The Student Room Group

A level Gov and Politics or Business????

Poll

Which one shall I take?????

Which one????? Shall I choose????
whichever you'd enjoy more.

what are your other A level choices?
I'd go with whatever attracts you the most. Both have their negatives and positives.

If you're very opinionated and are very into politics, definitely go into politics and government. I'm also (hopefully) doing it next year. But, there are a lot of long essays to write - but they're all based on opinion, hence my first point.

I'm not honestly too sure about business. But I know some people said they despise it with a passion and find it very boring. But please don't take my word for it and ask your teachers, look at the spec and weigh it against P&G.
Reply 3
I did politics and economics at AS level last year, I loved Politics and absolutely hated economics (which I assume is the same/similar with business studies). Politics I found easy because it was pretty much just memorising stuff and writing it in an essay, I got an A in it for my AS (idk if its the same any more, apparently they've changed the course a bit). Economics I found a lot harder because in our exams they gave us articles about businesses and we had to analyse them and apply theory to them and I found it really complicated and boring. I worked so hard for the economics AS exam last year and I got a C :/

Keep in mind that these are all my personal opinions, your brain may work in a completely different way to mine so you may prefer economics. Also, I had a really awful economics teacher who had no idea what she was doing and I ended up dropping the subject. I love politics however, and you don't necessarily need to debate and argue, just be able to understand political ideas and structures and explain them well. I think its a really useful subject.
Original post by laffytaffy123
whichever you'd enjoy more.

what are your other A level choices?

Religious Studies and Psychology!!!
Original post by inoubliable
I'd go with whatever attracts you the most. Both have their negatives and positives.

If you're very opinionated and are very into politics, definitely go into politics and government. I'm also (hopefully) doing it next year. But, there are a lot of long essays to write - but they're all based on opinion, hence my first point.

I'm not honestly too sure about business. But I know some people said they despise it with a passion and find it very boring. But please don't take my word for it and ask your teachers, look at the spec and weigh it against P&G.

I know nothing about politics....and not very opinionated...but am good at Religious Studies!!! Should I take it???
Original post by TheologyQueen
I know nothing about politics....and not very opinionated...but am good at Religious Studies!!! Should I take it???

They work pretty well together, but I feel like if you don't have that passion and interest inside of you for politics, you will struggle with motivation, enjoyment and writing big essays, because you need to remember you're doing this for 2 years and you can't be doing something you don't enjoy. Any chance you could ask your teacher for a taster session so you have the general gist of it?

Also, I should clarify this is just my opinion and might not be the case with you.
Original post by inoubliable
They work pretty well together, but I feel like if you don't have that passion and interest inside of you for politics, you will struggle with motivation, enjoyment and writing big essays, because you need to remember you're doing this for 2 years and you can't be doing something you don't enjoy. Any chance you could ask your teacher for a taster session so you have the general gist of it?

Also, I should clarify this is just my opinion and might not be the case with you.

Thanks and I love your avatar..its sexy!!!
Original post by TheologyQueen
Thanks and I love your avatar..its sexy!!!

Hahahaha. Glad I could be of help :smile:
i do the new course for politics and what I have found is that people who have a wider interest in politics tend to be able to get As and A*s much easier as the new course rewards extra relevant knowledge. Business studies is similar to my other option (economics) which can be mastered by simply doing past papers of old spec and memorising the knowledge required. You can still do well at politics despite no prior knowledge and most people develop opinions whilst on the course as there is till lots to remember

Quick Reply

Latest