact how he furthermore belittles english history by using nursery rhymes making it seem childish and almost like a joke.

This is what i have annotated in my anthology anyway.
Original post by amberfox264

I’d also use this as a way of contradiction to the beginning of the poem when it says ‘bandage up me eye’ and ‘blind me to my own identity’. The sight loss here contradicts the light at the end of the poem signifying the Eurocentric education he has experienced in Jamaica and the lack of identity he feels. Also the verb ‘bandage’ has connotations of healing so the juxtaposition of this and the ‘blind’ emphasises this whole idea of a lack of identity and him being sightless to who he is - ‘bandage’ also makes it appear forced.

I kind of went on off on one there and over complicated it but I hope that helps. :P
Reply 5
Original post by I_Hate_School
I’d also use this as a way of contradiction to the beginning of the poem when it says ‘bandage up me eye’ and ‘blind me to my own identity’. The sight loss here contradicts the light at the end of the poem signifying the Eurocentric education he has experienced in Jamaica and the lack of identity he feels. Also the verb ‘bandage’ has connotations of healing so the juxtaposition of this and the ‘blind’ emphasises this whole idea of a lack of identity and him being sightless to who he is - ‘bandage’ also makes it appear forced.

I kind of went on off on one there and over complicated it but I hope that helps. :P

Could you say how Agard was healed when he found his true identity (learning about black history). This would validate the point about light imagery as black historical figures are bringing hope.
Original post by hp4300
Could you say how Agard was healed when he found his true identity (learning about black history). This would validate the point about light imagery as black historical figures are bringing hope.

Yes - I’ll use that :smile:
Original post by hp4300
What does the light imagery represent?

Uhhhh i hate that poem uhhhhdhdbdhdsfuihfuigsvaskihc

Quick Reply

Latest